EVERYTHING WILL BE BROKEN

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Reaction score
    Implementation of a reactor system will do many things for our beloved game of Starmade.
    1: All current stations, NPC/Pirate/Trading/Player, will be broken.
    2: All ships in all categories will be broken.
    3: No more auxiliary.
    4: Every single server will have to be reset.
    5: Say goodbye to everything you have ever built with power stuff in them.
    6: Interesting concept, a step up from the first suggestion.
    7: What about everything else that the community has been begging for in the last year or so?
    8: New reactor design and better looking interiors (assuming that only the best designers stay in the game).
    9: No more wars, people will have nothing left so this will be the first time in Starmade history that there will be peace.
    10: Whole new ships will be built.
    11: Death of ships over 100k mass is likely.
    12: noobs will have a chance, or at least until they realize that it takes a while to learn something no one else knows how to use.
    13: victory for those who cannot or do not know how to build bigger than 20k mass.
    14: swarms, yes because there will be many much smaller ships expect a larger fleet to be deployed in battles which is actually interesting.
    15: Death of servers, now I know that this seems extreme but many hundreds/thousands of small ships = way more lag which = higher server load which = constant crashes.
    Disclaimer: Now before you anger fed forum feeders post your rage please consider the above arguments.

Last edited:

Calhoun

Part-time God
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    The new power system won't kill big ships.

Also see that key just above the shift on the right side of the keyboard? That's called "Enter" and it's really handy for making your post not look like a garbled mess.

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Same thing happened with the new weapons system. Same thing happened with the shield recharger change. Nothing new here.

TheGT

Chief Janitorial, Second Legion, Fourth Squadron
    Reaction score
    It's an alpha game, if you don't like change for the sole reason of not liking change, it's really not for you to say.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Fam, alpha game. Changes this big are totally okay and normal. Embrace and love it.
    Big ships will be okay, fighting will be better, wars will still exist.

Reaction score
    Embrace and love the player die off XD I hope you have fun killing an already dying game. I don't want to see SM go but it seems like Dev's ignore what people actually care about. What happens when you hit your max reactor size? Turrets should have their own power btw. Wars won't exist for a while because no one will have ships. Everything will need to be rebuilt and we are getting forced into one particular shape for building. It's also for me to say, this is a Democratic society and if you don't like my opinion maybe don't be a Liberal about it LOL. Also you cannot compare the change to shields to the change for power. It's just a bad comparison because EVERYTHING will be broken instead of just shields. You can solve the power issue by changing the power regen cap so millions of power blocks are not required. Develop what you already have to make it better instead of making something completely new every 5 minutes. There are too many examples to draw on so I'll only list a few. In the real world the US, instead of developing the F-22 and F-16 further we made the now crappy F-35.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Welcome to video game alpha, where big changes to core systems happen, and things don't work the same way they used to.

Reaction score
    That's not the point dude. I want to know why adjusting the power regen cap is not a fix to the problem? What about every other thing in the game that does not relate to the power system that is stupidly broken?

Calhoun

Part-time God
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    In the real world the US, instead of developing the F-22 and F-16 further we made the now crappy F-35
    The F-16 is a dead end development. The F-22 will continue to be in service as an air superiority fighter. The F-35 is actually a sound strike fighter design, that's had an overly lengthy development time.

Also this is not a democracy. Schine are the developers, and 10 times out of 10 they'll choose their plan over the barely legible scribbles of a single player.

Reactions: GeekNinja
    Reaction score
    No, I was referring to the person who said I am not allowed to state my opinion. Please read the other posts on this thread. KillaKrazy

Reaction score
    You seem to be taking this whole thing rather personally. If schine's changes the game, and it's sucky, then move on to something that isn't. I'm excited to try out the new power systems. It's not going to kill the game.

This is primarily a building game...so having to build new ships isn't even an issue... Its the primary game mechanic.

Do you get attached to your creations? Do have a fleet of individual vessels, each one meticulously hand crafted? I doubt it, but even if you do, throw them in a museum! Or just do a refit! Star Trek The Motion Picture did it to the enterprise, and it was God-awful, so you should be able to do it too! Don't let TMP show you up, dude.

Reactions: faiyde

Aesthetics

Dark Lord of the Sith
    Reaction score
    Implementation of a reactor system will do many things for our beloved game of Starmade. 1: All current stations, NPC/Pirate/Trading/Player, will be broken. 2: All ships in all categories will be broken. 3: No more auxiliary. 4: Every single server will have to be reset. 5: Say goodbye to everything you have ever built with power stuff in them. 6: Interesting concept, a step up from the first suggestion. 7: What about everything else that the community has been begging for in the last year or so? 8: New reactor design and better looking interiors (assuming that only the best designers stay in the game). 9: No more wars, people will have nothing left so this will be the first time in Starmade history that there will be peace. 10: Whole new ships will be built. 11: Death of ships over 100k mass is likely. 12: noobs will have a chance, or at least until they realize that it takes a while to learn something no one else knows how to use. 13: victory for those who cannot or do not know how to build bigger than 20k mass. 14: swarms, yes because there will be many much smaller ships expect a larger fleet to be deployed in battles which is actually interesting. 15: Death of servers, now I know that this seems extreme but many hundreds/thousands of small ships = way more lag which = higher server load which = constant crashes.
    Disclaimer: Now before you anger fed forum feeders post your rage please consider the above arguments.
    Welcome back, Spocklin. I've been needing some entertainment of this calibre for quite some time. Though, I will give you some advice. The important thing about a retort (in this case, to Schine's proposal) is to not only make a point, but you require evidence, and an explanation as well! Who'd've thunk it? All you've done is wrote down a list of possibilities that exist anyway and threw it at us with no evidence and no explanation. Until you can conjure up a proper argument, I advise you lay off of Schine, unless you wish to make them, and us, laugh our fucking arses off.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    I also have to point to the dying performance levels that SM has seen in the last year alone. The drop off was huge. Also what happened to them fixing the BS NPC faction system after everyone determined it was broken? There are more than just builders out there my friend. Most people I meet on servers, including Vaygr even though they are what they are, are more focused on the other more appealing aspects of the game. This is not to say I don't want them to change things, I want them to change things in order to fit the community's needs and wants and SOME of the new developed stuff. I have seen too many updates come out with broken features that have never been fixed. I get to ride the bus to my college every day for classes and I got to hear someone say that they are tired of American-styled Mexican restaurant menus because they server too many rice and bean sides in her opinion. Most restaurants (Mexican-styled) serve these sides because it's what people statistically want. When something new and unpopular to the majority crowd shows up it does poorly.
    [doublepost=1496552591,1496552527][/doublepost]I advise you to mind your own business before telling me what to do dude.
    [doublepost=1496552639][/doublepost]Evidence: NPC factions were all the hype and now they're the plague of server restarts.

Aesthetics

Dark Lord of the Sith
    Reaction score
    spocklin please
    You 12 year old austistic screeching has reached autism levels that should not be possible.

I nearly died laughing at the formatting and you have prodided zero evidence to supoort you autistic screaming.

I get you are just starting to figure out how to build decent pvp ships to satisfy your "muh empire is victorious" epeen but if you do not want the collective starmade community to laugh at you every time you open your mouth. Cease your autistic 12 year old faggotry.

P.S nice job on your victory against hermitude on StarBits I bet hermitude must be crippled at the loss of those cobweb infested stations.

P.p.s leave the admin duties on StarBits to people who do not have a really short fuze, are easier to trigger then an SJW vegan femanazi, wont use the admin powers they are given to put themself at an ingame advantage and actually have a clue about running servers and moderating them <3
    I NEED A HERO!
    I'M HOLDING OUT FOR A HERO TILL THE END OF THE NIGHT!
    HE'S GOTTA BE STRONG, HE'S GOTTA BE FAST;
    AND HE'S GOTTA BE FRESH FROM THE FIGHT!
    I NEED A HERO!
    I'M HOLDING OUT FOR A HERO TILL THE MORNING LIGHT!
    HE'S GOTTA BE SURE, AND ITS GOTTA BE SOON;
    AND HE'S GOTTA BE LARGER THAN LIFE!
    LARGER THAN LIFE~!

In all seriousness, though, thank you - if Spocklin will not listen to me he might take heed from someone like you.

madman Captain

Self-appointet Overlord of the Scaffold
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I dont see a problem. I just see a lot of opportunitys.

You say there are broken things not related to the power system, but I just see problems directly related
    to the curret powersysten.

The only thing not directly related to the powersystem is the horrible lag of immersion/feedback in combat.

I only build large to superlarge ships and I dont see my buildstyle or the game "dying".

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    1: The game does not need, and Schine does not want an abundance of players currently. It is in alpha, and IIRC, Schine wants the game to be in a much more stable, and feature filled position before they start advertising and community building.

2: Max reactor size? No. Reactor gains with the new system have been stated to be linear, which means you can keep building the reactor as large as you require to maintain systems on your ship (keeping in mind that the largest you can build your ship is about 8km^3)

3: Just because the game does not cater to your desired does not mean it is going to fail. Schine does listen to their community, more than most other developers. Perhaps your suggestions and thoughts simply are not in line with the rest of the community, or Schine?
    Furthermore, this is NOT a democracy. Schine will and do take suggestions and input from the community, but they do it at their own discretion. There is no popular vote or community based focus to develop this game beyond game balancing and bugfixing.

On bugfixing - that's what the current community is supposed to be helping with. To my understanding that's why the community has been kept small, to assist with bug and exploit discovery and fixing.

If you want a game that doesn't change features against your will, go find one, because Starmade is in alpha, and it honestly does not need people bitching about change.

Yes, the reactor change will EVENTUALLY make all old ships broken (after the transitional phase, where both systems are in place) but what does that actually mean?

Lets do a recap, from my memory on 'game breaking' updates:
    - Power regen cap implementation, 1,000,000 e/sec limit, thanks to Calbiri breaking the 32bit int limit
    - Power capacitors fixed (used to need a 3d checkerboard pattern, update made solid groups) Every ship lost practically all their power capacity
    - Weapon system - every ship was rendered useless when the combination systems was implemented
    - Rail system, when first implemented it had horrendous entity lag from turrets, and turrets did not work correctly
    - Separation of shields and regen - made EVERY old ship have 0 shield regen
    - AUX reactors - allowing much higher levels of weapon support, if your ship didn't have this, it was ineffective against other that did.

In short, the new reactor system is a small stepping stone in the development of Starmade. If you can't handle that, simply leave and come back in 2 or 3 years.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Flaming I
    Implementation of a reactor system will do many things for our beloved game of Starmade. 1: All current stations, NPC/Pirate/Trading/Player, will be broken.
    2: All ships in all categories will be broken.
    3: No more auxiliary.
    4: Every single server will have to be reset.
    5: Say goodbye to everything you have ever built with power stuff in them.
    6: Interesting concept, a step up from the first suggestion.
    7: What about everything else that the community has been begging for in the last year or so?
    8: New reactor design and better looking interiors (assuming that only the best designers stay in the game).
    9: No more wars, people will have nothing left so this will be the first time in Starmade history that there will be peace.
    10: Whole new ships will be built.
    11: Death of ships over 100k mass is likely.
    12: noobs will have a chance, or at least until they realize that it takes a while to learn something no one else knows how to use.
    13: victory for those who cannot or do not know how to build bigger than 20k mass.
    14: swarms, yes because there will be many much smaller ships expect a larger fleet to be deployed in battles which is actually interesting.
    15: Death of servers, now I know that this seems extreme but many hundreds/thousands of small ships = way more lag which = higher server load which = constant crashes.
    First of all, I have reorganised your whole post so as to not give the reader cancer as they try to break up a massive wall of text.

1) State something more obvious please
    2) WELL GENIUS, IF THEY ARE REPLACING POWER SYSTEM, IT IS OBVIOUS ALL CURRENT SHIPS ARE GONNA BE BROKEN
    3) WELL you dont say, that's the point of the patch
    4) WELCOME to starmade, where servers reset every major patch that changes the game significantly. Eg: Planet changing from discs to its current form
    5) Empty shells exists, so not saying good bye to anything )))
    6) WOW, such intelligent input, I am actually surprised!!
    7) Game is in development, one thing at a time boi
    8) New reactor? Nah, it is simply stablisers needing to be kept away from power blocks. So no longer do you fill in the whole ship with power.
    9) AHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA... "NO MORE WARS".... AHAAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHA. When people are on a new server they have nothing, they they build something and start killing people in less than 3 days,
    10) WELL YOU DONT SAY GENIUS, with or without the patch new ships will be build as old ones get scrapped from whatever reason by their owners
    11) 100k mass ships are already common, kthksbai
    12) Nope, experienced players will still utterly trump noobs. Welcome to multiplayer PvP games.
    13) "Victory for those who cannot build larger than 20k mass" - YOU CANNOT EVEN MAKE A COHERENT ARGUMENT, SPECKLING THIS CONTRADICTS POINT 11 YOU MADE DIRECTLY
    14) Drone swarms already exist
    15) Servers have rules to ban people who cause lag, believe it or not. Unlike BitMinery, EarthParadine isnt here to ban anyone who threatens a particular player's bubble.

Reactions: Wolflaynce
    Reaction score
    What an eloquent and advanced conversation I, again, found here on this forum.

The_Owl

Alpha is not an excuse
    Reaction score

Your post reads pretty much like this if i'm honest.

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    ............................................________
    ....................................,.-'"...................``~.,
    .............................,.-"..................................."-.,
    .........................,/...............................................":,
    .....................,?......................................................,
    .................../...........................................................,}
    ................./......................................................,:`^`..}
    .............../...................................................,:"........./
    ..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
    ............./__.(....."~-,_..............................,:`........../
    .........../(_...."~,_........"~,_....................,:`........_/
    ..........{.._$;_......"=,_......."-,_.......,.-~-,},.~";/....}
    ...........((.....*~_......."=-._......";,,./`..../"............../
    ...,,,___.`~,......"~.,....................`.....}............../
    ............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-"
    ............/.`~,......`-...................................../
    .............`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....,__
    ,,_..........}.>-._...................................|..............`=~-,
    .....`=~-,__......`,.................................
    ...................`=~-,,.,...............................
    ................................`:,,...........................`..............__
    .....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
    ........................................_..........._,-%.......`

Nothing more to add.
    (though I wouldn't mind the death of obscenely oversized ships, 500K+ mass)

Status
    Not open for further replies.