Economy of TIME

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    Hello fellow Star-made citizens

I am one of the Admins on the Tectum Clementia RP server and my job in the past has mostly been to manage the block config file and economy.

So after spending the last week playing around with the new crafting system and economy as both a player and an admin I believe I have come up with ways to make it a little better. This isn't a suggestion, this is what I am actually working on.

What's good:

The ability to modify the factory recipes is well though out, and easy. It's absolutely beautiful.

There is a huge diversity in components and items to combine to make each item feel unique.

Factory chains finally feel like actual production lines.

What's bad:

I am very happy with the crafting system, but not the recipe structures. I'm wondering if these recipes are just place holders or if they are representations of the final system. All recipes essentially boil down to adding the same kind of capsule + a metal mesh or grill over and over again until you get the finished product. This doesn't make sense from a real life point of view, but also producing things rather boring and frustrating.

These recipes actually create large imbalances in the economy. I can harvest 10 asteroids, process them all and build 100 salvage cannons. OR I can harvest 10 asteroids, process them all, build 3 faction modules, sell them and then buy 10000 salvage cannons. There is literally no reason to craft anything except for the most expensive items.

Random Recipes are being phased out. I think this is a bad idea. Random Recipes (when managed correctly by admins) give players a little extra something to work towards and can be made hard to exploit.

With this in mind, if Schema or Calibri feel like answering I have a couple of questions:

Do these current recipes represent what the “Final” crafting system will be like?

Can you please consider leaving the current “Random Recipe,” Purchase Recipe”, and the “Recipe Buy with Item” systems in place?

What's going on with the “cubatom consistence” portion of the blocks? Only shapes have that area filled in. Is that used in some way to convert shapes back into square blocks?

Is the old “numPAD 5” cubatom system going away at some point?

This is the crafting system and economy I have been developing.

My goal is to make the system complex, logical, but less complicated. There are more steps, but they make real world sense. I've started by changing the very base of the crafting tree starting with circuits and metal meshes. There is also an emphasis on the difference between ore and shards.

For Ore:

Small amounts of ore are turned into “metal alloy” instead of “metal mesh” in the micro assembler (because metal mesh doesn't make sense to me)

“Metal Alloy” is combined with larger amounts of a specific ore plus lava to crease it's respective “Metal ingots”(because for some reason they are not used in the crafting system, but I think they should be)

“Metal Ingots” will be used to help create a final product.

For Crystals (shards):

Small shards are turned into their respective capsules in the refinery and small amounts of those create crystal circuits in the micro assembler(as it does now). Large amounts of those capsules are used to create their respective Crystal blocks(Hattel crystals and such).

Crystal Circuits are used to create stock crystal processors and crystal nodes. Capsules are then added to these items to create their respective “imbued” counter parts.

For Armor:

Stays the same. “Metal Alloy” plus asteroid rock capsules

Final Items:

Crafted using a combination of ingots, crystals and different circuit rather then arbitrarily adding increasing amounts of capsules along the production chain.

To sum it up Ores and Capsules create more specific items. Base items like capsules and ores are used more efficiently and there are no longer overlaps in the production chain.

Factory chains make more sense and the problem of factories at the top the the chain “stealing” resources from the bottom of the chain is gone.

On larger servers this may actually help create a diverse trade economy that helps distinguish between miners, low end manufacturers and people producing final products. For example: a player could focus on producing only Metal ingots that they then sell to someone producing weapon blocks.

Expensive and powerful items will be harder to make to avoid exploits.

Here is an example of a true production tree(imagine the “metal mesh” is “metal alloy” and don't worry about the #of blocks require per product)

Now my argument to keep the old Random Recipe system.

On the Tectum Clementia server we set all random recipes to be bought with either gold, silver or bronze, which were acquired by killing pirates and completing Admin spawned mission.

This did three things:

It gave players something relatively easy and fun to work towards.

It gave admins an easy way to reward players without giving them a manual hand out.

Most importantly it have people with different play styles a reason to interact and work together. Players with a combat focus would acquire the recipes and then trade them to the players who were more interested in build and manufacturing. It helped create alliance, enemies and gave players a real reason to be something.

Any competent admin can make it impossible for players to abuse Random recipes, so I feel that keeping them far outweighs any benefit to removing them.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I agree with everything TIME says, but would like to point some things out.
    TIME, you know that, using the block config, we can freely modify the default recipes? I have actually done so to add difficulty to the acquisition of certain items on the server currently. The game is in alpha, and I am certain that this is not even the final form of the crafting system; however that does not stop us from having a working system for our server. The block Editor works fairly well, and has an easy interface for working with the new recipe system.
    I would like to offer Schema and the other devs full access to all modified server files for Tectum Clementia. I know that what we look for in our server may not be what is desired by the general population, but we do occasionally get some things right, even if purely by accident.

The old recipe system should stay in place, to add shortcuts, or other ways of creating various blocks. I would love to see the inclusion of the old proteins and circuits somewhere in the crafting process (although the new crystal circuits are awesome!)
    Something else I would like to see is an admin command to specify what reagents are required when creating a recipe. We have a "research" system in place, so that players CAN gain recipes to simplify crafting, but I have to spawn many recipes before I find one that may be suitable.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    As for the crafting update:

...Your system doesn't make the components any less generic, boring, and easy to confuse with one another, but I do like the general idea. It certainly fixes a lot of issues.

As for random recipes:

Meh. Never liked them, never will. I don't mind them remaining usable, but shops selling them should be a config option that's off by default. Also, the leveling system on them needs a nerf, I think. It doesn't make much sense, all considering.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    As for the crafting update:

...Your system doesn't make the components any less generic, boring, and easy to confuse with one another, but I do like the general idea. It certainly fixes a lot of issues.

As for random recipes:

Meh. Never liked them, never will. I don't mind them remaining usable, but shops selling them should be a config option that's off by default. Also, the leveling system on them needs a nerf, I think. It doesn't make much sense, all considering.
    It could be possible to make the crafting system more dynamic and interesting, but in a game where you need 100,000 of one specific block that would be just plain annoying.

My system really just aims to fix the bottlenecks that happen in the intermediate stages of production.

You need so much metal mesh throughout the crafting process that you use up all your ore. It's easy to forget
    that by default you need specific ore as well as crystals to make certain circuits.

Often while crafting I would use all my ore to make metal meshes, only to find out I needed 6 capsules of an ore to make a circuit further down the chain.

Unless you plan out your factory chain way in advance and carefully sort your ore by hand, you'll end up running out of ore before you get your finished product.

But back to the random recipes.

I never liked them either, as a default crafting system. But they do have their perks.

I just feel like it's a way to give players a litter "buff" to their factory system as a reward.

I agree that leveling needs to go, and there ahould be a way to turn it off via the server config.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    make so you could level up the crafting blocks and make them produce more resources and make so they can only capable of making 5 times more resources. levelling up the block should require some blocks and exp from using the block

Reaction score
    Often while crafting I would use all my ore to make metal meshes, only to find out I needed 6 capsules of an ore to make a circuit further down the chain.

Unless you plan out your factory chain way in advance and carefully sort your ore by hand, you'll end up running out of ore before you get your finished product.
    Maybe it should be this way. It makes making omni-factories more difficult and encourages specialization and trade. It also means that factories aren't completely set and forget, they require knowledge of how the factory works to adjust the chains to not end up with too many of some resources.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    The economy - crafting balance is getting reworked (has anyone noticed the dynamic prices option in the server config yet ;) ).
    My opinions:
    • Faction modules aren't hard to craft, which is good for servers.
    • Build blocks should use a lot more resources.
    • Thrusters take too many resources.
    • Glass is way too expensive.
    • Salvage cannons are too easy to craft, they should use some specific resources.
    • Lights are really cheap, which is really, really good.
    • Crystal capsules emit light (I always keep them to light my mining expeditions), which is good.
    • Coloured hull takes too many resources.
    • There should be a hull reverter (back to a hull block).
    • Partial blocks should have less hp, and when they do, you should get more partial blocks per full block.
    • Different recipes that you have to select means you can craft certain items the same way (really good).
    • Decorative blocks are really easy to craft, that definitely should remain that way.
    • The salvage cannon with cannon slave should be less powerful.
    But the economy will still be unbalanced due to the salvaging of space stations, the new crafting system won't change that.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    the only station that you would be able to mine is abandon stations unless you are going to attack a different station

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Have you seen the stations? They are huge! And the devs have said that not all trading guild station will be in god mode.