Engine Idea.

Zeveryn

The Devious Traitor
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Simply put it without all to much explaining.

Engines go into "combat" mode when entering combat, making it so you dont have the issue of moving between sectors and all the huzzle of being TPd around etc etc.

Being under fire would cause your thrust to decrease say 30%?

Wouldnt effect the smaller ships as much as capitals. but then again a capital isnt supposed to fly around like a fucking bee in a battle anyway.. so ya.

What do you think?

Reaction score
    With your changes ships that come under attack will have no way of escape. Currently if you are faster than your enemy you can escape but with your changes, you will be finished

Reaction score
    ^What he said. This is a nerf to thrusters for all ships, not just capitals. Capitals (and bigger ships in general) need less acceleration to prevent them zipping around.

Zeveryn

The Devious Traitor
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Basicly as it is now you cant fight for a dime.. chasing someone will usually just end up in them crossing sector that reorient them and they send them back to same position and they end up 300m away from their last position etc etc. Carry Escape pods. Its not a biggie really.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Maybe the thrusters decrease once you fire instead of being fired upon to allow ships to escape.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I would rather be able to choose hwo much throttle I want to apply in which direction and just fly that way indefinitely.

That would also allow me to keep a tab on how uch power my thrusters are using. I have tested my ships in single player by upping the speed limit beyond practical limits and my capitals can top out around 360-380KPH. Now most servers limit the top speed to around 100kph or so. My ships want to go faster and keep wasting energy. I don\'t need all of my thrust to keep 100kph so if I could lower the amount of thrust to keep me going without wasting energy, that would do just fine for me ^^

(It might also allow for a crude \'\'autopilot\'\' - Whenever I was flying very long distances, I would press W and leave something on my keyboard to keep pressing that key for me while I got and make some tea ^^)

Zeveryn

The Devious Traitor
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    yea i suppose that is a better way to do it :)

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Velocity could expire faster while in combat mode.

Thrust nerf would make small ships (dodging) even harder.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I do wish we could get some tweaks to the thrust system, raise the cap and adjust the values so it\'s harder to accelerate a large ship but they can reach higher speeds overall. Fighters would always have higher acceleration but be limited in top speed.

It\'s a little odd how every ship has the same max speed and if you pack enough thrusters onto giant ships they can accelerate like a bullet.

I also support the addition of analog thrust controls too.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    You can somehow limit max speed differently for different ship types.

Just increase the decay (server setting) and you need a lot of thrusters - the higher the speed, the more thrust you need to compensate for the decay (=percentage of current sped).

Cloak-jammed ships are very limited. 1 generator only makes 140 e alone, but needs 150 to pay for itself. You can either add weapons, thrust or shields, but not all these strengths altogether.

Reaction score
    there is an option in the server config that allows you to stop deccelerating which means that you could fly indefinately without holding your W key down