Recognized Electrical/Tesla Coil Weapon Type

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    Drones are...
    Wait, drones as weapons? How would that work? I'm picturing like balls of light or some kind of polygon mesh that are dispensed and shoot lasers or something while utilizing independent AI. That what you have in mind?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Mines and Drones are two possible future primary weapon candidates (mines were previously planned, and drones are something akin to missiles I have considered.)
    I don't think that a drone "weapon" is needed. See here for what we've already been doing.
    Though could there possibly be secondary-only type weapons? Such as the richoet we have here, maybe some sort of phasing shot? (projectile spawns ahead of the ship)

Reaction score
    This is an interesting link that was posted about this. I followed it here and I can see some merit in the idea, but like Calibri said it needs to have its own flavor. It is an energy weapon like beams, which is fine but I think the dynamic of it is wrong for how the OP was thinking about it. What this would be best as is a mid range shotgun weapon and do away with the other shotgun variants that everyone for the most isn't fond of.

Base Weapon (This thing isn't a tesla weapon, its a Dispersed Plasma Cannon that is negatively charged. Essentially a lightning cannon)
    Shotgun Mid-low Range - .5 sector, 3 sec reload, normal power consumption by DPS. Slight seeking to nearby objects. Travel speed should be like missiles 1.98x
    +Cannon - Faster firing Buff 1/3, lower DPS nerf 1/3, Power consumption 1/4, Range 1/2, Less jumps
    +Missile - Normal Fire rate, Arc of discharge wider, better self correcting dynamic towards nearby objects
    +Beam - Narrow cone of fire, self corrects to the center path of the shot, not objects. 2x range, 2x damage, 3x power, 2x cooldown
    +pulse - Normal cone of fire. Denser field of lightning arcs. higher damage, normal range. Extreme energy cost. High cooldown

This would fall in line with the current systems flow of weapons. You get a solid area denial weapon like a shotgun, but self correction makes it slightly better at the middle of its range, instead of nearly useless except as a point blank weapon like Cannon Shotgun is. The slow flight time makes it more visible, and it slows it down enough for the engine to perform its calculations. An alternative to the shotgun effect is a ball lightning weapon.

Ball Lightning - Slight seeking, very slow moving (like 1.5x speed missiles), high core damage, low tendril damage
    Base - .6 range, 5 sec CD, Normal DPS for core, 1/6th DPS tendrils, slight seeking towards objects, tendrils 5 m
    +cannon - 1/2 range, 1/5 Buff Reload, Damage, Power, 1/2 tendril range, (Essentially 1 sec spammable)
    +missile - normal range, reload, dps, power. Better seeking, tendrils arc 2x
    +beam - 2x range, reload, DPS, 3x power. Faster projectile, tendrils normal arc.
    +pulse - normal range, 3x DPS, Reload, 4x power, slower projectile, tendrils normal arc.

A very nasty orb of doom you fire. Ironically barely missing would likely do more damage than a direct hit. Keep in mind I think the current weapon balance is horrendously broken, but it might stay this way unless I can prove it with numbers how off it is.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Missile : Coil - Cannon ranges. Lock-on. On impact, missile throws out up to 4 heatseakers in the opposite direction, depending on Coil secondary percentage. Heakseekers will end up turning around if there aren't any enemy ships in the direction they flew off towards, and either hit a turret or the main ship itself on missile rebound. 30s reload.

Starmade Gallahorn! I like it!

Reactions: Lecic

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    This is an interesting link that was posted about this. I followed it here and I can see some merit in the idea, but like Calibri said it needs to have its own flavor. It is an energy weapon like beams, which is fine but I think the dynamic of it is wrong for how the OP was thinking about it. What this would be best as is a mid range shotgun weapon and do away with the other shotgun variants that everyone for the most isn't fond of.

Base Weapon (This thing isn't a tesla weapon, its a Dispersed Plasma Cannon that is negatively charged. Essentially a lightning cannon)
    Shotgun Mid-low Range - .5 sector, 3 sec reload, normal power consumption by DPS. Slight seeking to nearby objects. Travel speed should be like missiles 1.98x
    +Cannon - Faster firing Buff 1/3, lower DPS nerf 1/3, Power consumption 1/4, Range 1/2, Less jumps
    +Missile - Normal Fire rate, Arc of discharge wider, better self correcting dynamic towards nearby objects
    +Beam - Narrow cone of fire, self corrects to the center path of the shot, not objects. 2x range, 2x damage, 3x power, 2x cooldown
    +pulse - Normal cone of fire. Denser field of lightning arcs. higher damage, normal range. Extreme energy cost. High cooldown

This would fall in line with the current systems flow of weapons. You get a solid area denial weapon like a shotgun, but self correction makes it slightly better at the middle of its range, instead of nearly useless except as a point blank weapon like Cannon Shotgun is. The slow flight time makes it more visible, and it slows it down enough for the engine to perform its calculations. An alternative to the shotgun effect is a ball lightning weapon.

Ball Lightning - Slight seeking, very slow moving (like 1.5x speed missiles), high core damage, low tendril damage
    Base - .6 range, 5 sec CD, Normal DPS for core, 1/6th DPS tendrils, slight seeking towards objects, tendrils 5 m
    +cannon - 1/2 range, 1/5 Buff Reload, Damage, Power, 1/2 tendril range, (Essentially 1 sec spammable)
    +missile - normal range, reload, dps, power. Better seeking, tendrils arc 2x
    +beam - 2x range, reload, DPS, 3x power. Faster projectile, tendrils normal arc.
    +pulse - normal range, 3x DPS, Reload, 4x power, slower projectile, tendrils normal arc.

A very nasty orb of doom you fire. Ironically barely missing would likely do more damage than a direct hit. Keep in mind I think the current weapon balance is horrendously broken, but it might stay this way unless I can prove it with numbers how off it is.
    I don't really agree with these changes you have, but I appreciate the time and effort you put here. Anyone else have opinions on these changes?