Equipment and resource names

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    First off I have to say I am loving the game.

This should be a simple idea to help keep the resources easer to keep track of in someone's own head and it is based on the writing guidelines when naming characters and I learned this from the podcast Writing Excuses. (I highly recommend it if you are wanting to get into writing) But it is applicable here.

From Episode 6.22 at about the 11 min mark.

[Brandon] Howard, have you ever answered this one? How do you come up with a name? You've got a lot of wacky names.
    [Howard] Yeah. If they're... I'm taking more care than I used to. Often, I would just look around my desk for a thing, and mix up... Jumble the letters.
    [Dan] Then came the evil robot paperclipatron.
    [Howard] As I'm saying, I take a little more care than I used to. Jevee Ceeta was named after the fact that the first thing that I saw was my old JVC stereo. So that's what I named her. But now I will look at... Well, the first thing I do is the consonant check. They can't begin with the same letter, I want to avoid too many similar syllables.

Ok that last bit is the important part, all too often we have similar sounding resources such as Exogen, Octogen, Quantagen, Quantacide, Negacide, Vappecide, ect. It gets a little confusing which means I tend to double and triple check when ever getting resources, and then I still get things wrong.

So I can't just point out an issue without giving some suggestions on how to fix it. So here is some suggestions for naming resources.

Photofine (stolen from Doctor Who)
    Thaesium (also stolen from Doctor Who)
    Lithos (Greek for rock)
    Regolith (aka moon dust)
    Aurum (Latin for gold)
    Cupremiantica (Latin for Copper)
    Tetroxide (From the rocket fuel Di-Nitrogen Tetroxide)
    Unsymmetrical Dimethylhydrazine (Another type of rocket fuel, Just kidding on this one)

Oh and please keep Orangutanium just for the comical factor.

~ShinNoir