Empty system fixes

Reaction score
    Why do empty systems have ambient light, and the procedural skybox, and stations? it should be empty.

Reactions: Ithirahad

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    Because space doesn't suddenly stop existing around you even when you're in the middle of nowhere.

I can guarantee you that if you went *anywhere* in the universe, you would be able to see light from somewhere at some point in the sky.

Reaction score
    Because space doesn't suddenly stop existing around you even when you're in the middle of nowhere.

I can guarantee you that if you went *anywhere* in the universe, you would be able to see light from somewhere at some point in the sky.
    Oh yeah? do you even science? ;)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Oh yeah? do you even science? ;)
    Do you? There's this term called 'light pollution', when you can't observe dim stars and nebulaes due to ambient light of cities around. So how exactly much you can see, when there's not even a star nearby? ;)

Reaction score
    Do you? There's this term called 'light pollution', when you can't observe dim stars and nebulaes due to ambient light of cities around. So how exactly much you can see, when there's not even a star nearby? ;)
    When there isnt a star nearby it should be pitch black.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    When there isnt a star nearby it should be pitch black.
    Why? Is there some barrier, that would prevent light, which is virtually everywhere and coming from every direction, to reach you? It also depends on how far away that closest star is.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    light travels long distances to get to things. Just because you are out in the void doesn't mean there is no light. Although a totally illuminated object with no nearby light source is a bit odd to run into.

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Due to the immense distances light from stars travels, I highly doubt that there are any points in the universe where you cannot seen any stars, unless there is something obstructing them.

Reaction score
    Do you? Please explain why you SHOULDN'T be able to see other stars in a void system.
    I mean that ships should not be illuminated stations shouldnt spawn and the nebula procedural skybox should be invisible but the starfield should remain. if you want an example then turn off the skybox warp to a void system take a screenshot and edit out your ship in a image editor replacing it with a black figure in its shape.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    I mean that ships should not be illuminated stations shouldnt spawn and the nebula procedural skybox should be invisible but the starfield should remain. if you want an example then turn off the skybox warp to a void system take a screenshot and edit out your ship in a image editor replacing it with a black figure in its shape.
    Well... there's some void systems that are completely black in case you didn't notice. I agree that it'd make more sense for all void systems to be like that though.

Reaction score
    Well... there's some void systems that are completely black in case you didn't notice. I agree that it'd make more sense for all void systems to be like that though.
    though i do believe that there should be a few pirate stations hiding out there, After all wouldnt you want to cloak your illegal activities in a field of infinite black?

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    though i do believe that there should be a few pirate stations hiding out there, After all wouldnt you want to cloak your illegal activities in a field of infinite black?
    My thought exactly :P. You're right about there being an over-abundance of stations. As for the light, not quite. I mean sure, you don't get as much illumination as if there was a star near by, but that doesn't mean your ship should be pitch black either.

Reaction score
    My thought exactly :p. You're right about there being an over-abundance of stations. As for the light, not quite. I mean sure, you don't get as much illumination as if there was a star near by, but that doesn't mean your ship should be pitch black either.
    Real space despite all the stars is pitch black... now maybe a little ambient light would be allowed especially if you are near a galaxy but in transgalactic space you shouldnt be able to see the back of your hand without a flashlight or interior lighting (Which really should consume power)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Real space despite all the stars is pitch black... now maybe a little ambient light would be allowed especially if you are near a galaxy but in transgalactic space you shouldnt be able to see the back of your hand without a flashlight or interior lighting (Which really should consume power)
    'Real space' is actually dim to bright all over the place when you're inside a galaxy, because there's a distinct lack of things to cast shadows and there are stars all over the place.
    Of course, there also aren't a lot of things to reflect light back at you so you only see the stars/objects themselves, therefore a lot of your view might appear very dark.
    The dark side of a planet with an atmosphere like Earth can actually be darker than a random location in intragalactic space (Depending on the phase of the moon and stuff, of course).

Intergalactic space on the other hand should definitely be darker, but it still wouldn't be totally pitch black on the outside of a ship.

Reaction score
    The dark side of a planet with an atmosphere like Earth can actually be darker than a random location in intragalactic space (Depending on the phase of the moon and stuff, of course).
    Blocking a portion of the visible stars would certainly make a measurable difference, but if over half the distant stars aren't enough to brighten up your ship, twice that many surely won't make it that much lighter to the eye. The source of illumination in a star system is that system's star, illustrated by the very fact that it does get pitch black when you are in the shadow of some planet or moon (twin star systems etc. aside). Just look at some spacewalk footage (for example here around 6h20m
    https:// www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQcwNcyUf40&t=6h20m55s , especially when you can see the second astronaut in the top left, only illuminated by his own lights, with virtually "nothing" in between them, and compare to sunrise about ten minutes later)

Intergalactic space on the other hand should definitely be darker, but it still wouldn't be totally pitch black on the outside of a ship.
    See above. Not pitch black, but not far from it.
    It gets dark quick even in interstellar space outside the local system. That ship in the planet's shadow would be illuminated to nearly the same level (taking into account the portion of the sky blocked by the planet), which is almost complete darkness.

Caveat: I'm no astrophysicist.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    You can be a photographer and understand why objects in deep interstellar space will show up as nearly black. It's the Inverse Square law. Basically, light intensity falls off with the square of the distance. In other words, at twice the distance, the light intensity is only 25%. So if you can barely see a sheet of paper illuminated by a flashlight a mile away, that paper will receive only 25% of that already-small illumination at a distance of 2 miles.. And since interstellar distances are very far indeed, even in smaller, fictional StarMade universes, star-less systems will have astronomically low ambient lighting conditions. For simulation purposes, you can go ahead and just set the ambient light to zero. The ambient light would be too low at that distance from the nearest stars, that the human eye would have difficulty differentiating from zero. However, for fun, it might be best to have a certain minimum ambient light in StarMade, even in star-less void.

http://www.portraitlighting.net/inversesquare_law.htm

http://photofocus.com/2009/06/04/understanding-light-falloff-the-inverse-square-law/

Reaction score
    For simulation purposes, you can go ahead and just set the ambient light to zero. The ambient light would be too low at that distance from the nearest stars, that the human eye would have difficulty differentiating from zero.
    I'm no photographer either, but thanks for the complementary explanation.

However, for fun, it might be best to have a certain minimum ambient light in StarMade, even in star-less void.
    I was just about to edit my previous post with a remark about the general ambient levels in StarMade ; )

Exploring a planet I noticed the ambient light levels in underground caves, where you'd expect it to be absolutely dark, but it's actually more like a moonlit night.
    Especially now that we have a flashlight and are possibly getting some ship systems too, pronouncing the absence of light in space, inside ships, and on or below the ground would be the perfect opportunity to promote the new tools.

Last edited by a moderator: