Faction/Ship Permissions/Protection

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hey guys. Recently got into Starmade and started up my own server. The only thing about this game that I don't absolutely love is the permissions system (which I know will likely be added). Factions are tiny right now because no one trusts each other enough to send out invites. I read up on the wiki and sometime in the past (Or planned for the future?) There was password protected faction modules.

I don't think this is enough.

I hate to bring up another game - but there is a Minecraft plugin called WorldEdit (and WorldGuard). It allows you to select a cuboid region and choose protection and permission rights for that region. What I am suggesting for starmade is that it have a series of blocks for selecting and protecting regions on a ship.

Security block: The main block where you would edit protected regions. pressing r would bring up a interface that showed a list of all the regions on the ship. You could select a region here and edit names added or removed to/from the region, and what the permissions for the region are (Use/build/destroy, etc). Only one of these could be added per ship. This block would be connected to a faction module.

RegionBlock1: The first corner of the region. Place it in conjunction with a second block to set a cuboid shape

RegionBlock2: Same as above, second corner.

Reciever Block: Region Blocks would be connected to this block, which in turn is connected to the security block. When you connect two region blocks to this block, you would have the option of creating a new region. There would be x amount of channels on each ship, and a list of free channels would be displayed to choose from. You pick a channel and the name of the region, and it is added to the security block.

Sub users: Those given a sub-users permission within a given region would have the ability to add others to that region as well.

This would allow people to properly protect ships. Not only that - it would allow for several crew members to operate a ship without having access to the entire thing. You could set up crew quarters and weapons stations without worrying about members stealing from the cargo holds or piloting the ship and taking off.

Hardcore PVP servers could allow for Security blocks to be hacked by an enemy faction member holding R on the block. This would only work if guns were added for players, because people would breach hulls and then constantly just hack the terminals (Or...turrets on the inside of ships.)

Anyways. I can be pretty bad at explaining myself, so if I've confused the Llamas off you, ask me for a better explanation.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Region blocks would not work well since they would have to be placed outside a spherical ship, since you cant create a cuboid from inside the sphere to completely encompass the sphere. There shouldn\'t be protected regions, but rather the ship should be protected as a whole from certain things such as faction members entering flight mode, build mode, entering chest blocks, creating a new blueprint from being in a part of the ship (core/computer/cpu) or placing/destroying blocks. This way faction members could still enter weapons systems as crew members, whilst not being able to actually steal your ship or its blueprint.

Otherwise:

+Support

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Your way is a lot less complicated. When you get to something massive like faction planets though - you wont want to give faction members access to every chest on the planet.