Elaborated ideas on how to improve the Stealth/Jammer/Radar system

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Of course, my last sentence was merely referring to your statement
    \"Perhaps i have strange habits as a pilot but i\'d never detect another ship without a radar marker if it doesn\'t fly directly in front of me.

How about we add a delay to actual cloaking? Aka, it takes a ship X seconds to get fully cloaked. This way, it\'s not a trivial get-out-of-the-jail-for-frer-card, since you have to activate the cloak, then avoid getting hit until you\'re fully cloaked (as taking damage would set the cloak to cooldown).

Reaction score
    ...that shows if the targetd ship is starting it\'s cloak device this sounds fair.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    How about a simple \"blue-white glow\" overlay that intensifies until the ship is gone or something?
    I mean, there are plenty examples of such stuff.

One could even raise the ships signature during the cloaking process (aka, charge-up) to make it easier to spot and interrupt it right there.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    really all thats needed is the power drain of the cloakers and jammers to be reduced.
    that on its own would solve the issue.

we dont need some super elaborate and complex system, just reduce the power cost and bam more effective stealth.

super large ships still wont be able to cloak as they have too many blocks for weapons and shields.
    stealth should only be an option for up to medium-large ships.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    There lies the issue. With the current system, ONLY large ships can cloak (if they reduce on \'unnecessary\' asthetic elements like hull). If you reduce the energy cost, large ships will be able to use cloak, jammer and anything else they like. Keep in mind that most capital ships have enormous amount of cores for shield regen in first place. But before a fight starts, aka when the shield is full, they do not have any issue with spending that energy on cloaking instead.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Well, of course I hope so too.

More importantly, however, I\'ve limited myself to a concept that minimizes the workload for the devs. It doesn\'t need fancy new interfaces or menus or keys or anything. Just a few lines of math and some slight changes to an already implemented system :3

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    I myself am a Dreadnought pilot and would have to say that if the power cost of Cloaking Module or Radar jammer for that matter were reduced, it would be really REALLY over powered for me. I\'m pushing somthing close to 2.5mil regen for energy with my core, so I couldn\'t imagine the look on someone\'s face when they see my 900 block long ship which didn\'t show up on Nav or visually just appear out of nowhere and they\'re dead.

With Alblaka\'s idea of simply reducing signature radius instead of eliminating it though, it would be neat to see someone who thought they stumbled upon a frigate sized vessel and approach out of curiosity.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    With Alblaka\'s idea of simply reducing signature radius instead of eliminating it though, it would be neat to see someone who thought they stumbled upon a frigate sized vessel and approach out of curiosity.

I suppose you refer to a large ship running some jammers to fake being a smaller ship? (As smaller ships will show up on different distances, effectively giving a player a hint about the signature=size of a ship)

I didn\'t even think of that application yet, but it\'s a good point.

ImperialDonut

Overlord of the North Pole
    Reaction score
    I think I might\'ve been one of the first hundred folks to play IC1. (Heyo!!! ^^)

Well, about your proposal:

Since jammers are theoretically useless on cloaky ships in your system (due to cloak already masking your signature), they are not relevant to the cloaking mechanic and as such I will consider them a seperate proposal for the sake of arguement.

You say that only large/huge ships can cloak atm, but that\'s kind of the opposite from the truth.

It\'s technically impossible for a ship above 750-ish (an average ship is 2k and up) mass to permanently cloak/jam due to the 1mil regen bonus limit after which blocks start generating the standard 25 power per block (versus the 150 usage/block for both modules) . At the same time I can permanently cloak/jam a ship as small as 21 blocks if built right, and anything in the 50-400 mass range can be cloak/jammed and still have a bunch of power to spare for a bit of aesthetics and weaponry.

Your own system still uses 50/block for jammers (just like the current jammer module) to essentially reach the exact same result of fully hiding your signature from others, so no real gameplay change there save for a few extra blocks on your ship. I do like the idea of signatures and radar jamming/boosting, but it wont really change anything but confuse new players with variable detection ranges as proposed.

Combat and movement increasing your signature by a percentage is nice, but I dont really see many players using a few jammers in stead of 25 or none unless intersection of the recognition boundary between you and the target ship is made blindingly easy to spot.

Hence I don\'t really see how the jamming proposal adds anything but unneccesary complexity in its current form (not to say I dont like the signature idea, it just needs a different execution).

Now for cloaking, you essentially want the cloaking system to use 1/block/second with no regeneration and a recloak delay of blocks*0.5seconds (20 blocks and 10 seconds per cloaker). Currently cloak uses 100/block/second with regen, allowing for infinite cloak on well designed ships, so you basically suggest using a ships reserves instead of active regen to cloak it, taking away the possibility for perma-cloak/jam.

So what this all boils down to is: do you want permanent and instant cloaking to be a thing in Starmade, or would you prefer to severely nerf it by only allowing it to work for a short time and adding a recloak delay?

Basically, do you think cloaking is currently overpowered or not?

I personally don\'t think so, cloaky ships are fragile as is, coating a perma cloaking ship in armor is very hard and even one block shot out can cause a massive drop in power generation, rendering your cloak dysfunctional. Frankly, the only thing these ships have going for them is the element of surprise and stealth, firepower,shielding and armor are things you wont often find on a cloaky ship.

That said, a recloak timer of a few seconds could be usefull to prevent extreme ninja-ing with missile volleys on very poorly shielded ships, even tho it is near impossible to take down shields with missiles (without exploiting glitches).

I am sorry if this comes over as a giant bashing of your proposal (not my intention in the slightest), but I\'m just trying to deconstruct it all and really put the two systems side-by-side to see the advantages. To be honest you\'re one of the few players I actually consider worthy of going this in-depth into a good proposal for, due to my experience with what you are capable of when let loose on awesome in-depth mechanics. ^^

Let me know if I completely missed the ball on what you are proposing, or what you think about cloaking as it is.

P.S: Dont hesitate to PM or message me about anything you need or want to know.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    You say that only large/huge ships can cloak atm, but that\'s kind of the opposite from the truth.

It\'s technically impossible for a ship above 750-ish (an average ship is 2k and up) mass to permanently cloak/jam due to the 1mil regen bonus limit after which blocks start generating the standard 25 power per block (versus the 150 usage/block for both modules) . At the same time I can permanently cloak/jam a ship as small as 21 blocks if built right, and anything in the 50-400 mass range can be cloak/jammed and still have a bunch of power to spare for a bit of aesthetics and weaponry.

I think we have different understandings of what \"large\" ships are. For me, the \'Battlestar Galactica\' blueprint ship is already medium-large, whilst the Deadalus is definitely large-huge. By your use of words I assume both of them are \'small\' to you. (I don\'t know their exact mass values, but at least the BG can\'t be larger then 300 mass).
    As of current, StarMade\'s broken economy permits construction of ships that are just beyond anything reasonable. Yes, you can build that 8-sector long super galaxy destroyer, but there\'s no real gameplay relevantt reason to do so. All talk about any kind of balance is entirely pointless if you can theoretically build a ship that simply fills out any sort of space or can crash a server by colliding with anything.
    In this thread, I try to propose a concept that will enhance ship-to-ship interaction/combat on a reasonable level, that sort of level where people actually use extremely small fighters, small frigates and non-oversized capital ships.
    Accordingly, all values and equations I use and propose are tweaked towards that end. Trivially, if you would rather want everyone to have giant ships, you have to alter the way my concept is designed, but that\'s, in the end, all up to the devs to decide.
    (I hope, in all honesty, however, that they stick to reasonable ship sizes. There\'s no reason to promote building oversized stuff, even less so with a limited engine based on Java.)

To that end
    \"You say that only large/huge ships can cloak atm, but that\'s kind of the opposite from the truth.\" \"and anything in the 50-400 mass range can be cloak/jammed and still have a bunch of power to spare for a bit of aesthetics and weaponry.\"
    is a contradiction in my mindest, as a 400 mass ship IS large to me.

Your own system still uses 50/block for jammers (just like the current jammer module) to essentially reach the exact same result of fully hiding your signature from others, so no real gameplay change there save for a few extra blocks on your ship. I do like the idea of signatures and radar jamming/boosting, but it wont really change anything but confuse new players with variable detection ranges as proposed.

The point of my concept is that ships have base signatures related to their size, opposed to the 2,5k-3k even cores got right now. If you got a small ship, you can mount a few jammers to be hard to detect. If you got medium ships, you got to mount a lot of jammers to stay somewhat covered. If you got a large ship, you need jammers or anything will spot you across 4 sectors distance. Assuming you neither move nor fire.

Of course my concept is more complex then the current version. There is rarely a chance to make a game better by reducing the stuff inside of it / it\'s complexity. As well, my system isn\'t really that tricky to understand and should be intuitive to new players (large ship = easy to spot, jammers = reduce range at which you are sporred).

unless intersection of the recognition boundary between you and the target ship is made blindingly easy to spot.

I\'m sorry, could you please rephrase that sentence? I can\'t seem to understand it\'s meaning.

So what this all boils down to is: do you want permanent and instant cloaking to be a thing in Starmade, or would you prefer to severely nerf it by only allowing it to work for a short time and adding a recloak delay?

Basically, do you think cloaking is currently overpowered or not?

My issues is that, right now, only large ships can cloak, giving them even more of an edge they don\'T need and making anything non-oversized entirely redundant. Why should you, ever, build anything but an oversized capital ship? Capital ships can field turrets, better weapons, better shields, can cloak/jam more reliably, can contain hangards, can be made more asthetically, reach the same speed as smaller craft. There is literally no reason to resort to smaller craft (even less so with current infinite-ressources-economy).
    With my changes, yes, \'cloaking\' is technically nerfed. But in fact it is buffed towards smaller ships (who couldn\'t previously field reliable cloak without either giving up other systems or \'looks) and seriously nerfed towards larger ships. With my suggested changes a small fighter can actually use cloak the way a small craft in any semi-realistic space game would utilize stealth.

That said, a recloak timer of a few seconds could be usefull to prevent extreme ninja-ing with missile volleys on very poorly shielded ships, even tho it is near impossible to take down shields with missiles (without exploiting glitches).

Yes and whilst his is for sure (in my eyes) a game flaw, it\'s not related to the current discussion in this thread. Of course, even with my concept stealth fighters couldn\'T do anything to larger ships. But I\'ve made this concept under the assumption that, at some point, either the devs will regulate gigantism or server owners will (either by mods or rules).

Let me know if I completely missed the ball on what you are proposing, or what you think about cloaking as it is.

I think we both have two different positions and exspecially different viewpoints when it comes to ship sizes :P. As well, we may have different intentions and wishes as to where Starmade should go.
    Overall, I think your response was a valuable piece of feedback, even when I personally disagree with most of your oppinions.

ImperialDonut

Overlord of the North Pole
    Reaction score
    Hehe yeah ok, the gigantism discussion has been raging for forever right now. But on the topic of ship sizes, once you\'ve been playing for a while most get the natural urge to build a bit bigger (disregarding the broken combat system and economy right now), once the economy gets more in-depth and balanced out it becomes harder to afford huge ships, but even a moderately sized ship easily weighs in at 5000 mass (by moderate I mean it having a reasonable amount of interior,firepower,shielding, hull etc).

Now this mainly comes down to what you seeStarmade becoming in the future, so lets look at the economy:

Currently it\'s way too easy to blow up an AI and receive millions/billions of credits in loot and salvage from it, just as it\'s too easy to strip-mine a station to sell its valuable components. So say we reduce the drop rates and protect stations? Players will be left with either grinding pirates for loot, mining planets or asteroids for valuable ores or directly producing materials from basic resources, this will add a timeconsuming mechanic to the game, but not completely render current ship sizes completely unattainable. Especially considering that the entire economy would really all just be about a bunch of easily adjusted variables, upping the variables means upping average ship sizes and vice versa...

I built a medium sized ship (for my standards), the Roma:

Took me a couple days to build with unlimited materials, commands will always be available in SP so designing will never be a problem technically, gathering enough credits to buy it however, might be. This thing costs about 45 million, would seem like a lot of money, but that\'s completely dependant on how the economy is balanced.

Some games use economies where you need millions to do anything, other require just a few units of currency for already quite powerfull gear/weaponry/materials.

To that end
    \"You say that only large/huge ships can cloak atm, but that\'s kind of the opposite from the truth.\" \"and anything in the 50-400 mass range can be cloak/jammed and still have a bunch of power to spare for a bit of aesthetics and weaponry.\"
    is a contradiction in my mindest, as a 400 mass ship IS large to me.

Honestly, 400 mass is nothing in sheer design terms right now, I would classify that as a small frigate, and so would the semi-official classification guide: http://star-made.org/content/nameless-guide-ship-classifications

Granted, these will go down a bit if a proper economy makes it in, but its still quite small...

Depending on the economy, even 600m long capital ships should be possible by working together in factions or groups to save up enough cash for a mobile homebase, it just depends on what timescale you want to play and how the economy works. I will admit that Starmade is a hard game to balance due to its fully customizable content, some folks like small compact ships, others like building huge carriers. I can personally only argue that looking from a technical point of view I\'d want to keep all ships under a certain size to allow for some basic level of performance on lesser systems.

I have to say that most players tend to build at the very least one ship that exceeds 1000 mass, while most folks that stay around a little longer will build much bigger.

Anyway, I\'m all for more complex features, just not for unneccesarily complex features, what I meant by:

Combat and movement increasing your signature by a percentage is nice, but I dont really see many players using a few jammers in stead of 25 or none unless intersection of the recognition boundary between you and the target ship is made blindingly easy to spot.

Is that most players wont use a complex system like this if they know for a fact that 25 jammers makes them invisible, if they cant power more than 20 or so of them they probably wont even bother due to there being no reliable way of telling what the other player\'s radar strength is and therefore dont know at what range he will detect you. This will likely make most players either use 20-25 of them or none at all and focus on other systems since it wont net you an advantage in cobmat anyway (combat almost exclusively takes place at close range atm).

Sidenot: combat is very basic and even broken as far as I\'m concerned, I wrote an extensive proposal on it:

http://star-made.org/content/advanced-combat-proposal-tid

Also, you say:

My issues is that, right now, only large ships can cloak, giving them even more of an edge they don\'T need and making anything non-oversized entirely redundant.

I mentioned earlier:

At the same time I can permanently cloak/jam a ship as small as 21 blocks if built right

I have a 200 block fighter lying around somewhere, permaruns cloak/jam and thrust and has a nice bit of firepower aswell as a tiny bit of shielding.

I personally think you might be underestimating the size on which the average player would like to build and play, and I also think that cloakable frigates (at most cruisers) should be a possibility, but there should be some sort of downside...

I\'m not saying that the current system is good by any stretch of the imagination, but I just think this would create as many problems as it would solve.

You have set me thinking on a possible better cloak/jam system tho ^^

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Thank you so much for posting this, this needs more attention. It is definitely a great proposal, and I mainly came here for the cloaking, but your whole take on it would change the way combat takes place in the whole game. I thought of a new type of fighter/mid-sized fighter perfect for this. The small fighter is cloaking and filled with rockets, and instead of a bunch of energy generators, it has a bunch of energy storage devices. The mid-sized fighter has a energy beam, and refuels the small fighter. The small fighter has 1-2 energy generators, but not the normal large amount. The small fighter is filled with sd-bb rockets, and cloaks and flies close to its target, fires rockets, and recloaks. This would actually work without your planned improvements, but the system you proposed would work much better with this system. Thank you for posting this.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Thank you so much for posting this, this needs more attention. It is definitely a great proposal, and I mainly came here for the cloaking, but your whole take on it would change the way combat takes place in the whole game. I thought of a new type of fighter/mid-sized fighter perfect for this. The small fighter is cloaking and filled with rockets, and instead of a bunch of energy generators, it has a bunch of energy storage devices. The mid-sized fighter has a energy beam, and refuels the small fighter. The small fighter has 1-2 energy generators, but not the normal large amount. The small fighter is filled with sd-bb rockets, and cloaks and flies close to its target, fires rockets, and recloaks. This would actually work without your planned improvements, but the system you proposed would work much better with this system. Thank you for posting this.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I do have an addition I would like to add though. Directed radar.

I propose an additional radar block, that only works in one direction relative to the ship, depending on which direction the block is placed when built. The directed radar is not effected as much by being mounted on a large ship but has some weaknesses.

1. Each radar block has to have an unobstructed line to the ship bounds. You can\'t place anything in front of the radar block and expect it to still work. This includes other directed radar blocks. (Square 1 think planes work, cubes don\'t) And any obstructed directed radar block on an array disables the entire array.
    2. 10% of the damage to a shielded directed radar system will ignore the shielding. A small fighter ship can still blind even a large shielded vessel. Tha massive amounts of radiation being emmitted messes with the shielding integrity at the blocks.
    3. Your own radar signature is doubled in the direction your radar is pointing. As if yer weapons are constantly firing. If yer throwing radiation out, you can be sure everyone and their mother can detect it.

Reaction score
    I think your radar system should be tweaked so you can still cloak large ships, but if you get close, you can see them. Or the cloak makes your capital ship translucent, making it harder to spot/ target it\'s weak spots

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Alblaka!?!
    IndustrialCraft, those were the days :)

On topic, I like it. Too bad I don\'t have time to write a massive response...

Reaction score
    On second thoughts , you did bring valuable fresh ideas to the stealth discussion , but as with everything in starmade you have to think about loopholes to circumvent role restrictions.

Your system of jammers vs sensors with interference from high mass makes sense , however you have to consider sub-ships in that case. Capital ships could afford to keep a frigate-sized shielded radar dish within their hollow interior , safe from everything but completely overkill missile barrages. With active gravity , they can be reliably accessed right after you leave your ship core , allowing in-flight scanning of your surroundings with a little bit of hassle.

In order to make it foolproof , sensor performance should degrade from proximity with any heavy ships. Flying 500m away from your capship in a radar craft would present a considerable risk.

Something else that matters in cloaking balance at small scales is that power required to sustain cloak can sustain thrusters , guns and shields just as well when combat starts. Instead of a requirement to build N cloak modules per mass , it should come in a gradient , each added module increasing the cloak\'s power efficiency. Then you can give cloaking a rising cost over time , unsustainable even for powerline skeleton ships , but sustainable for ships with a significant fraction of their mass made of cloaking modules.

That fraction would have to be larger for larger ships obviously , giving stealth fighters a moderate agility penalty , but causing stealth capships to be dramatically sluggish and underpowered.

You\'d also see lean blitz-oriented stealth fighters with high power outputs but limited cloak , and heavier harassment / spy ships patiently waiting for opportunities to present themselves , following people around.

D

Deleted member 301635

Actually, it is very possible to build stealth fighters/bombers, it\'s just that they die when some bumps them too hard.