Faction Permissions

Which of the following features would you like Permission blocks to have?

• It's all fine as it is.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    When building stations 'open to public' I have realized how annoying the Permission block is. Both in design restrictions, and actual use by others.

I would like to know your opinion on the following ideas:

1). Let the Permission block be a single block in your station/ship, that can have an on/off state, to toggle permissions on any object it is linked to. Or perhaps, make it so that it does the exact same thing the previous Permission block did, only now incorporating links between the object and the Permission.

2). Give the Permission block an additional interface with extra options;
    - Set what rank can use what stuff.
    - Block a storage, or door from anyone else using it. (very useful to prevent insiders unfactioning your homebase, or in open factions, where everything usually gets stolen.)
    - Allow only allies to use something, or prevent only foes from using something.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    This is a definite must in my opinion. Excellent suggestion all around, good sir! :D

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I want any way to force doors to not open from activating them directly, but requiring logic to do so.

I don't mind no links between faction permissions and block arrays as long as I can force them to only work with logic and use permission next to triggers.
    Connected to logic, it does not need it's own on/off state, but would look nice though (and maybe save one block).

Reaction score
    Always a useful feature. Faction-specific, for the most part.

Reaction score
    Maybe there could also be a setting that locks weapons and you can only access the weapons on the ship if you built it, or you where a certain rank.
    there should also be a way to lock thrusters so people don't steal your ships

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    Maybe there could also be a setting that locks weapons and you can only access the weapons on the ship if you built it, or you where a certain rank.
    there should also be a way to lock thrusters so people don't steal your ships
    As I suggested, there should be a way to lock every activateable block. This includes computers, and cores. (You can prevent stealing by locking the core instead of thrusters. Locking thrusters would be a bit hard to implement.)

Reactions: NeonSturm

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    As I suggested, there should be a way to lock every activateable block. This includes computers, and cores. (You can prevent stealing by locking the core instead of thrusters. Locking thrusters would be a bit hard to implement.)
    Agree, but why should locking thrusters be hard to implement?

Please comment in http://starmadedock.net/threads/generic-array-computer.2076/
    If thrusters and weapons are connected to a multi-purpose computer (though can only handle 1 type of blocks at the same time), we can add cannons, thrusters, everything to computers -> easier to lock down.

How is the linking of blocks solved? I always hear "3 byte per block", but how is it stored what is linked to what?
    Is it only more important with "3 byte per block", because these bytes have to be transferred from cpu-ram to gpu-ram?

Reaction score
    I would prefer to have the permissions to be more like a generic whitelist, meaning it would be more useful to non-factioned players as well, by allowing only chosen friends, regardless of faction, on-board ships.

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    How is the linking of blocks solved? I always hear "3 byte per block", but how is it stored what is linked to what?
    Is it only more important with "3 byte per block", because these bytes have to be transferred from cpu-ram to gpu-ram?
    Well, I assumed it was quite easy to implement. After all, logic can already link itself to doors, lights, etc.

Agree, but why should locking thrusters be hard to implement?

Please comment in http://starmadedock.net/threads/generic-array-computer.2076/
    If thrusters and weapons are connected to a multi-purpose computer (though can only handle 1 type of blocks at the same time), we can add cannons, thrusters, everything to computers -> easier to lock down.
    Yes, but in the current state of the game, thrusters have no computer. And so I imagined it would be hard to lock every thruster block down at once.