Explosive cannon formula

Reaction score
    Hi all !

In the Starmadepedia, there is two differents 'formulas' for explosive effect :

"Damage dealt to surrounding blocks by a 100% Explosive Effect weapon is 1/6 of total damage (to each block adjacent to the point of impact). If a weapon penetrates, explosive damage is applied again, using the remaining damage."

"For damage beams and cannons an explosive effect is added. The damage dealt to the hit block is halved, the other 50% of the damage is spread over the six adjacent blocks. Damage to non-existent blocks is lost."

I want just know how work explosive effect exactly, thanks for your answers :) and sorry for my english ~

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Well the exactly....

It's a bit shady territory here it works different on every weapon system:

On missiles it increases the blast radius of the missile explosion. So more blocks take damage. The famous nuke/hulk missile being missile + pulse + explosion effect.

On cannon you get splash damage. Again more blocks take damage from the point of impact. Six in total so all the linear blocks that are in contact with the block you shot.

On beams well this one is tricky since beams are bugged. But overall it's like cannon but over the full length of the beam.

On pulse well i never used it with that so.
    :rolleyes:

Explosion effect is great to destroy system blocks after you have taken down an enemies shield. But beware if the target has shields then you won't do much if any damage. Because of this:

Effect weapon is 1/6 of total damage (to each block adjacent to the point of impact). If a weapon penetrates, explosive damage is applied again, using the remaining damage."
    On a shielded ship you do not penetrate any blocks so you only do 1/6 of the total damage and the rest is lost.

If anyone knows any corrections on the above or things to add please do!