Bug Elevator pushed through the top of a closed shaft with push beams

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen
    As the title says I attempted to create an elevator, and while trying to use my push beams to make it move up, it appears as if the elevator just glides through the top of the shaft despite it being covered... Is this something any one else has found when moving ship entities inside of confined spaces with push or pull beams? Here is the bug tracker http://bugs.star-made.org/issues/1524, and here is the gif of the thing in action http://imgur.com/t3VUCmm

EDIT:

Here is a gif of me inside the elevator being pushed out, if I turn gravity on I get pushed out with the elevator is appears. http://imgur.com/dWrGCk9

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    That shouldn't have made me laugh but somehow I did. I can just picture you going 'god dammit schema!'

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    That shouldn't have made me laugh but somehow I did. I can just picture you going 'god dammit schema!'
    That's surprisingly close to what I was thinking. I saw the starmade trailer video, and while I know bench just had some one manually move the elevator in that video, he did say some one else made an elevator (I can't find that guys video though...) using push computers and such, I figured I could make my own elevator like that, but nope. out the roof of the shaft you go elevator.

It was even funnier when I made push computers at the top of the elevator because I was tired of chasing after the elevator after testing the thing 100 times, so I made a few push computers and they ended up pushing the elevator faster down than it even went up, it went about 50 km (the max speed I have set) and I had to chase after it with another core, put power and thrusters on it and ride it back to the shaft because its max speed was 1.4 km.

Reaction score
    Physics are bugged at the moment, so don't expect these to work perfectly. Also if you play mutilplayer server owners are going to hate you fo using those. What you could do to prevent this is attach the push computer to a clock that turns of after a certain time. That will at least make sure that the elevator stops closer to it's destination. Was supprised as well that the elevator was featured in the new trailer, since it's not working right now.

I hope that rails are getting added where a core can ride on. That would work much smoother without the risk of physics bugs.

Reaction score
    • Arrrty
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    There has apparently been a change in the past few months in the way "touching" entities behave, possibly in collision handling?
    I had mentioned it here after trying out the previously referenced elevator. It looks to me like there is a minimum required distance between a ship and a structure when building. Docking can override this but results in the ship "clipping" through the structure even though it is visually only "scraping", and it continues to clip as long as it is in contact with any blocks of the structure.

I am doubtful whether the clipping is really a bug, and more inclined to consider the behavior of docking as a bug. I imagine that the combination of effects is likely to be addressed in the new docking (and rail) system that was mentioned in the news.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Are you on a sector boundary? That would explain this behavior.
    No, I used a warpdrive to get to the sector, it appears I am in the exact middle of all the entry points to other sectors I also just changed sectors, spawned the entity for the station in and tried again and got the same results.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1419111908,1419109698][/DOUBLEPOST]
    There has apparently been a change in the past few months in the way "touching" entities behave, possibly in collision handling?
    I had mentioned it here after trying out the previously referenced elevator. It looks to me like there is a minimum required distance between a ship and a structure when building. Docking can override this but results in the ship "clipping" through the structure even though it is visually only "scraping", and it continues to clip as long as it is in contact with any blocks of the structure.

I am doubtful whether the clipping is really a bug, and more inclined to consider the behavior of docking as a bug. I imagine that the combination of effects is likely to be addressed in the new docking (and rail) system that was mentioned in the news.
    I can confirm that when the object is that minimum distance away (one block) the elevator does stop at the top and doesn't collide. I modified the elevator and moved out all the sides by one then pushed the elevator and it collided with the top and didn't phase through.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    That's surprisingly close to what I was thinking. I saw the starmade trailer video, and while I know bench just had some one manually move the elevator in that video, he did say some one else made an elevator (I can't find that guys video though...) using push computers and such, I figured I could make my own elevator like that, but nope. out the roof of the shaft you go elevator.

It was even funnier when I made push computers at the top of the elevator because I was tired of chasing after the elevator after testing the thing 100 times, so I made a few push computers and they ended up pushing the elevator faster down than it even went up, it went about 50 km (the max speed I have set) and I had to chase after it with another core, put power and thrusters on it and ride it back to the shaft because its max speed was 1.4 km.
    I believe Crimson Artist made the working elevator you speak of. I also have but it isn't uploaded anywhere, I made it on a planet.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1419117293,1419117183][/DOUBLEPOST]
    the new docking (and rail) system that was mentioned in the news.
    Yea, they have four more days if they wanna finnish it before Christmas. ;)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    I believe Crimson Artist made the working elevator you speak of. I also have but it isn't uploaded anywhere, I made it on a planet.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1419117293,1419117183][/DOUBLEPOST]

Crimsons elevator does not work any more due to a recent update (or at least doesn't work consistently now) here it is http://starmadedock.net/content/logic-elevator.985/. They changed some collision mechanics, and you can't use plex doors to block ship entities with push computers now apparently, I tried it doesn't work if you do it quick enough, it phases through just like I showed you above.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Crimsons elevator does not work any more due to a recent update (or at least doesn't work consistently now) here it is http://starmadedock.net/content/logic-elevator.985/. They changed some collision mechanics, and you can't use plex doors to block ship entities with push computers now apparently, I tried it doesn't work if you do it quick enough, it phases through just like I showed you above.
    Ah, okay. Hope it gets fixed along with the other cool stuff upcoming. ;)

Reaction score
    • Arrrty
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    that minimum distance away (one block)
    That isn't what I meant. Try, for example, building a similar elevator car inside a shaft rather than docking it into place after building. It can't be done, because the game enforces a small gap between the car/ship and the structure/shaft--you can't maneuver them close enough to appear to be physically touching. When docking is used to force them to exactly touch, they are really clipping into each other already. Thus the car clips through the plex doors and area triggers rather than being stopped by the doors or activating the triggers.

Reaction score
    • Arrrty
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    That would be awesome, but read carefully:
    The redesign of the HUD/GUI is in works, and we hope to get the update out before christmas. Then work on a new docking system
    It is the new GUI he hopes to have done by Christmas, not the docking system.

not to be rude but, no, that was exactly what you meant
    This statement doesn't even begin to make sense.