Faction Diplomacy (Alliances and Wars)

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Upon thinking for a while, I think something that is a bit detrimental to the factions scene as a whole, is the current diplomacy system. At the moment, faction A could be allied with faction B and faction C, yet B and C could be at war with each other. Faction D could declare war on faction B, and faction A still might not care in the slightest.

So how can we change this?

Suggestion for improvement:

1. Being able to create an actual alliance, where everyone is mutually allies upon joining the alliance, and they all automatically share enemies. If faction A, B, and C are all in an alliance, and faction A declares war on an enemy, the game would force B and C to as well.

What this allows:

1. This part is planned, and I know it. But I'll restate it anyways. Everyone belonging in an alliance would have access to an alliance-wide chat channel, allowing for more concrete communication between factions.

2. Faction permissions could gain a new setting, allowing alliance members to edit or use entities, making cooperation between factions easier, and more rewarding.

3. Instead of individual faction home bases, there could be an alliance home base. This would greatly lower the amount of individual-owned invulnerable structures, which, in my opinion, is not healthy for PvP. Also it rewards teamwork even more.

Now, on to how wars currently work. Most wars, to my knowledge, consist of the following events.

1. Faction A is angered by faction B, or otherwise motivated to declare war.

2. Faction A attacks faction B at the drop of a hat, and faction B auto-declares war as a result.

3. Faction B is very very sad about the current events, and proceeds to complain on forums or otherwise not enjoy themselves.

So how can we change this?

Suggestion for improvement:

1. Out of the blue hostile action on a faction other than one you belong to could be penalized. All your faction points could drop to zero, and disable FP gain for a while. To prevent this, you would have to manually declare war on the faction you wish to declare war on through the diplomacy tab. Doing so would trigger a 24 hour delay until the war actually starts, and you may engage without penalty. This delay should probably be adjustable through server configs.

What this allows:

1. Retaliation to a sudden attack. This would be especially so if my idea for alliances was implemented, as suddenly the people you just attacked on could have a fleet shelling your alliance's home base.

2. Time to prepare your faction/alliance for war. Even if it's very short notice, any notice at all I think would greatly reduce any kind of personal hatred towards other players, and encourage a fun, fair (lol) war.

3. Diplomacy! Perhaps your faction leaders could talk with their faction leaders before the war is declared, and get the war cancelled before it even happens. I doubt this would happen often, but I think having the option could only help.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    An alliance homebase would be nice, but it should be separate from faction homebases. If your alliance falls apart, you'll suddenly find yourself without a home, as if losing your allies wasn't bad enough.

Reaction score
    Some sort of grace period after war were declared would be excellent, since right now it is easily possible to just wait until everyone on the enemy faction is offline and then destroy their stuff out of the blue. Invulnerable homebases are basically the current means to prevent that, though they provide a host of problems in themselves.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Additionally, a great idea would be to have something that emails you when someone declares war on you, or for other faction happenings.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    The current war scenario you described is just perfect. Also, +1 for a well thought out and structured suggestion.

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    There could be big module effect bonuses too, and you could only place them at said alliance base.
    Stuff like, empire wide bonuses, to things like mining, block EHP, shield regen or energy regen. And only one can be on the structure, so its a pick and choose.

I would want to still keep home bases, but say, you need at least 3-5 players in your faction to be eligible to join an alliance

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Diplomacy! Perhaps your faction leaders could talk with their faction leaders before the war is declared, and get the war cancelled before it even happens. I doubt this would happen often, but I think having the option could only help.
    I like it, I like it alot.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    There could be big module effect bonuses too, and you could only place them at said alliance base.
    Stuff like, empire wide bonuses, to things like mining, block EHP, shield regen or energy regen. And only one can be on the structure, so its a pick and choose.

I would want to still keep home bases, but say, you need at least 3-5 players in your faction to be eligible to join an alliance
    Ooh, empire or faction-wide bonuses would be interesting. They'd probably be tough to balance though.