EOFException Error?

Reaction score
    Hey I need help, I had a quick look through the forum but couldn't find any topics about this so I started this one.

I just started a server with SMProHosting for Starmade but anyone who tries to join my server, including myself, gets this error and is disconnected.

DisconnectException: You have been disconnected from the Server

(either connection problem or server crash)

ActualException: EoFException

I raised a ticket with SMProHosting, but they reply so incredibly slowly, and most of the time they asnwer my tickets with another question instead of actually fixing the problem.

They use Multicraft for the client control panel, which I know how to use, but If found no resolutions yet.

Anyone have ANY idea what to do?

Reaction score
    I\'m sure my issue is server side as I can join other peoples servers with no issue.

Anyone have a clue what to do?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    After say, a crash or otherwise having to go offline for a few minutes.

I don\'t know of any way to fix it, but I have had the issue a bit recently as well. Perhaps it is related to the recent \"fix\" for people getting high ping momentarily when someone with a higher ping then them logs in. Either way, its bothersome.

There may also be client-side issues that can cause it too though, because I\'ve recently gotten a string of these errors, including on a server I never went to before.

Reaction score
    I started having this Problem today, It accoured following a client crash, have tried reinstalling, and trying to load up other server other servers, currently nothing I have tried is working

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Ive Ha The Problem Recently On Multiple Servers But Ive Only Had It On Like Really Highly Populated Server Maybe Its Because Of The Big Ships Or The Giant Objects But Its Supposed 2 B Fixed Over Time Or When The Server Resets So Yea Thats My Reply

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Same I find what happens is all the clients currently connected crash at the same time the the server gets stuck waiting for a pong from them.

But since there now disconnected it wont get it so they stay logged in as a ghost user which now cant be kicked either due to them no longer be able to accept packets.

I see this error when the players or me try to rejoin the server while our ghost is present

Funny thing is players can still connect after this event (albeit not the ones that were on when it happened since there still technically logged in)

It requires a server reset to fix this problem but the issues is what is causing the server to crash all the logged in clients?

What I Have noticed is you can tell if the players are ghosts because they will be listed as dead with 0 ping only indication that this has happened :(

Here is a pastbin of one of logs after such a crash http://pastebin.com/Vc744Wvq its only the last 2 mins of server operation but it shows what is logged during this mass client crash

Reaction score
    It\'s the ghost player thing I think, check:http://star-made.org/content/ghost-players-still-there

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I have this issue with a server I just rented as well from a different host entirely. But I\'ve never been able to successfully login or play on it yet, so suffering from a Ghosting issue would be weird. Restarting the server doesn\'t seem to make a difference and my buddy can\'t connect either. Yet we both can login to practically any other server we try. It\'s annoying.

Ramtex, did you ever get the issue sorted out?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I also rented a server from SMProHosting yesterday (July 31st) and set it up successfully, but myself and two others have since consistently failed to connect, getting the EOFException. This was from our first try, so there were no ghosts involved, and I also tried both restarting the server and deactivating authentication, but neither fixed the issue. We\'ve been able to play on a different multiplayer server without issue, but this is still disappointing.

If the creators wanted assistance in finding/creating a fix for this issue, I\'d be willing to help.

Reaction score
    I have a smp server and a few times this happens, twice now when the game is updated, the server isnt updated right away, pay attention to the versions in your server config and to the version your trying to connect with, as with smp takes a 2-3 days to update, you\'d think as a company making money they\'d go faster, but still slow to update, communicate, and thier site isn\'t fully funcational....all signs of a shotty company who dont care, and arn\'t intrested in players, who are in it for money.....but alas you cant get money

if you offer crappy service and people leave constantly, im currently in the market for a new host....

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    That appears to be the case with my server. It was functional by the afternoon of July 2nd which means it took a bit over 48 hours after my server was created for it to update to the current version. So then, for me this issue is fixed. But I doubt that was the only source of EOFExceptions among StarMade players; there is still trouble afoot.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    It looks like the RAM requirements for the server have gone up. Before these updates I had 512 MB allocated and it was running pretty rock solid for two players. I upped the allocation to 1024 MB and all seems to be working now. So possibly SMprohosting was short changing the RAM if you were on a core plan.