Rejected Dual wedge blocks

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    The one thing I really find annoying (I don't know if anyone else does) is that only one wedge can be put in a block. A wedge is half of a block, so technically two wedges should be able to fit in one block. This would be important for the aesthetic part of shipbuilding, to provide smoother color transitions, so it doesn't look like there is an abrupt change in color.

ToasterBorst

Formerly known as Weishaupt
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Wired for Logic
    It can be done with docked entities, assuming you mean wedge on wedge placement.
    While many of us would love it if we could achieve this without the use of a docked core, it has been declared impossible and rejected.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    As toasterborst has stated, it is currently either highly impractical to create new blocks with every wedge combination, or impossible to do with the current grid-based system that the blocks use.

Blaza612

The Dog of Dissapointment
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I'm not advocating for the above suggestion, however, I am curious as to how exactly it is impossible.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I'm not advocating for the above suggestion, however, I am curious as to how exactly it is impossible.
    Each block takes one place on the grid (like chess pieces on the chess board - only one piece can be on one square at one time) and each block has its own texture (be it single color or more complex graphics or transparency). If you would want to have a cube that looks like 2 wedges it would need to have all color combinations there are to suit everyone's needs. The number of combinations is n * (n-1) where n is number of different colors ( its n * (n-1) cus n*n would mean single color which we already have). If you have 20 colors this would mean u need 20*19 different blocks which is 380. If there are 40 colors you would need 1560 different blocks. This is complete waste of resources considering the gain. You must not that making games requires a lot of economical calculations in a sense loss vs gain - in this case block count, number of textures, time used to do all the coding just to get a bit more diverse graphics which only has basically almost no benefit for the game play.

Blaza612

The Dog of Dissapointment
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    only one piece can be on one square at one time) and each block has its own texture
    I thought it was mesh based. I know how bloody voxels work. :p

EDIT: Managed to press post before done >_>

Something that I want to see is being able to alter a wedge mesh. You'd be able to choose the height of the upper side of the slant, and the height of the lower side of the slant. The only problem with this, is that it'd be more resource intensive because of the blocks having to know each variation.

One thing that was said previously is that it'd be too tedious to create each and every mesh for every possibility. In the case of two blocks on one, then yes. But in the case of what I've stated above, simply getting the game to generate the mesh based on the vertices wouldn't be that hard at all. And because of the previous statement, I wonder if there is some sort of limitation with the engine that somehow prevents that. Hence the question. :p

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Purchased!
    The current Starmade block IDs system, only allows one space per block, because of this, if 2 or more blocks was placed in the same space, should be create a new block and ID with the combination of all possible blocks, and that is not efficient both in design and resources used ( Speaking in terms of programming and textures used ).

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    One thing that was said previously is that it'd be too tedious to create each and every mesh for every possibility. In the case of two blocks on one, then yes. But in the case of what I've stated above, simply getting the game to generate the mesh based on the vertices wouldn't be that hard at all. And because of the previous statement, I wonder if there is some sort of limitation with the engine that somehow prevents that. Hence the question. :p
    Yes, there is a limitation, that being that the block system was not designed to accommodate block metadata. I dunno if this will change in the future.