Extremely laggy mouse movement

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Hello guys, I have a question on you.
    Since few updates back I started to experience some serious mouse lags in Starmade.. I thought its because of a new bug, so I waited some time for the next update, hoping that it will be fixed. But after trying the game today I have to admit that it might went even worse.

I've been playing Starmade for two years or so, on the same laptop all the time. I've built some ships so I know where are the limits of my laptop. After building a ship I love to test it in a fight against the AI - and the laptop could handle 100+ smaller ships and simulate a fight with my new ship. Of course the FPS were really low, but if I used the alt+tab, the game just minimalized and the whole OS ran smoothly again.
    If I was just building something, everything was going smoothly too, only some rare lags when there was an auto save in progress.

But what happens now? When I start the game, it throws me into the main menu just fine. But when I start loading the game, the whole computer starts to lag.. When you enter the universe, then even while there are no "extreme" structures nearby (only a shop and my ship, which is made of 60k of blocks), the mouse lags so terribly, that you are unable to even point your mouse on anything.. There is literally a 2-3 sec delay between moving your mouse by your hand and moving a pointer of the mouse on your screen.. The game is totally unplayable in this state..

And the interesting thing is, that you have around 30 fps all the time while experiencing these lags.. And that this is not the case while you just have to wait, and when the loading of all entities is done, it becomes smooth again, like if you are near the planets. Another thing about this is, that the problem occurs even when you alt+tab the game (IF you manage to do that) - that mouse lag is so great that it is nearly impossible to even open the task manager to shut the game down.. And while in game, there is the same 2-3s delay between pressing anything and actually seeing something happen..

So it seems that the problem is in the CPU, which is unable to handle this game anymore, despite the fact that it was not a problem for more than 1 and 3/4 of a year before..

My question is - do anyone of you have an idea how to fix this? I would be really grateful for any suggestion :)

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Purchased!
    I had this the day after the update hit! I just changed the battery and it has been fine ever since!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    My laptop specs:

Model: Lenovo IdeaPad G505s
    CPU: AMD A8-4500M APU, 4x 1,9GHz, 2,8GHz Turbo core
    RAM: 8GB DDR3 1333 MHz
    GPU: AMD Radeon HD8570 + AMD Radeon HD 7640G

I tried to remove the battery, I vacuum cleaned the laptop, I also tried to run Avast antivirus.. Reinstalling the game didn't work too.. And I've never experienced the same problem in any other game..

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Max. memory: 4096MB
    Initial memory: 512MB
    Early gen memory: 128MB

Reaction score
    Max. memory: 4096MB
    Initial memory: 512MB
    Early gen memory: 128MB
    Ouch lol. What have you got the game settings set to? That ram is a little light. every update has made starmade more and more intensive to run. They're not focused on optimizing until beta

Also, I'm pretty sure splatthecat meant the mouse battery lol.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Mouse battery? lol :D Actually, that makes more sense :D But for now I've reinstalled Java, Starmade, all drivers and uninstalled unnecessary trash and cleaned old registry entries.. And nothing of it has helped me.. When I had a clean universe without blueprints loaded, everything was just fine, it looked that I managed to fix it...

But when I copied the blueprints folder back to the Starmade directory and restarted the game, that weird mouse lag was back.. It seems like if the game really uses all the CPU power to load everything just properly - and once everything is loaded, a little mouse movement does not lag the pc at all.. But when you move your camera in another direction (which differs from the initial angle more than, lets say, 30°), the computer gets into lag again, until everything on your screen is loaded.. This means that as long as you are moving your camera, you have a game breaking problem..

I really dont think that the problem is just in the number of allocated memory.. And I cannot increase that number, because I cannot give it 8192MB, because of the OS.. But what I really dont get is that it really worked fine for a really long time..

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    I've got 8.1 on my laptop. 6GB ram total, and I allocate upwards of 5000MB (don't remember the exact number) just fine. Try upping the memory in SM and see if that helps. If it doesn't you can always go back.
    [doublepost=1493578587,1493578416][/doublepost]Just looked some stuff up. how hot does your computer get when you play?

Sachys

Hermit.
    Reaction score
    Did you disable the touchpad when a usb mouse is plugged in? I've had problems with that myself, and this is often the fix. In other games I get less mouse lag, more erratic behaviour. In SM, its usually mouse lag (and windows 10 keeps reverting my settings, yay!).

I also have a Lenovo laptop, so worth a look.

Another thing to check - turn off windows "ink" and any touch related drivers / services that boot up on start.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Well, I read somewhere that Java runs smoother at power of 2 (2048, 4096...) rather than at any random value.. But I'll give it a try.. My touchpad is disabled all the time, I hate when I put my palm on it by mistake while I'm doing anything on the laptop, so I use only a mouse..
    About the temperature, as I've said, I tried to vacuum clean the laptop and I think that it is not that bad.. In fact, when I think about it more deeply, I can say that I found a problem with the turbo boost function of the CPU - when there is some task that requires a lot of CPU capacity, the CPU overclocks itself to 2,8GHz.. But I noticed that then the CPU starts to overheat, so it drops back to 1,9GHz, and that repeats again and again - maybe that might be the issue? I don't know..

But after reading some articles on the internet I found a solution that "somehow fixed the consequences of the problem" - the problem remains, but the game is at least playable in this state.. In the task manager I assigned high priority to explorer.exe and low priority to javaw.exe.. It still lags when there is something big to load (but you can still feel that the pc is in some serious lag, which didn't occured previously..)

It did not fix the problem, but as I said, at least it is playable now.. But if someone have an idea how to fix the problem once and for all, I'll be thankful :)

Reaction score
    Sounds like your processor overheating is the cause. Starmade is really cpu intensive, and if it's clock speed is dropping down that could do it. Not sure what you could do though. Hopefully it's something else. something that's easily fixed