Factories on Ships

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I was attempting to recreate a space vessel from another game and was disappointed at the lack of ability to place factory inputs onboard a ship. This gave me an idea.

Allow factory inputs to be placed on ships - just don't let factory input ENHANCERS be placed on ships. This allows small scale manufacturing of assorted components, and should you be able to manufacture medical supplies / weaponry / armor / etcetera, this would be a perfect solution for onboard replenishment.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Yeah. I am not entirely sure why factories, spawn points and elevators are not allowed on ships. Though I would expect it is more to do with the game engine. It would be nice to have factories on ships. Though at the same time it does encourage some sort of base construction.

Reaction score
    I don\'t know who I am kidding... Factories of any size would be amazing to have on ships. I live out in the 100\'s on a few servers. Roaming about in a corvette of many uses. Mining asteroids and creating temporary space camps for when I have to sleep. But my ship gets damaged from encounters with other players when I enter the actual playing area near the spawn. I simply cannot repair myself in deep space. Sure there are shops. But I don\'t like to spend the money for 5 hulls and then hop to the next place. A factory, no matter how small, would be huge help. I can reproduce the material I need. A mobile factory would be a thing to dock on a ship and bring with you when you visit a friend. Or your building some turrets in deep space and you find you need some more shields. You just make them. This presents the idea of a more sustainable nomadic lifestyle.

Oh also, elevators are already pretty damn glitchy and being on ships would make it worse. But I like the idea of a plex undeathinator.

Reaction score
    For one, all three would be subject to glitches as the ship entity is a mobile one and its nearly impossible to remember where all ships are in unloaded sectors just for undeathinators. Lifts pose a problem when the ship is not upright, or part of it is destroyed or not loaded yet. Factories cannot be trusted handling items between eachother in a ship that is vulnerable to enemy fire, so that\'s more of a safety issue.

Reaction score
    Well repair using factories became nigh impossible for basically everyone due to the silly recipe requirement. Even though the old system was a pain to use due to all the recipes listed, It at least had logic and variable scale to it.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    \"Factories cannot be trusted handling items between eachother in a ship that is vulnerable to enemy fire - ShadowHunter12 \"

I believe I didn\'t make myself clear enough in the OP - I meant having single non-networked factory blocks on ships to manufacture items with minimal automation.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I believe this idea has merit and am bumping it so it can be reviewed again.

For anyone who doesn\'t find the OP clear enough: I am suggesting for single non-networked factory inputs to work functionally on ships, but NOT networked factory inputs OR factory input enhancers.

If you wanted to nerf it further, you could limit the amount of factory inputs to mass/100 or even mass/500.

SkyHawk024

Mandalorian ShipWright.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I have been building my own custom rendition or a CR-90 i currently have two as you can see my first rendition in my avatar which is named the Far Star (i based it off one in star wars look it up in wookiepeediea) and i could use a small factory on my ship in all respects any large ship should have a engineering room where you can build parts to replace broken or worn ones it makes sense to me!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    None of these things listed are really any sort of engine limitation.

Ships already have a frame of reference specific to them, or they wouldn\'t be able to carry around their own structures. Them being mobile isn\'t really an issue when you realise that planets are actually mobile too.

Gravity works well on ships, so the lifts should have no problem being the same on them as opposed to be being on stations. You can come up with the same collision issues on a station as you can on a ship.

Factories also shouldn\'t be a problem with getting broken up by enemy fire. Again, this can happen to a station. Not to mention someone building and removing a link, it doesn\'t just crash the game, it simply stops making use of that link.

Undeathinators wouldn\'t be a problem. There\'s already a server command for teleporting to a player; spawning at a specific undeathinator would simply have the undeathinator ID saved to the player and would use the teleport command to get there. It would be fraught with frustrations though. If the ship is moving when you respawn and you\'re not in the gravity, you could end up being left behind in deep space.. but this is more a problem of ship physics at the moment. If the ship was destroyed, you\'d lose your spawn point etc. (which can also happen with unshielded stations, but it just resets to 2, 2, 2 I assume?).

I think the reason they\'re not placable on ships is so there\'s some more incentive to build stations, aside from the faction home being shielded.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I am well aware of this. That\'s why I made the suggestion I did - so the incentive to place manufacturing facilities on stations is still viable.

Reaction score
    When we eventually get handheld weapons / jetpacks etc, I think that it would be good if specific ship based factory blocks to create them on your ship, so that you can at least build weapons or maybe weapon blocks / computers on your ship; where as more mass construction type work stays in a space station / construction yard as you would assume such work could be too big on a ship itself.

Reaction score
    It would allow you to break your obligatory bond to constant places in the universe. Besides think about the adventures you can go without the necessity to return. It would be like the Arc Hammer from Star Wars or Pride of Hiigara from Homeworld.