exMachina Faction Home WIP

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Welp, with the new changes coming to things like cargo, my old little one man band station is going to be hopelessly too small. Its served me well these past couple months on this server, but its time to graduate to the big leagues.

starmade-screenshot-0009.jpg

starmade-screenshot-0002.jpg starmade-screenshot-0008.jpg starmade-screenshot-0000.jpg starmade-screenshot-0012.jpg starmade-screenshot-0010.jpg starmade-screenshot-0011.jpg starmade-screenshot-0004.jpg starmade-screenshot-0003.jpg

Apologies for the quality of the full thing so far, but black and red makes for a difficult thing to get good pictures of. But hey, its finally far enough along that I feel like I can show it off some!

Started with the titan shipyard there in the top middle, figured a couple of more reasonable sized shipyard were in order, so the ring yards on either side were added. Then well, it looked really silly to not have a main space at least somewhat to scale with the rest. Especially when I needed some really big warp gates as well...

So currently its a kilometer long, 1.5 kilometers wide, and only about 750m tall (haven't done anything to the bottom of the disk yet). But you can make out the planet eater mining ship down below that will dock and form the bottom of the station in about the location I think it will go in. So it'll probably hit 1.5km in height as well.

Not much done yet as far as interiors go, just the hallways in the docking arms and the transporter rooms at the very end of each. Oh, and a shipyard design room. As you can see in the second thumbnail there, I've got LOTS of space to fill with whatever I can come up with. Oh yeah, and I made Earth to sit in the open area above the park. It revolves. :)

Going to need lots of space, as I plan on logic'ing and rail'ing the hell out of this place. You can see the rail tracks for the rail cars to shuttle people back and forth along those long docking arms, and there's a picture there of the logic I'm using on just one of a pair of two part rail sliding doors. Rather happy with those doors, they slide open like trek doors, with extra logic to disable the rails when they aren't in active use to cut down on any lag they might produce.

Other than that, its currently got about 200 million energy storage and 7.5 million e/sec without any docked generators. Figured I don't need docked generators when I'm building a station on this scale. Its not like I don't have a couple hundred million metal mesh and crystal composite sitting around that are going to be taking up cargo space if I don't use 'em.

Defense wise, no shields since it'll be a home station, but currently has five 100m long main turrets, 28 overdrive cannon/cannon turrets, and only about a dozen point defense turrets (gotta add more of those). Going to be adding at least 4 more of the big guns then probably call it good.

---

Current plans are to have a kind of reverse DS9 promenade in the center of the disk. Big open central area, rings of shops and RP spaces surrounding it, etc. Dev said that the shop block would be getting replaced by an actual NPC that will need shop space, so I figure I'll plan ahead and make dozens of shop spaces that can be filled with RP decorations for now, and whatever neat NPC stuff we get later on as needed.

Going to make individual faction member quarters using rail doors tied to logic lock keypads so that faction members can have their private rooms that only they can open by punching in the correct key code. Will add some private cargo area behind those locked doors as well so they can keep their own personal stashes.

Then split the whole disk up into quarters for faction levels should those ever really get sorted out. Each quarter will have it's own faction cargo space, its own set of factories, etc with the factories and stores locked away behind more rail doors.

And then I'll have my own personal mansion area somewhere in there behind a couple of extra complex logic locked doors to keep my fairly massive stores in, as well as the shipyard computer for the titan shipyard. Faction members will be able to use the smaller ones, but the big one is going to be all mine... mostly because I will want to be able to link that to my personal stores in order to actually build a titan with.

Kind of amusing, actually. The space I have set aside just for the main cargo storage areas is actually big enough for my current station to fit inside of. Luckily the server owner just set the sector size to 4km instead of the default 2km, I was getting kind of worried about trying to actually spawn this monstrosity into the server (as I'm building this in single player creative mode, and I'll blueprint it to start filling in with blocks on the server).

Reactions: Rumcajz

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Forgot to grab pictures of the outside after I've added to the bottom, but I did grab shots of where I'm starting the interior.

starmade-screenshot-0006.jpg

Line on the right is just a series of public factories. Each one is a small room with two sets of factories, pull storage, a refinery, and a micro-assembler. One set will be 1x linked factories, the other will be 10x. Intended for non-faction member use, just whoever swings by and needs to craft something. Not really much to see there, just simple little rooms with factories on either side.

The other branch there so far is my food and games section.

So far I have a restaurant, complete with kitchen and bathroom:
    starmade-screenshot-0008.jpg starmade-screenshot-0007.jpg starmade-screenshot-0009.jpg

And a racquetball court:
    starmade-screenshot-0005.jpg

Thinking I'll need to at least add a holodeck room to the games area, simply because it'll be so easy to make a black room with yellow grid. Maybe try and figure out how to build an arcade.

In the center is my world tree/main park, with a really simple little almost hedge maze and some benches:
    starmade-screenshot-0010.jpg

Other two arms are going to be guest quarters/hotel rooms, and a shopping district. And somewhere in the middle of the wedges there will be the elevators going up to the biodome. Outside of the promenade ring is where I'll start putting in the faction member areas with the real factories and storage areas. I'm actually thinking about doing docked faction member rooms so that they can modify their own rooms. Default for everyone will be basically a bedroom, livingroom with attached kitchen, bathroom, and a modest sized cargo area for personal storage. Gonna be banking on the idea that future updates will allow more granular control over keeping personal stuff in a faction base.

And of course seeing how large it is, the small rooms on far sides of each other are site to site transporter rooms. There are other transporter rooms at the end of the docking arms, and these two give the option of porting straight to the manufacturing or shopping districts. The docking arms also have rail cars that will shuttle people that don't like transporting around in and out faster.

Gasp, I'm doing fully walkable interiors, rail elevators and cars, AND still using internal transporters to let people jump around. And people whined that nobody would do that if they could just transport around at will...

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Must slab all the things...

Restaurant with kitchen and bathroom, slabbed.
    starmade-screenshot-0021.png starmade-screenshot-0024.png starmade-screenshot-0022.png starmade-screenshot-0023.png

Hotel/Guest rooms added and slabbed, each with zero lag automatic rail doors:
    starmade-screenshot-0015.png starmade-screenshot-0014.png starmade-screenshot-0029.png

Had joked around a while back that this station was so big I could put a strip joint in there just to fill space, so I did. Complete with side rooms and backstage:
    starmade-screenshot-0016.png starmade-screenshot-0018.png starmade-screenshot-0017.png

Last edited:

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Misc stuff. Holodeck, the public factories, the rail cars in the long docking arms:
    starmade-screenshot-0020.png starmade-screenshot-0026.png starmade-screenshot-0027.png

Slabbing the roofs of hallways for more texture:
    starmade-screenshot-0025.png

Some better quality exterior shots (heh, still can't get the whole thing to load into one shot even with cranked up settings):
    starmade-screenshot-0015a.png starmade-screenshot-0014a.png starmade-screenshot-0016a.png

The lava vat canisters are actually going to be my primary raw materials cargo areas. I figure if I can fill those to overflowing with capsules, it might be time to take a break from mining for a few years...

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    starmade-screenshot-0012.png
    I think that counts as a bit of progress.

Got the shopping district added in.
    starmade-screenshot-0009.png starmade-screenshot-0010.png starmade-screenshot-0008.png
    Not a whole lot to the shops at the moment, just some display counters and a locked storage room for their cargo supplies. And learning to cram the rail door logic into ever more cramped spaces.

Oh, and figured out what else I could put in the entertainment district, a movie theater!
    starmade-screenshot-0006.png starmade-screenshot-0007.png
    I call the movie "Sunny Day". Its actually a remake, the original was better. Not as good as the book, but still.

Also, I swear this wasn't intentional, but check out the overhead shot of the ceiling of the strip club. Its totally a 6 eyed alien woman.
    starmade-screenshot-0013.png

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Okay, took a break from working on this, got back to work on it today. Going to need a couple posts for all the pictures.

Exterior glamour shot:
    starmade-screenshot-0001.png

The public factories got their cargo space for the factories/refineries/assemblers added outside of the rooms where they won't be seen.
    starmade-screenshot-0010.png

Got the dome over the central park tree finished, with lots of rings of parseen crystal for lighting, because damn does it take a lot of lighting to keep that big of an interior space from being a dark dungeon. Found a neat trick too. I put lights inside of the foliage of the tree to light it up. From ground level, you can't make out the internal lights because they just look like you're seeing one of the light rings behind it.
    starmade-screenshot-0011.png

Public medical center:
    starmade-screenshot-0008.png starmade-screenshot-0009.png

It almost starts to look like I'm getting some good amount of interior going... until I pull back and see that its just barely starting to fill the middle. Oh well, lots of room for cargo I guess.
    starmade-screenshot-0026.png starmade-screenshot-0028.png

Speaking of cargo, the lava tubes are my main refined material storage containers. Each one holds four towers of cargo space holding a volume of 3.4 million per tower. One tower of cargo space per refined resource type (parseen, macet, etc) This is officially so much cargo that the game begins to glitch and refuses to show them all. These are actually solid all the way up, the engine just kinda goes "Nope, I'm not drawing all that!" and cuts some chunks out of them.
    starmade-screenshot-0003.png

Last edited:

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    My personal apartment, a.k.a. the faction leader's quarters, is located directly behind the main emblem.
    starmade-screenshot-0023.png starmade-screenshot-0013.png

Master bedroom, with flatscreen television and dressers:
    starmade-screenshot-0018.png starmade-screenshot-0019.png

Along with full bath, which includes both a shower and a tub:
    starmade-screenshot-0020.png starmade-screenshot-0021.png

Living room with attached kitchen (looks like somebody left the refrigerator door open):
    starmade-screenshot-0015.png starmade-screenshot-0014.png starmade-screenshot-0016.png starmade-screenshot-0017.png

Reactions: Blodge and Rumcajz