Easiest Answer for PvP: Flag of Peace

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Griefing is entirely a server-by-server basis, and those servers have RULES against it that will get you punished or banned for breaking them. This is an entirely pointless suggestion with plenty of exploit potential to top it off.

I get it- you think PvP is griefing. You use it as your excuse for every single garbage care bear suggestion you make, in all your arguments in everything from blowing up someone's base, to boarding a ship with torches. Stop it. No one agrees with you on this. It is obnoxious and borderline willing stupidity at this point.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I think that pirate/military/common flags are great for target priority and fleet-ai, but I wouldn't use "civilian" for "common".

Pirates should be the ones which have a bounty on them or a negative review by your faction's rules.
    Civilian suggests peace, but not all civilians are peaceful - some are filled with hate, anger, have a hero-complex, etc.
    You are a civilian inside a social structure, but not in open space.

Commons shouldn't be flagged pirate for attacking, only for causing hull damage.
    Military could attack illegals.

Illegal could be crafts/entities which fit certain criteria (we could use regex for that if we can access the variables from a scanned ship).
    Activity could be monitored and the monitoring entity checks rules from everyone connected to it's network.
    If a rule is violated, the rule-source will be notified by the monitoring entity.
    This is a shortcut for having to check the same rule over and over again at rule-sources or load their sectors.​

The Judge

Kill me please
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Oh boy, here's the deal

In 1939 did the Poles say "Stop, STOP! We're not ready yet!"
    Maybe some dedicated RP Servers

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Having a flag with a few anti-exploit failsafes should work. Like say if you turn on the PvP flag you can't turn it off for X amount of time and if you fire at some other player's ship it auto turns on for a short time. There are others but these seem to be the most common and easy to work with.

I'm primarily a PvE player but will fight in PvP if I have to in order to get away or drive someone out of my area. :) General rule I have is as long as you don't mess with me I won't mess with you. :P

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Perhaps:
    You can only damage other ships if your PvP flag has been enabled for 2 minutes or »if they shoot you first regardless of damage-ability«.
    If you shoot someone who you can actually damage, your PvP flag gets locked in-PvP for 2 minutes.
    More details on consequences:
    If someone is PvP-flagged and you are not, you cannot damage him with an PvP-flagon-ambush.
    If someone is PvP-flagged and you are not, he cannot damage you.
    If you are both PvP-flagged for 2 min, you can engage each other.
    Toggling the PvP-flag on for yourself leaves you vulnerable to ambushes (first-strikes) while you get a delayed PvP-mode.
    Toggling the PvP-flag off is disabled for 2 min after attacking.

"you/yourself" and "someone" should be interchangeable in above rules.
    Whether 2 entities can attack each other when they are not using PvP-flags but faction-policies might work the same way for confidence.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Oh boy, here's the deal

In 1939 did the Poles say "Stop, STOP! We're not ready yet!"
    Maybe some dedicated RP Servers
    Well its a good thing we're playing a video game intended to be fun for everyone involved and not starting a genocidal world war, isn't it?

Seriously, you want to compare a VIDEO GAME to the actual World War II? The levels of... nevermind. There is no way to respond to this without actually insulting someone.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Well its a good thing we're playing a video game intended to be fun for everyone involved and not starting a genocidal world war, isn't it?

Seriously, you want to compare a VIDEO GAME to the actual World War II? The levels of... nevermind. There is no way to respond to this without actually insulting someone.
    Telling facts in a world full of lies is good karma. Adding a lie is a bad karma.
    Whether Karma itself (either side) is good or bad, your choice. I heard some peoples which don't know/want the concept of money are still alive.

So maybe we shouldn't stop someone from violating server rules but flag him as pirate/friendly/politician depending on his karma-level and karma-direction.

With a +10/-10 limit, this would be a goal of maybe 5/3 for pirate 1/1 for friendly and 3/5 for politician. Whichever goal you are closer to is your allegiance​

Reaction score
    How would flagging even work? Besides ccooldowns and if thens, is it every entity in the faction? How would it work with fleets? Stations should always be active, because if you make a station then you should make it defensible.

(2)This mostly elimintates PVP in an open world gameplay, because I know that if I wanted to attack someone I would need to find them when they leave their HB, in this system I can't imagine anyone ever leaving their homebase without invincibility on.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    NeonSturm I think that Karma stuff [or something similar], already comes with the npcs relationship system, but it's not a bad idea expand it to "players - players" at "npcs faction controled areas" [I would go further and apply it to IPs not to accounts]
    A login-alias is only a linked to the ID via an account == An IP-alias is only linked to an ID via an account.
    For below, I use these assumptions:
    1. Assumption: An ID is the "individual non-replicable/reproducible human self"
    2. Assumption: The account is the database node (you can call it entry as long as it's linked to the login/API).
    3. Assumption: A "login alias" is "username+password", an "IP alias" is "an IP e.g: like 127.0.0.1 for localhost/admin".

I said, the "login alias → account → ID", you said "ip alias → account → ID".
    "login alias" has the issue that you:
    1. can create a new account with a new login login alias (but forum/cc content is linked to only one).
    "IP alias has the issue that you:
    1. need to share an ID with your brother.
    2. can use a Proxy
    3. can hack someone's PC with a community-content launcher and link his IP to an alias with bad karma.
    I think we shouldn't try to enforce that everyone can use only 1 ID.
    If you want that, you need to back it up with "invested effort" like forum posts, playing time, "completed tutorial/test", etc, which would discriminate newbies because nobody trusts them.
    discriminate means "(by)d=home/default is (a)criminal"

e.g1: This "alias → (of) unique-ID" is worth 10 hours - or essentially: worth "nothing".
    e.g2: That "alias" is worth 4 years - or essentially: "You carry all god/bad Karma from aeons ago with you".

But the real reason I don't want 1-ID-enforcement is that a player should have many characters if he wants to:
    1. DaBoss: Ein Ork-Pirat.
    2. Da'an: Ein Eldar. Da'an can mean
      • The one born for ascending who will stay with the ascended.
      • D/home a/ascending ' a/ascended n/staying.
    Unless schema allows to link different characters to the same account, this isn't possible. *
    * And because accounts can send new passwords to an email, I recommend logging in with your "email+password" which links database-ID
    The database-ID can then link to a main-account and multiple child accounts.
    Servers can allow only the main account or only child accounts or both ( ANOTHER_OPTION™ ;) )​
    [doublepost=1490020994,1490020112][/doublepost]
    New How would flagging even work? Besides ccooldowns and if thens, is it every entity in the faction? How would it work with fleets? Stations should always be active, because if you make a station then you should make it defensible.
    For flagging, you have a 1.capacity of good/bad karma and if you step over it, they either annihilate the other or sling back onto you.
    This capacity can be infinite or capped or disabled for instant sling-back (option block, temp ban, etc). It can also have different caps for good/bad.

Secondly, you can have different Karma functions:
    1. account karma - bound to the database-ID
    2. char karma - is the char's karma or account+char karma (server config, or depend on using main/child chars from your account).
    3. captain karma - equal to char karma (captain is an alias for a char flying the ship issuing the action)
    4. fleet char karma - is the sum of char+ship+fleet+faction karma but only fleet/char-karma can change.
    5. fleet captain karma - is the sum of captain+ship+fleet+faction karma but only fleet/char-karma can change.
    6. faction karma - is the sum of all it's members.
    For each action, you need to figure out which karma to see and which karma to modify.
    A ship can show "captain+ship+fleet+faction" karma but only modify "ship karma".

The functions do not need to be all implemented, but the words you use defines which to show/modify.
    If you show, you need to select weights (pilot:100% of 2 + faction:100% of 15 / 3members = total of 7 = 2+5)
    If you modify, you also need to select weights for which karma should be affects how much.​

This is a complete description, SM could also choose to only implement a subset of it.​

Reactions: Arkudo
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Ahhhh no?

If anything PvP needs to be encouraged rather than discouraged. Sitting in Homebase wiggling your thumb while looking at this awesome warship that you built is rather pointless, then you just admire it, and leave the server.

I take my 15k mass ship around fighting stuff for shits and giggles anyway. Am I confident I will win? Sometimes. Do I fight anything I see? Almost, did kill a 35k mass and a 45k mass cube.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Please stop using the term fun as an argument.[Is something that can not be measured and depends on each person].
    Goes both ways, deary.

If our wanting to be left alone to play in peace disrupts your "fun" of blowing people up, your blowing people up disrupts our "fun" of building and socializing.

You don't get to say your version of fun is better than ours, and I'm only saying give people the option to choose which way they want to play the game. I'm not saying to ban PvP altogether, I saying let people choose if/when they want to do it.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    If anything PvP needs to be encouraged rather than discouraged. Sitting in Homebase wiggling your thumb while looking at this awesome warship that you built is rather pointless, then you just admire it, and leave the server.
    If each account supports multiple "characters" selectable ingame, you could have a pirate-character and a creative-character.

If our wanting to be left alone to play in peace disrupts your "fun" of blowing people up, your blowing people up disrupts our "fun" of building and socializing.
    Fun-Killers are subject to the Fermi-Dirac statistic (repelling), Cooperative players benefit from the Bose-Einstein statistic (attraction).​

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    If each account supports multiple "characters" selectable ingame, you could have a pirate-character and a creative-character.

Fun-Killers are subject to the Fermi-Dirac statistic (repelling), Cooperative players benefit from the Bose-Einstein statistic (attraction).​
    I dont need a pirate character, my own "mortiferum" would more than do for both creative and killing things.

Reaction score
    i actually think flags is a good idea, but should be off by default. let the people who want to do nothing but build and never use their creations sit around and eventually get bored and quit because they think theres no actual gameplay to be had. i wont be playing on those servers.