Evolution Recreations

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    I've never been super inspired to make my own ships when it comes to creating original, "I've never seen anything like that before in my life!" content in Starmade. I'd much rather build something that I've seen somewhere and thought, "F**k, it would be cool to blow shit up in that...."

With this in mind, I don't really have just one universe that I build from; I like to build what I think would be cool to have or to see flying around. I am absolutely in LOVE with the Mass Effect universe and so most of my ships come from there; but like I said not all.

A little information before I get into it though: unless stated otherwise, all of my ships are built by hand. So no help from SMEdit. Also as for Download links, if there isn't one, and you would like to download one please let me know; either via PM or post here!

I have a bunch of ships that I've made since I started playing Starmade a little over a year ago, and decided that I'd need one place to share them instead of making a bunch of different threads. SO, lets get started!

EDIT:
    -Updated the SR-2 with a huge update, approx 80 hours worth of work.
    -Re-design of the UT-47 Kodiak's hull and some logic added!

Cerberus Normandy SR-2
    This is Cerberus' recreation of the Normandy SR-1 after it was destroyed at the start of​
    Mass Effect 2. The ship took me a little 180-200ish hours to complete and is the first ship that I've ever made with an actual interior to it. This was made completely by hand, but to be honest I did find out about SMEdit after I finished the outer hull (Was just blocks at the time) and I had full intentions of attempting to wedge the ship using the program. Alas there is no rest for the weary and I found out that SMEdit actually didn't run at all in our Starmade's current build.

The ship is to scale in the game however as most video games do because they can, there​
    are folds in space to fit everything perfectly inside the ship. The SR-2 is a long, sleek, slender sexy looking stealth ship, so making this practical in Starmade meant I did have to utilize my creative liscense and add a hallway between the Airlock and the CIC.

If i was to stick exactly to the floor plans of the ship and how things were laid out,​
    the ship would be a bit bloated vertically, and about 70-ish blocks shorter in the front making it very stubby looking and the opposite of attractive...

All in all, I had a blast creating this ship and detailing the interior of it. The best part was​
    using logic to "wire up" working shutters to open/close over the windows and to control the cargo bay door.

The Advent of Rails

In my most recent update of the ship, I added a functioning Thanix cannon system to the weapons bay, which has functioning bay doors, and the barrels move in/out just as they do in the game. Since I went more for the aesthetic appeal to the weapon and wanted to stay as close to cannon for looks as possible, it does not actually fire any beams :(.

With the addition of rails, I could also finally dock my own Kodiak inside the cargo hold (score!). The Kodiak also has it's own build in logic to allow for wireless control of the cargo bay door open/control mechanism.

For more Pictures:
    New:
    http://imgur.com/a/q28ZC#0
    Old:
    http://imgur.com/a/keKGP#0
    For the Download:
    http://starmadedock.net/content/cerberus-normandy-sr-2.610/

Kowloon Class Freighter
    Seen all throughout Mass Effect is the Kowloon Class Freighter; either as ships that you​
    need to find to stop bad guys, blown up wreckage, or floating derelict in space robbed of their crew due to slavers. The ship doesn't exactly have a sterling reputation but it is a pretty neat looking ship in my opinion, and one that I thought would be neat to introduce into Starmade to serve it's intended purpose.

This ship was one I acutally built while I was taking a break from building the SR-2​
    above this one. It is definitely NOT to scale. I've seen varying lengths to how long the ship should be... mine is either 2-3 times the actual size. It didn't make any sense to have it smaller than that because I not only wouldn't have been able to include the amount of detail that I put in to the hull, but I also would not have been able to mentally accept that it was this small when running through it on some missions. Another one of those "folds in space" again.

I did make the ship in two flavors; Alliance and Cerberus Colors. More pics here!
    http://imgur.com/a/rnPlD#0

Kodiak Shuttle
    The iconic Kodiak Shuttle from the Mass Effect Series seen in ME2 and 3. Was fun​
    creating a really small ship, esp this one. However, it doesn't hold anyone. I could make it larger, but as it is, it's currently to scale and fits really well in most of my larger ships. Lightning fast and great for landing on planets or zipping to shops and back.

With the advent of rails and the addition of ship HP, I felt a need to rework this little beast. I gave it a hull re-design for a sleeker look (also since tetras/pentas don't have weird shadows any longer.) And with wireless logic added, the Kodiak also gained some utility!

I only have it in a few variants of Cerberus colors as it is now, but it would be super easy​
    to switch to the Systems Alliance colors. I just haven't had a reason to do that yet.

A few additional pictures:
    http://imgur.com/a/Itog6#0

Quarian Envoy Frigate
    A Quarian ship of the Migrant Fleet in the Mass Effect universe. I have plans to​
    actually flesh out the interior a bit once the weapons update is released. Also, not sure if it was just a huge oversight on my end, but apparently orange is a hull color? Don't know if that was new to the dev build for said weapons update, but I need to go through and change some cargo containers to orange to add some more flavor.

I'm not going to write too much here as I actually have a thread for the ship already. If you're interested, you can find that here:
    http://starmadedock.net/threads/quarian-envoy-frigate.770/#post-9129
    More Pictures:
    http://imgur.com/a/JdmDk#0
    Download Link:
    http://starmadedock.net/content/quarian-envoy-frigate.512/

Cerberus Cruiser
    This is the Cerberus Cruiser from the Mass Effect Universe. This was actually the second​
    ship that I'd ever made in Starmade. It was a bit of an ambitious project for me being such a new builder. Since then, I've learned a lot of building techniques which would have been instrumental in making this ship better than how it turned out.

With this having been the second ship I'd made (aside from the cuboid and rectangular​
    ships that most of us make when we first start out) I got lazy with some of the angling and wedging of the ship. On top of that, there were a lot of places that had redundant blocks where they didn't need to be. And I'm sure towards the end of completing the hull, I started placing wedges on top of wedges so I didn't have to replace/delete the blocks underneath. For this project at the time in my building career, I bit off more than I could chew but pride kept me from spitting it out.

With what I know now about building, I fully intend to remake this as I originally​
    envisioned it would turn out both for the interior and exterior.

For some perspective, the ship is about 600m long.
    Pictures now:
    http://imgur.com/a/yPaY8#0
    And even more pictures that I have back from when I was building it. Next to it in some of the earlier photos is the first ship I'd ever made.
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/n1ljqbi1pt3lbed/AABlMC54SYvKjrCv17voPN2fa

Cerberus Dreadnought
    This was a ship that I truthfully can't even remember when I started it. It isn't from the​
    Mass Effect lore; just more of a Fan fiction type ship that was to be based in the universe.

I had intended for it to be my ace in the hole for engagements. Super-Massive AMCs​
    in the four main guns and a shit-ton of turrets alongs the sides and on the top/bottom of it. fully fit with a hangar bay and a planned interior. All of this was fantastic, except not much further after what I'd built from what you see now, I got terrible lag just from regular building with such a bad frame rate it forced me to Mothball the project all together (probably due to me being on a laptop).

I plan on coming back to it at some point in the future, but that probably wont happen​
    until I get an actual desktop instead of a laptop that I play on now. If I do get around to finishing it, the ship should sit somewhere in the 1,300+m mark.

More pictures:
    http://imgur.com/a/LO8s0#0

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    And now for some non-Mass Effect Stuff!!!

Ascendant
    This was the first ship that I'd ever made without a reference or ship from another​
    game to build in Starmade. Was a fun little ship and more of a proof-of-concept for me just to see how building a ship with some smooth edges/sides would turn out.

My inspirations at the time were from some of the covenant ships for the Halo Universe​
    and some of the Naboo Starships from Star Wars. They both have smooth curvy edges and taper off into some pointed sections which give a high-tech look and a sleek design.

I intended for it to be a ship which really gave a smooth sexy look when you flew it, and​
    the allusion of speed. Which fast it is.

More pictues:
    http://imgur.com/a/wRwd2#0

Hypoxia
    This was the second original *me* content ship for Starmade. I started this about​
    three months ago and worked on it for a few days and decided I couldn't do anymore on it because of how much the lighting bug with the pentas/tetras bothered me.

Originally, I had had the grand idea of making a vertical ship. There aren't too​
    many out there in Starmade so it was time to pioneer some new territory where few others had. I really wanted to make a ship that had all of my best building techniques incorporated into one ship.

When I envisioned it, the ship was actually supposed to turn out smaller than what it​
    ended up being and was going to have a sister ship called the Asphyxia which would be larger and of course, have bigger guns in tow. This was also the ship that I originally intended to have a a full interior incorporated into it. I still do plan on doing all these things but with how some of the weapons function in the dev build function, I may have to rethink some of the interior plans I originally had.

Anyways, the picture below is just the front. be sure to check out my link below to see​
    the engines; the ship was built around them and they are my pride and joy of creativity.
    http://imgur.com/a/AcpOL#0

Adder
    This was my first turret I made in Starmade with some inspiration drawn from some​
    concept art for EVE Online. The turret it's self ended up being WAY larger than I intended for it to be, but such is the price of detail.

My original plan was to set out to make a super detailed turret to use on ships. I had​
    seen a bunch before but they weren't really detailed, were excessively huge, or they were good looking but not in any way that I would have done. The result of my build was the monster you see below, which ended up so large I would only mount it on a station or a capital ship. It's 50m x 50m, which is larger than most ships that are out there.

At the time of the build, it was really a pioneer for me to see just how detailed I could​
    make something in the space given to me. I probably would have gotten more out of it if I'd given my self a size restriction, but it was a good experience either way. Currently, I'd like to go back and fix up some sections of it to apply some new techniques I've picked up since it's creation.

More pictures:
    http://imgur.com/a/AoJCn#0

Medical Exploration Vessel
    This was a ship that I built not too long ago with a lot of inspiration drawn from some​
    of the ships from DeadSpace. If you're not familiar with the title, it's a trilogy by EA, based as an Horror shooter type game. If you're interested, just Google "DeadSpace Ships". Most of what comes up is what you're after.

With this ship, I'd really been itching to build a DeadSpace inspired ship and out​
    popped this puppy. Ribbing was not something that I'd incorporated in my designs much before so it was fun to play with those on a small scale. This ship also served as a test bed for me to experiment with using non-decorative blocks, as decorations. This was also the first ship I'd made after the new "Space Backgrounds" came out, so I had to incorporate a nice large cockpit view as well. There are some things I wouldn't mind changing with it now, but all in all, it turned out well!

More pictures:
    http://imgur.com/a/vWIx9#0

Malice - EVE Online
    If you've ever played EVE Online, you've more than likely seen the Punisher from​
    the Amarr Empire. If you haven't played EVE Online, you've more than likely seen the Punisher from the Amarr Empire. This is the hull variant of it called the Malice, which was given out as the Alliance Tournament IX prize to the winners.

Given the colors of the ship and our distinct lack of golden armor, I decided it would​
    be easiest to bring this variant into Starmade. This ship's hull was originally brought into Starmade through SMEdit, and I obtained it from the forum post here:

http://starmadedock.net/threads/smedit-conversion-database.292/

refirendum was cool enough to make that post and if you're interested in picking up​
    ships from EVE or the selection of other ships they have brought in from SMEdit, swing by and check it out. What they did is really awesome.

More pictures:
    http://imgur.com/a/avcc8#0

Asuran Cruiser
    If you're familiar with Stargate Atlantis, this is the Ancient Replicator ship seen in a few​
    of the episodes. I thought it looked really really cool, and so I decided to build it. I was building my ass off on this ship when I stared it and you can somewhat see it in the photo below, but I was doing a lot of background lighting with red lights to achieve the color I wanted in certain areas of the ship which made it look SO cool (I really love to toot my own horn sometimes).

When the lighting update came out a while ago, it broke how the red lights reflected​
    off the hull of the ship and so it also broke my spirit for wanting to complete this. I still want to get it done, but just haven't had the time to sit down and start work on it.

More pictures:
    http://imgur.com/a/yO9zF#0

Caldari Dropship(s)
    This is the Caldari Dropship from DUST 514, EVE Online's ground based FPS for the​
    PS3. I wasn't a huge fan of DUST just because my personal opinion of the PS3 repulses me, but the art of the game and the vehicles within are truly awe inspiring. When I saw the dropship, I had to have it in Starmade, and so I did.

I had intended for the original version (red) to be my mainline shuttle off most of my​
    larger ships that could hold landing craft. But, the wide wingspan it had made things a bit difficult for fitting it into narrow hangar bays. So out of nececity breeds efficiency and so I developed the MKII variant (yellow).

The MKII model boasted a smaller troop/crew cabin and lacking weapons, but​
    more speed, a sleeker/tighter design, and better shields. All of these things were perfect for a shuttle off of a ship in my eyes, especially when it wasn't meant for direct combat to begin with.

More pictues:
    http://imgur.com/a/pygCw#0
    Download:
    http://starmadedock.net/content/caldari-dropship.615/

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    God I love these ships... And I stopped being a Mass Effect fan. I looooove that trick you did with the plex beacons on the Zero Element core in the Normandy though. How hard would it to be convert it to the Alliance refit though?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    God I love these ships... And I stopped being a Mass Effect fan. I looooove that trick you did with the plex beacons on the Zero Element core in the Normandy though. How hard would it to be convert it to the Alliance refit though?
    Um, to change the hull, not too terribly long at all. The interiors though might need some work on the CIC floor if you were looking for accuracy. The insides are the Cerberus variant.

Also, thanks for the Eezo core comments. I was pretty happy with how it turned out! :D

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    Um, to change the hull, not too terribly long at all. The interiors though might need some work on the CIC floor if you were looking for accuracy. The insides are the Cerberus variant.

Also, thanks for the Eezo core comments. I was pretty happy with how it turned out! :D
    I figured as much. You'd have to rebuild portions of the research lab into the security checkpoint, and conference room, strip out the armoury and conference room with the ftl comms unit, add the war room and the Quantum comms unit. Then you'd have to move the armoury to the cargo bay.

Jesus, how do I know so much about the Normandy in ME3? I didn't even like that game.

Reaction score
    You're missing the sole most important ship type out there.
    THE REAPERS!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    I figured as much. You'd have to rebuild portions of the research lab into the security checkpoint, and conference room, strip out the armoury and conference room with the ftl comms unit, add the war room and the Quantum comms unit. Then you'd have to move the armoury to the cargo bay.

Jesus, how do I know so much about the Normandy in ME3? I didn't even like that game.
    haha, yeah I know what you mean. I'd be happy to get around to the refit for you, however it wont be for a couple months at the earliest. I leave for basic training in the Army tomorrow so i wont be around to do anything with it.

You're missing the sole most important ship type out there.
    THE REAPERS!
    I'd love to get to making a reaper... In fact, I have some great ideas for if I actually do create one. But to be completely honest, I am not comfortable enough with slopes yet that I would want to try at it right now. And the reapers are very curvy. lol

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    haha, yeah I know what you mean. I'd be happy to get around to the refit for you, however it wont be for a couple months at the earliest. I leave for basic training in the Army tomorrow so i wont be around to do anything with it.
    Oh don't worry about it. I can do that myself.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Mind if I use the Caldari Dropships? I'll take the red one PLZ.

Reaction score
    Haha, i know what you mean with the curves and all, I still can't make a good ship with slopes XD

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    Mind if I use the Caldari Dropships? I'll take the red one PLZ.
    Sure thing! I added it under content just now, and a Download link under the "info" spoiler for the ship in my post. Should take a few hours for it to be approved, but after that she's all yours.