Exploration Ideas

Reaction score
    Hello StarMade Dock, I have a new idea for Starmade that could really improve the game experience. I was on a server a while back when 3 people were chatting about how the stations in this game have no benefit to explore or go to right now.

Just a heads up this will be a selection of ideas I have thought about in my head as I would see it, Schine team and others are welcome to pick out the good bits and use them if you want.

Idea 1: Station and Planet Rethink

So as we all know a while back SMD had a community station building contest for Starmade. It was fun and the stations that came out of it were damn amazing (but outdated now), but sadly they have gone in decline. Because they were built in a build version that was using old docking systems and that the stations themselves have no real benefit to explore due to having no reward buried inside them, the only real appreciation for them now from most players is from the view of a large mining ship or target practice (and I did ask people what they do with them)

So how do we improve on this? I was thinking of having the contest run again, but instead of 5 of each station type, 50+ station BPs should ideally be chosen and collected, and each station depending on its purpose tell its own story of sorts, have Resources to loot and maybe even ships docked to it that can be stolen and used for your own purpose (if you're lucky)

Let me set up a Scenario for you…. (for a Derelict station)
    You Enter a New system in your ship, scanning your navigation menu you find a station IFF pop up. It’s a derelict station, you plot a course to the station to see if there is anything left there. You Stop your ship 1500m away from the station and observe a site to dock your ship and enter the station. You slowly pull up and dock.
    You exit your ship and proceed to the station airlock, you ready your flashlight and pistol before opening the door. Upon entering you are standing in the station's damaged main corridor, its high ceilings extend 20m high and support beams follow its side walls like vines to the roofing of the corridor where pipes and light fittings dangle from. You explore the station room by room, its lack of power and dark hallways make it feel hostile, you come across a series of logbooks accompanied with a generous amount of loot in the station. The logbooks describe the station as a research post that was in the middle of being assaulted by pirates. The crew fended off a boarding party of pirates, but the station lost power after it was destroyed, and the crew were stranded and presumed died here. You check the rest of the station for loot.

You come across the main hangar bay where its doors had been blasted open and signs of a serious battle are seen all around. Still docked in the hangar, a 10k mass pirate vessel still lingers there after its crew were killed, as well as more loot inside of it. You decide to take the vessel and dock your smaller one on to it and move on. you enter the vessel and pilot it into the distance and continue your journey.

Having a much larger variety of stations to find around the Starmade universe means that you're less likely to run into the same station all the time and frequently get bored of exploring. Gathering these blueprints for this can be handled in 2 ways in my opinion. 1) A large community contest that spans a decent amount of time for the community to post their stations in, from there they can select the X amount they want and announce the winners. 2) you can drip feed the stations into Starmade, each new update you add more default station blueprints into the game forever adding the variety if what you find on your game, but option 1 and 2 would work well at the same time.

Now I was also thinking of a new type of structure to find in Starmade, Planet Vaults/dungeons. Now these would be abandoned structures filled with huge stores of loot or high grade PVP/PVE ships that are heavily guarded by exterior and interior turrets, or Mobs (like the 4 legged spider with the built in laser pistol from way back when) in addition these structures could offer a bonus reward like marking ALL structures in the current systems around you (including shops planets stations and their types)
    the Vaults would be a higher progress option for looting and may require more than 1 Player to assault effectively.

But your probably thinking 'Crazyf22raptor you fool how does this relate to using your character more?'. Well you think about it exploring the stations/ structures would be hard in a ship and you would find more in character mode, granted you could just blow it all up and grab the loot but that’s just up to the player really, it is something you cannot fix.

I would really love to see this added into the game or at least parts of it, this would really improve the game and its functionality, offering an alternate way of starting the game and something to do in the meantime. Exploring in starmade is something I’ve always wanted to enjoy but sadly is not the case due to lack of meaning and diversity in stations and planets. All you need to do shine team is the Code behind it let the community do the stations for you, if you choose to do something like this.

Just for Laughs ill leave a Planet Vault sanario for you to read as well……

UIS abandoned bunker 00128 (ye I’m sorry I just wanted to use the alliance I’m in as a example of what the community could create.)

Your ship exits jump space over a Martian planet, your Team of 4 Players including you are preparing to land, before you enter the planets gravity you ship gets hit by a volley of missiles from the planet, the pilot returns fire from orbit while you and the other 2 buddies head to your ships hangar to use a shuttle. You land outside the vault's front door and prepare to open the front door. Upon opening you are confronted by 2 MOBSpiders that you proceed to take down with your rocket launcher. The 3 of you proceed into the vault while the 4th player in the ship finishes off the exterior turrets. You run into a command centre of sorts; terminals coat the walls and wiring from the ceilings creeps its way to a holo table of sorts in the centre of the room. You see a display module on one of the terminals that reads 'UIS regional bunker 00128, status abandoned'. Your buddies find 4 loot containers holding tons of storage and proceed to ferry the loot the there recently landed shuttle. You follow the 1 unexplored corridor to the end door passing crew bunk rooms along the way, you find a large hangar bay with a docked Hyperion class corvette in it. You enter the corvette and check its storage where you find several filled blueprints inside it. A jackpot find for your team. Your ship finally has dispatched the turrets and lands, so you can ferry resources into its bigger storage. You all cheer in the chat as you're now set for several days on your server. Your team read the logbooks collected on their way back to the base finding out what happened there and why its abandoned.

Reactions: Exozen

PLIX

Thats XCOM baby!
    Reaction score
    I suggested a similar idea a while back but your idea seems a a bit more fleshed out