Explination for why Lifters aren't allowed on ships? Anyone?

Reaction score
    Lifters on ships have been discussed time and time again but now I want to kill the topic once and for all.

I for one support them on ships. Why?

1) Gravity lifts are an overcomplicated mode of vertical transport. YMMV on this one

2) Lifters would make for much more interesting, efficient and realistic (sort of) ships.

3) There is no reason, balance wise, why they shouldn't be allowed.

Now I can think of only 1 argument against it, and it is a pretty strong one: bugs. Whilst flying at over 300 KM/h you may notice that your turrets start to spaz out, and I can assume that the same will happen to lifters.

I'd like a coder's perspective on this, because I really can't think of why they aren't allowed other than the above and I don't code, there may be something in the pipeline that I haven't thought about.

Reaction score
    I think they aren\'t allowed because it is difficult to synchronise their movement with that of a ship.

Reaction score
    True that, but they managed it with the player and other NPC\'s so why not lifters?

Reaction score
    Most likely because people would fall through them when the ship moves. Lots of collision calculations to move something, sounds evil for performance and could get unreliable quickly.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    It could be made simple.

Player.absolutePos = Player.relativePos + Ship.absolutePos while inside a ship\'s gravity.

Player.relativePos = Player.absolutePos - Ship.absolutePos to enter a ship\'s gravity.

Player.relativePos = Player.relativePos + PlexLift.plate.relativePos - Player.last_currentPlexPlate_relativePos.

It would be cool if PlexLifts would be ships which only collides with players. Joints(3 neighbour) and end of line (1) are stoppers. Collisions of the boundary box with blocks/players let it stop.

If you want it to go in one direction (controll with blocks with 6 sides like gravity) it follows the PlexLift line. It checks if that direction is free (outside boundary box)

The PlexLift ships can only go along an axis, one axis has to touch a PlexLift line from bottom to top or left to right or front to back and they require an odd boundary box to enable Plex lifts on that side. This axis and the dock behind are locked for a Lift-object if multiple are allowed.

Players can occupy the space in non-physical objects like Plants or forcefields or space inbetween blocks.

But this \"ship\" could also be a Plex-box automatically generated on joints or ends (stoppers) with activate-able faces and an activate-able PlexDoor at the opposite direction of the PlexLift.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I don\'t write this here.

Because I don\'t want it to spread over multiple topics, I made this: http://star-made.org/content/neonsturms-thread

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Whilst flying at over 300 KM/h you may notice that your turrets start to spaz out, and I can assume that the same will happen to lifters.

why are you even flying that fast anyway? that causes tons of bugs and physics tunneling issues. the game simply cant handle those kind of speeds well enough yet.

Turbolifts are a possibility; but what is most likely to happen is that we are going to have a modified version of \"docked\" ships on an object that move along a rail system inside the ship. this way you can actually build your own turbocars and synch to their gravity, and go upwards, downwards, left, right, back, front, and in any of those directions you want. as for \"turning\" a turbolift? i dont know if that is practical.

comparatively, the plexlifters, with their fragile and buggy static-shape objects (i wonder, do they still crash the game upon firing AMC\'s at them?), simply arent fit for this task, and they will probably be removed in the future.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    as for \"turning\" a turbolift? i dont know if that is practical

That would be no problem if you either have a cube or PlexLiftTurners.

They have 3 directions and 2 variations (clockwise, counter-cw). I don\'t know when stuff is rendered and when it\'s new position is calculated (should be done first).

In a docking-chain with fixed orientation, you just have to get hierachyTop.absolutePos. Also for your own absolute position, you have to know hierachyTob.orentation as well. (For all docked entities, you have to know just a shared x, y and z factor).

Maybe I should write a tutorial for all my ideas. And use the \"General Public License\" :P