Faction Modules - Should be detectable

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I'm going to make a video that shows you the location of all the faction modules in the pirate stations. I've found most of them.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    It would be interesting if, in order for a faction block on a planet to work, it had to be linked to an antenna that extended x blocks above the surface. The fluff reason behind something like this would be that the faction block needs the antenna in order to send ownership information to the planetary homeowners association or whatever.

If the antenna is never built the faction block would never claim the planet. If the antenna is destroyed, the owner(s) of the faction block would have an admin configurable amount of time to fix it or build a new one before the faction block stopped working. But even after that time has elapsed, a new faction block could not be placed until the old one is destroyed.

In order to find the faction block, one must follow the antenna blocks back to the source. And in order to keep the faction block difficult to find, the owner(s) could lay down several fake paths of antenna blocks, to create a sort of underground maze, that could perhaps one day be filled with traps.

Doing this would make it very difficult to just run up and claim someone else's planet. As well as prevent someone from claiming every planet in sight absent any real effort, since they would need to invest in the antenna blocks as well as some defenses to protect them, in order to make disabling and/or finding the faction block a non-trivial task.

In the short term, a solution to planet stealing may be to reveal a faction block on any planet that has nothing built on it (by the faction block owner) within x hours of the block being placed.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I suppose you could use a handheld device to search for faction modules, and just turn all neutral AI hostile when one is used in the area. It might be better to wait until NPCs are improved so that they can be deployed throughout a ship or across a planet to stop an invader with a scanner. To further balance the features, data from the device could be somewhat cryptic, such as a readout of "warmer"/"colder" every 5 seconds rather than a pinpoint or even general location.

It seems to me the feature would be easier to balance as a handheld device. It would require being out of a ship and vulnerable to use, and thus it could be countered by NPC guards, anti-personnel turrets, etc. It would be awkward but possible to use a ship to assist in removing a faction block, but that involves firing on whatever you're trying to remove the block from. If it has turrets, there's a good chance it will return fire!

In the end, if whatever you're trying to de-faction is defended by AI, turrets, NPCs, etc. You will have to fight to tamper with it whether your objective is to capture or destroy the target. I think that's balanced enough.

Note included due to large amounts of borderline flame on this thread: If you disagree, tell me why and use politely worded, logically valid arguments.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    I personally think that a handheld scanner would work nicely with the cutting torch. Of course, when it's implemented, you can expect the faction block room to be heavily guarded. So until the team gets an idea of what the invader would be up against, it would be difficult to balance.

Should I post some of the countermeasures one might expect while boarding? Perhaps to further work out how the scanner should function?

EDIT: Clarifying, and adding additional statements.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    Well, I'd imagine the countermeasures would be much like defending a core. I have seen some posts on people using beacons to blind the player. Of course the scanner would probably negate this. Another possibility are turrets mounted on the walls and ceilings. Would only work after you've mined the block, unless they have neutral as enemies.
    Here are some more effective designs: Daves set to shoot anything that comes too close, turning the search for the faction module into a firefight, which is awesome. A hidden entrance, that if cleverly done, players won't immediately notice even if they are set to see docked entities. Of course this only delays the inevitable, so combining this with another trap would suddenly make it much more dangerous. A pulse system/ weapon system rigged to fire unless specific conditions are met. And of course, a haywire gravity room, which could effectively disorient/trap the invader, delaying him while another, more deadly trap arms(I suddenly realize how my brigs are going to work from now on).

Come to think about it, I may have to create a deadly ship of traps at some point to further explore this topic. Have some friends run the gauntlet, while I give them a general idea of whether they are getting warmer or colder.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    A handheld scanner would be the easiest to balance and guard against since people could stop the enemy from getting anywhere. I normally booby-trap my ships for these issues in case someone wants the ship badly enough. I'd at least like to be able to see where I've left hidden faction blocks of my own though. Can't tell you how many times I've berried a faction block like a squirrel and lost it. >_>