Factory manager block

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    factory manager block

Use: place down block, press c on the block and v on factories. Press r on block to open ui.

Purpose: a terminal that can be used to more easily manage many factories

Function:
    1. pressing r on block opens a gui that displays icons of factories representing each individual factory linked.
    2. left click on each respective factory icon turns off/on each respective factory --> easy to turn off/on factories. when a factory is on the black background behind the icon is the bluish color that appears when activating an inner ship remote.
    3. right click on each respective factory icon opens up a gui to alter factory production cap --> easy way to alter factory caps. the factory production cap is shown in small numbers next to the icon.
    4. Pressing r while mouse hovering on each respective factory icon opens up the factories gui to be able to remotely access each factory. In the factory manager, depending on what is being produced a "mini block" (like how the slaves for weapons are viewed as icons in the hotbar) to represent what is being produced is shown next to the factory icon.

Concept pictures:
    this is what the gui of the factory manager would look like

the above example represented as blocks

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    As far as I remember one of main Schine strategies is to avoid GUIs, and to configure everything by linking blocks because it's "easier for newbie to understand".

Reactions: JinM
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Purchased!
    As far as I remember one of main Schine strategies is to avoid GUIs, and to configure everything by linking blocks because it's "easier for newbie to understand".
    If that were true, we would not have GUIs to access the configuration of weapons, shields, power distribution, configuration of priorities, effects, mix weapons effects ... the current line of learning for "newbies" has ceased to exist, now not only you have to link blocks, now you also have to navigate between GUIS yess or yess, so that everything works correctly.

In my personal opinion, it would be great to be able to "centralize" all the aspects within starmade, that would give more "play" and at the same time more "realism", and that translates into more "fun". It's not impossible, maybe unprovable, but definitely, it would be great.

Reactions: rocketman221
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I understand the need, but yet another screen isn't the solution.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    I think you may be right, but... all the factories use inventories that - I believe - are technically a form of GUI anyway.

When I set up a manufacturing station with 10 or 15 different assembly lines making mostly weapon products, I am already dealing with a couple dozen GUI inventories. Having a single GUI from which I could manage them all would actually reduce the total amount of time and thought I have to invest in checking and re-checking those GUIs and keeping them straight in my mind.

Especially if it clearly showed linkages, pulls, activation states, production levels and what was being produced the way the "Reactor Chamber GUI" does so we could assess the state of a given assembly line at a glance, without checking the inventory of each box in that system.

The savings in GUIs comes at the cost of the player being forced to spend massive amounts of time getting into and out of various inventories.
    [doublepost=1531432413,1531432179][/doublepost]
    factory manager block

Use: place down block, press c on the block and v on factories. Press r on block to open ui.

Purpose: a terminal that can be used to more easily manage many factories
    This is a brilliant idea. I like the concept art as well - thank you for the time to do that.

What about something more like the current reactor chamber GUI? Recycle existing code, easy to see relationships and conditions at a glance?

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Purchased!
    It's just my personal opinion, but this would be what I would do:

- Make factory blocks could be "named", that would make each factory could be differentiated from others.
    - To be able to "link" those factories blocks, to a "console" block, in which when opening the GUI, there would be a list / grid with the factories names and his configs, like item to craft, items in internal storage, on&off ...
    - To open a specific factory, just click on its name, in that way it would be like doing R in the block itself.

Simple, efficient and powerful, I do not know why that path of unification has not been taken.