Easy Start Setting

Reaction score
    My friend has a copy of StarMade from steam. I managed to get him to play but it was rough going with the basic 30 hull and ship parts. He probably wasn't ever going to play again. On the second try I showed him my heavy frigate and I took a new approach. I admin spawned him a ship. He's hooked now and absolutely sees the game's potential. It took having a good ship to get over the frustration of the game's strong learning curve.

I think StarMade needs a default ship you don't have to build with a blue print and an aggressive pop up help mode you can turn off. I know I didn't like reading all the tutorials. Also some warning about pirate stations couldn't hurt. I know I wanted to rage quick the first time I lost my ship exploring too close to one. A warning to blue print your ship reminder would help there too.

Reaction score
    A default ship, or better starting gear, I could get behind but I'm not sure that really solves the main issue. What I feel Starmade needs is a better "early" game altogether, ie giving the player stuff to do other than mine and craft and do a better job of easing players into the games intricacies.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    There's a file you can edit to change the starter inventory - this includes providing pre-filled blueprints to use and whatnot.

Reactions: Mariux
    Reaction score
    There's a file you can edit to change the starter inventory - this includes providing pre-filled blueprints to use and whatnot.
    Where is this and can you give an example of changes you've done.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Starmade folder, 'gameconfig.xml'

It's easy enough to edit, just provide the block ID's, count, and where it goes. Even has an example of a BP line in it.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score

The problem is that it's neither a default setting nor an "easy" option for new players wanting to try the game in singleplayer.