Factories on ships

Reaction score
    I know this subject has been beat to death, however I would like to have the option to have a factory ship and be like a nomad roaming from system to system collecting resources for my factory. I find it annoying to have to return to a 'Home Base' just to process the resources. Sometimes this means a 200km trip (read boring).

I also would like to be able to place a faction hub block on my mobile factory providing me the same home base protection.

Some will say that is unfair as a mobile factory could set up in another factions space. My solution to this is to require no turrets be allowed on such a factory ship thereby making it unwise to camp where a faction is located.

I know this is an unpopular option but I really don't like having to be tied to one sector and would like to be able to explore more.

Your opinions either good or bad are welcome along with any suggestions that would help.

Thanks for taking the time to reply :)

Reactions: Megacrafter127
    Reaction score
    @starhaiden No me neither, ships should be able to be bases (Peoples ships span sector-wide compared to buggy planets and shitty stations.) but must have something like being temporarily stationary whilst manufacturing, or something. I think it was Calibri who suggested an 'anchor block' that converts a ship to a station, but I agree that staying in one spot isn't too interesting. (maybe the universe update will fix this.)

Things like Plexlifters and Undeathinators on ships have been requested for a while, essential for any base, but I think we can't have them because of how the physics might handle them. (IE undeathinator might respawn someone out of the ship, plexlanders spaz out).

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    with FTL 200km wouldn't be as bad.

i've always loved for there to be some kind of way to "drop anchor" for ships. Physics lock them like stations. so I could see a possible way to make factories on ships only useable when its anchored. as a down side to anchoring ships should have severely decreased energy regen. meaning that it still will have shields and turrets will still work but without power shields won't regenerate very fast and turrets (unless self powered) will run out of energy.

Reaction score
    I really like the idea of being able to anchor a 'factory ship' in place prior to manufacturing. I could use a mobile station to move from sector to sector then anchor it, with home base protection, before garhering resources.

I still think that having the same protection as a home base is valid but only while anchored.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    I really like the idea of being able to anchor a 'factory ship' in place prior to manufacturing. I could use a mobile station to move from sector to sector then anchor it, with home base protection, before garhering resources.

I still think that having the same protection as a home base is valid but only while anchored.
    the only thing I'm concerned with is it being abused. just make a lag-titan sized ship and use it as a shield while its parked

Reaction score
    The protection should follow the same as a home base, base and everything docked to it is protected. But if you leave your ship undocked then it can be attacked successfully

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    What are plexlanders actually? I saw them in the game, they have an id and everything, but they don't have a crafting tree.

But i would like factories on ships, it would make things a whole lot easier. But most of the problems will get sorted if you can mark the spot where your factory is.

Reaction score
    What are plexlanders actually? I saw them in the game, they have an id and everything, but they don't have a crafting tree.

But i would like factories on ships, it would make things a whole lot easier. But most of the problems will get sorted if you can mark the spot where your factory is.
    They were meant to be magnetic 'landing gear' types things I believe.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Issues:
    1. Make an invisible (now mobile) home base out of open plex-doors. Hide inside and take NO damage.
    2. If the attacker is exhausted (no power tank, high-reload weapons on cool-down) you put your little nose with gun-output outside the protected volume and fire.
    3. If he his shields are lowered enough (while you are still fine), chase him down.

To avoid exploits:
    1. Protection/Anchor should require a warm-up time of maybe 30 seconds or a minute and have similar cool-down.
    2. Turrets should cease to work.
    3. Only allowed in non-station, non-planet maybe only in void sectors.

But personally I prefer:
    1. FTL
    2. Wormholes for long distances (gives some kind of faction-territory feel)

Reaction score
    Issues:
    1. Make an invisible (now mobile) home base out of open plex-doors. Hide inside and take NO damage.
    2. If the attacker is exhausted (no power tank, high-reload weapons on cool-down) you put your little nose with gun-output outside the protected volume and fire.
    3. If he his shields are lowered enough (while you are still fine), chase him down.

To avoid exploits:
    1. Protection/Anchor should require a warm-up time of maybe 30 seconds or a minute and have similar cool-down.
    2. Turrets should cease to work.
    3. Only allowed in non-station, non-planet maybe only in void sectors.

But personally I prefer:
    1. FTL
    2. Wormholes for long distances (gives some kind of faction-territory feel)
    Issues:
    1 but you cant activate a coaker while anchord
    2 you would also have to have shealds on a ship like that other wise you would be shreded buy the smallest fighters and dont forget there are ai ships that you can activate and have them fly out of the anchored ship not hard to rig with the logic system in game so comes to minde that they could be heavaly defended in attacking too so high shealds and recharge rate is a high thing on the mindes when attacking a station. along whith rapid fire so it would be a big ship not a fast fighter.
    3 true but he could have a aly in a big stelthed ship waiting for you to leave the saction of your anchord ship

To avoid exploits:
    1 longer then 30 seconds or a min i feel it shold be at least 4-5 min to keep people from over useing it and move only when they need and or anchor when they need.
    2 turets should have a time of reset when you anchor or become a ship when you anchor shold take like 1 min to 2 min to give it a fair time to take down the anchored ships shealds down if can or take out the turets.
    3 only able to become an achored ship if there is nothing in the sector that would also prevent you from building a new station in the sector.
    4 all turet shealds should have to recharge to keep people from haveing the station/ship from giveing it shealds all the time have it have to recharge the shealds on them both anchoring and from unanchoring.

Reaction score
    You could counter some of this with an "interference bug".... if the ship has a factory is running, it interferes with shields, draining them or completely disabling them... it could also disable cloaking. And this could apply if any factory is turned on, regardless if it is actually making anything...

In this way, a ship has to switch modes between factory and "combat"... leaving them very vulnerable while manufacturing anything, even capsules. A station, as it cannot move, ignores this issue but a ship would in essence be helpful while their systems are focused on building, leaving them only able to move....

Just a thought...

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I think it would be easy to have factory blocks on ships. Just slow production WAY down when on a ship (for balance) and synchronize all the factory clocks so they all process at the same time (for reduced CPU processing load).

What's the current cycle time on a factory block? 15 sec? Make it 60 sec or 120 sec on a ship. Or just multiply by ten for a nice 150 sec cycle time.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Mobile, invincible homebases is a horrible idea.

I agree with jayman38, increased production time for ship based factories (vibrations from engines slow it down or something) would be fine.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I personally don't see any reason why we shouldn't be allowed to use factories on ships. Naval vessels have whole machine shops in them, and voyager built the delta flyer on board, twice. Even some military aircraft have some basic fabrication equipment aboard. With 3d printers, it's only going to become more common.

No to the invincible ships though. There is already a mechanic for that anyway, just place a station block with a docking module, and home base it. I could do it in about a minute. The drawback is the money.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    You could counter some of this with an "interference bug".... if the ship has a factory is running, it interferes with shields, draining them or completely disabling them... it could also disable cloaking. And this could apply if any factory is turned on, regardless if it is actually making anything...

In this way, a ship has to switch modes between factory and "combat"... leaving them very vulnerable while manufacturing anything, even capsules. A station, as it cannot move, ignores this issue but a ship would in essence be helpful while their systems are focused on building, leaving them only able to move....

Just a thought...
    Ships will have "factory modules" aka "docked factory ships", thus I think this will not be a huge drawback.

What's the current cycle time on a factory block? 15 sec? Make it 60 sec or 120 sec on a ship. Or just multiply by ten for a nice 150 sec cycle time.
    Hey! Always multiply by 2, 4, 8, 16, 32... :p

But I don't think this will stop peoples from making factories on ships exclusively. 1 ship or 10 stations? I guess many will pick the one ship.

I think this would be bad for modular station building (with ships) also since you can not move single party anymore if they are too big for a copy+paste or when station building is not instant anymore.

I personally don't see any reason why we shouldn't be allowed to use factories on ships. Naval vessels have whole machine shops in them, and voyager built the delta flyer on board, twice. Even some military aircraft have some basic fabrication equipment aboard. With 3d printers, it's only going to become more common.
    My opinion.
    But I think there should be something that requires stations too (just something to keep in mind)

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    But I don't think this will stop peoples from making factories on ships exclusively. 1 ship or 10 stations? I guess many will pick the one ship.

But I think there should be something that requires stations too (just something to keep in mind)
    Yes, I'm not concerned about requiring bases. I don't think a player should absolutely require a home base. They should be able to have a home ship. Vulnerable, mobile, but still able to make anything, if slowly. Therefore, my suggestion simply suggests a factory slow-down. Ships that are big enough are cities in space, just like a large-enough sea-going vessel can be a city at sea. There's no logical reason to keep factories off ships. Maybe they can shut down completely in combat. (We already know when we are in combat: shields recharge at a slower rate.)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    I have the same request. It would be great having factories on ships. I don't want a facton-jome-ship which is invincible and also there could be a handicap for factories on ships like less efficiency, but as like as the thread-founder, I want to be more mobile and flying through the universe like a nomad.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    I have the same request. It would be great having factories on ships. I don't want a facton-jome-ship which is invincible and also there could be a handicap for factories on ships like less efficiency, but as like as the thread-founder, I want to be more mobile and flying through the universe like a nomad.
    As much as i agree...
    Dat necro though o_o