Effects.

Reaction score
    Is it normal that I get 60% efficiency by having one ion effect block + computer harden the shield created by 1000 shield blocks? Or is it a display bug?

Does the same happen with hull hardened with the punch through effect?

Reaction score
    I don't know what the ion effect depends on since shield blocks were split into two. Does it get lower if you add shield blocks of the other kind?

Reaction score
    Nope, it doesn't go lower either. It stays at 60% even if I add a bunch of recharges. I didn't add like a thousand tho. I had two ion blocks and placed down like 8 regarchers, still 60% efficiency.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I don't know if this is a bug, but I had a ship with 172 blocks, and I only needed one overdrive module tp get 100% efficiency.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Math fail :)

Should be based on effect-mass / ship-mass *5/6*(number different systems) for RP and *1 or *2 per default.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    It's not a bug.

The defensive effects now have a effect % cap on them that is adjustable in the behavior config.

So no matter how many ion blocks you add, it will only give you a max of 60% protection.

Reaction score
    No what I'm saying is that if I only have a SINGLE ion block I'll still reach the cap of 60% despite my ship having WAY more than 1 block of shield capacitators and shield rechargers. So I could have just one ion computer with one ion block and have a perfectly hardened shield as of now it seems.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    Ah I see. I noticed that the multiplier for over drive had been changed from 1 to 10. So basically you only need 1 over drive to get 100%

The same must have been done for ion.

Seems very overpowered, but I'm sure it's still a work in progress.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Ah I see. I noticed that the multiplier for over drive had been changed from 1 to 10. So basically you only need 1 over drive to get 100%

The same must have been done for ion.

Seems very overpowered, but I'm sure it's still a work in progress.
    It's not, the power requirements have been increased A LOT. While it previously took about 600k regen on a ship of mine it now takes more than 5 million power regen to sustain (which I don't have).

Reaction score
    I think Ion has a ratio of 1 ion block per 1000 shield blocks to reach 60% efficieny or something

EDIT! Per 1000 capacitators that is, or something like that. Perhaps it is dependend on ship mass though?

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    The block requirements may have been decreased, but the power needs are insanely higher. On a ship that previously required ~ 600k power to sustain ion effect I now need closer to 5.5 million energy regen to sustain it (and that's just the ion effect).

Reaction score
    Also, why would you want the ion effect on your gun if you can have overdrive? Both seem to double the damage, overdrive doubles it against anything, ion only against shield and you do no damage against blocks anymore (at 100% that is) and both raise the power consumption of the weapon.

EDIT: Or you might as well just build double the amount of AMCs. Since overdrive only makes it do double damage at double the power cost, building two times the AMCs does the same and saves you the 1 block for the computer.

Last edited:

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    AFAIK Cannon-Ion (100%) should count both cannon and ion blocks and actually do 4x damage at 2x modules and space
    Overdrive does 3x damage for 6x power consumption. Excluding effect block count, you may also count it as 6x damage for 12x power.

It depends on whether you count weapon or total blocks.

Overdrive thus seems to be good for ships which want to save space but have powerful guns. Especially for cloaking ships which need much power for their cloak.

Reaction score
    Well I look at the weapon stats and I get the following:

Two AMCs do 30 damage and use 300 power per shot. Connected to two ion blocks they do 60 damage and have a power consumption of 600, same goes for overdrive. Perhaps the weapon stats are wrong?

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Maybe.
    I thought using the correct "modul"ation would make your weapons not stronger per block but up to twice as power efficient...

That would break overdrive completely as it would then only give 3/2 damage for 6 times power

I think it would be interesting with 50 modules give 100 weapon blocks 100% effect and you can have more than 1 effect linked + you can cycle through models somehow.

Reaction score
    Well, overdrive only doubles the power consumption according to stats. 2 AMC blocks: 300 power consumption, now connect them to 2 Overdrive blocks and they have 600 with double the damage, just like I said so it has the same effect as just putting 4 AMC blocks on the ship, that's my main issue. I wonder if the stats displayed in the weapons tab are simply wrong.

EDIT: INDEED! The weapon stats ARE wrong. It says a 100% ionized weapon does 300 damage, but it actually does 600 against shields! So FOUR times its damage. I have 10 AMC blocks and 10 ion blocks connected, the AMC blocks damage is 150, 20 AMC blocks would do 300 though. Apparently the stats treat the effect blocks as if they were normal AMC blocks, but the effects actually work. So yeah, ion DOES make a weapon do FOUR times the damage against shields at 100%.

That makes me wonder if the stas for the ion defensive effect on shields either is wrong, too, or if you just only need very few ion blocks. (Which would make sense since you need A LOT of shield capacitators to get any worthwhile shields, so it would make sense to keep the space requirement for hardening them rather low.

Last edited: