Dyson Spheres..

Reaction score
    For those of you who don't know what a Dyson Sphere is, there are several different versions, with the most popular one being a solid shell of matter entirely encompassing a star, blocking all light and radiation it emits and harvesting it for the people who built it. Imagine that - being able to truly capture 100% of the energy output of your star. The Dyson Sphere looks like a massive man-made planet from the outside, having a radius of usually about 1 AU from the star - assuming a sun like star.

Couple of images from an old Star Trek: TNG episode where they find an ancient Dyson Sphere.

From the outside.

From the inside.

Now onto the interesting bit, are the stars in Starmade actually physical objects like in EVE? I wandered too close to one a few days ago and started taking hull damage on my ship, had to get out pretty sharpish, but has anyone ever managed to fly up to one and check if they are actually 3D objects or a 2D backdrop?

If they are actual objects, do you think it within the realm of possibility to construct a gigantic Dyson Sphere fully encompassing the star, just outside of it's damaging range? It's a cool concept, and if it were even possible, the time it would take to build I imagine would be absolutely enormous.

Reaction score
    No. They aren't solid. Try it in godmode.

Yes, you could can and SHOULD try to make a Dyson Sphere and then upload screenshots.

Reaction score
    Solidity isn't an issue I think, for this to work they just need to be an actual physical object with a fixed point in space.

I'm not going to try it though, at least not for a long while and not by myself, was just a cool concept. xD

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    The problem with that Idea is the Sphere would encompass several Sectors, which is already a major que of Lag, add in that the Sector rotations and well... I wouldn't recommend it *^*

That being said, Stars aren't that strong (A cruiser sized ship could survive inside for a while) And are basically a Special "Gas sector", so a Empty sector with a special Backdrop and causes Damage to those too close * ^* They will get a Revamp someday, so I dont know if they will actually have an entity :u But theres always mods for That *^*

Reaction score
    I'm not going to try it though, at least not for a long while and not by myself, was just a cool concept. xD
    Vakna, there are the dreamers and then there are the dooers. The dooers make history, the dreamers make conversation.

This is your chance to make Starmade history! Break open the epic music mixes on YouTube, boot up Starmade and do us proud, son.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    Dyson Sphere? With the way the game is now, nothing more than a pip dream.

Now, an O'Neil Cylinder? That's doable.

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    Use (Insert 3D modeling software of your choice) to make a big hollow sphere, load it in SMEdit, scale it up to the size you want, replace all blocks with (Insert cheap block of your choice) to make it spawnable, move core to outer edge, spawn around star.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Use (Insert 3D modeling software of your choice) to make a big hollow sphere, load it in SMEdit, scale it up to the size you want, replace all blocks with (Insert cheap block of your choice) to make it spawnable, move core to outer edge, spawn around star.
    SMedit can generate spheres on it's own. Also, it starts taking up a ton of memory when you start going over 350m or so in diameter. A dyson sphere would have to be insanely larger. But yeah, it would never render at that size.

Reaction score
    Someone on a server I used to be on tried to encase a star (using a faction base as the core, since it wouldn't take damage), but it didn't work -- the light FX still shone brightly even when the star was fully enclosed. They finally settled for a base within the star, which made pirate raids pretty amusing :p

Reactions: tatte
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I see we have a fellow trekie in our mists. Interesting idea, I always wondered why stars weren't solid (they should probably do that, make it made of a really valuable block called plasma), but if that ever becomes a thing as well as solar panels, I'd love to see a functional one :)

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    I see we have a fellow trekie in our mists. Interesting idea, I always wondered why stars weren't solid (they should probably do that, make it made of a really valuable block called plasma), but if that ever becomes a thing as well as solar panels, I'd love to see a functional one :)
    Harvesting solar plasma, yus!

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I know that it's off-topic, but Star heat should probably transform ship blocks into lava rather than just destroy them. And it should quickly drain shields (By a flat %-shields amount) but not ignore them when calculating damage. :P

Reaction score
    I know that it's off-topic, but Star heat should probably transform ship blocks into lava rather than just destroy them. And it should quickly drain shields (By a flat %-shields amount) but not ignore them when calculating damage. :p
    Then introduce a special type of shielding blocks that cost a lot, give you high resistance (not immunity) to star's radiation, and allow you to get close enough to mine the star for it's solar material. Needs to happen! :O

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    Seriously. O'Neill Cylinders. Dyson Spheres are way too big, and a complete waste of time.

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    Was pretty clear we were actually talking about the stellar material, not the energy. ^^
    What stellar material? A star is not a tangible object that you can just scrape a little off the top and haul it away. It's an enormous nuclear explosion in space, a furnace that burns millions of tonnes of hydrogen a second. The only solid part is the core. The very idea of harvesting a star itself is far beyond our comprehension and I really doubt it'll be something we see humans do for over a thousand years.

Reactions: Darth Plaigus
    Reaction score
    What stellar material? A star is not a tangible object that you can just scrape a little off the top and haul it away.
    Didn't you watch Stargate Universe? :)
    Also, not an explosion.

Feasibility of Dyson spheres in SM? A lot more probable than my dream. :(
    (... although the ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the force.)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    Didn't you watch Stargate Universe? :)
    Also, not an explosion.

Feasibility of Dyson spheres in SM? A lot more probable than my dream. :(
    (... although the ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the force.)
    Any reaction is an explosion. The definition of an explosion is the sudden expansion of energy. A star is basically an explosion.

And SG:U was terrible.

Reactions: caelum19