Factory automation-factorio style.

Reaction score
    So theres this game called factorio(great game, btw) but it's really unlike starmade in every way but factories, or assembling machines in factorio. You select the crafting recipe, the you insert materials in, or inserters insert materials in. Inserters take from the block behind it to the block infront of it. In and out of anything that has an inventory.
    The method of automation is that you can take intermediate products(gears, or paint, or armor hardeners) and put them into an assemnly machine to make final products, like transport belts or advanced armor. The system relies on constant input of power and base resources(copper and iron plates, or capsules, mesh, and composite), but uses constant crafting ratios to make a constant line of the final product.
    Ex;
    ingredient B>crafted object 1(A+B)<ingredient A>>crafted object 2(1+B)<ingredient B
    Copper plates> Copper wire>Electronic circut<Iron plates>>inserter<Iron plates

In this, one copper wire is crafted each tick, which is used to craft an E circut each tick, which is used to craft an inserter each tick. Each tick two iron plates and one copper plate are turned into one inserter. This is what I would wish for in starmade, this is my idea how:

I will use armor block crafting as an example, but this could be used for anything. Constant input of all base resources. Have a hull factory crafting hull, with 9 inhancers, (I'll refer to these as +x) so 10 hull is being crafted each tick. Have a Shardener factory+9 and it feed into a Sarmor factory+9. At this point 10 standard armor are being crafted each tick. This is important>>>Then, connect it to two storages with one pulling 2, and one pulling 8. Yes, the"amount pulled per second" variable. The one you always set at 9999999.... Because you don't care. Now we have a use for it. The 2 storage is a storage for standard armor, this is just stockpiling standard armor for when you need it, optional, but an example of the branching you can do.* The 8 storage goes to an Aarmor factory+8* The Aarmor gets Ahardener from a +8* Ahardener factory, which gets Ferkenteen ingots from a +8* Ferkenteen factory. Aarmor goes to a 2 pull storage(for colors), a 3 pull storage(for slopes and tetras ect.) and a 3 pull for stockpiling.*

This turns base resources to multible levels of armor in one branching chain. Every tick, 2 Sarmor, 3 Aarmor, and there are more branches able to be brought out for Aarmor colors and shapes. This could be used and expanded by adding more enhancers, or made modular into copy-paste segments to be fitted into free space(hmm...). It could be used for other things as well, this is just one example.

Someone try it for me. Tell me if it works. How'd it go?

*An additional idea for not losing efficency later, once the Sarmor storage gets full, is the Aarmor storage pulls 10, but is started a tiny bit after the Sarmor stockpile pulls, so once the Sarmor gets full it picks up the extra. The factory also is +10. All the Ahardener line gets +10, and All the sorters for Aarmor are turned to 3,3,4 respectively.

Reactions: Valck
    Reaction score
    I'm not giving up on this. It works. Just double all the storage values because storages have a tick rate a lot slower than factories. Takes a bit of effort too.

[Edit] Do I have to call this a bump? I had to change the instructions.

Reaction score
    So theres this game called factorio(great game, btw) but it's really unlike starmade in every way but factories, or assembling machines in factorio. You select the crafting recipe, the you insert materials in, or inserters insert materials in. Inserters take from the block behind it to the block infront of it. In and out of anything that has an inventory.
    The method of automation is that you can take intermediate products(gears, or paint, or armor hardeners) and put them into an assemnly machine to make final products, like transport belts or advanced armor. The system relies on constant input of power and base resources(copper and iron plates, or capsules, mesh, and composite), but uses constant crafting ratios to make a constant line of the final product.
    Whether you call it Factorio-style, or Infinifactory-style, the idea isn't original, nor is it monopolized, and I certainly find it appealing;
    however in my perception it is not so much the representation, as rather the underlying recipes, that are the continued source of argument, whether they are too complex, or not internally consistent enough, or not following some kind of "logical" composition, and that wouldn't change if you replaced the current master/slave "pipes" with inserter/belt connections.

It would certainly improve the looks, that much should be obvious, but as much as I'd love to see it, I think the effort required is not justified at the moment.

However, considering the system internally already works as if there were invisible inserters and conveyors, I think it might be something for later in the development process; when the basic systems are in place, and the focus is on balance and polish. Maybe it would be justifiable to give their representation a low-effort overhaul now, to indicate that something more impressive is (possibly) going to take their place later.

Reaction score
    Whether you call it Factorio-style, or Infinifactory-style, the idea isn't original, nor is it monopolized, and I certainly find it appealing;
    however in my perception it is not so much the representation, as rather the underlying recipes, that are the continued source of argument, whether they are too complex, or not internally consistent enough, or not following some kind of "logical" composition, and that wouldn't change if you replaced the current master/slave "pipes" with inserter/belt connections.

It would certainly improve the looks, that much should be obvious, but as much as I'd love to see it, I think the effort required is not justified at the moment.

However, considering the system internally already works as if there were invisible inserters and conveyors, I think it might be something for later in the development process; when the basic systems are in place, and the focus is on balance and polish. Maybe it would be justifiable to give their representation a low-effort overhaul now, to indicate that something more impressive is (possibly) going to take their place later.
    I guess I kinda saw how people used the general idea of the automation, especially after I actually joined multipayer factions and saw other ideas. I don't really mean using inserters and stuff to input and output, I just mean the multistep production style used in those games working in starmade.

The idea works, I can even make it modular to a point. Some limitations like factories not remembering their recipies makes it hard to make to many modular factories, but I managed to make grey, black, and blue advanced armor in a 17 by 2 by 3 rectangle in three segments. I might have been able to shave 15-20 blocks if I hadden't been so so focused on making them perfect rectangles.