Drone Countermeasures.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    So what is the best ways to counter drones?

I have tried point defense turrets, but drones target them first and because ship shields don't extend to turrets, the drones make short work of them.

The missile missile combo works, but you can't use it in fleet actions.

Damaged pulse in my experience has to short a range.

And using drones to counter drones is messy and expensive.

Crashmaster

I got N64 problems but a bitch ain't one
    Reaction score
    Nuke the carrier ship from out of engagement range with a fast-moving first-strike stealth torpedo bomber before it can deploy it's drones.

Reaction score
    Wait for drones to deploy, jump away, dare the other ship to follow you, then claim victory.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    A jammer helps.

I say Gatling turrets.

*Requires hands on experience with logic*

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    I'd love if this turned into a Drone Countermeasure R&D thread to combat the Drone R&D currently going on. :D

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Pulses need to have their range seriously buffed if we want any reliable anti-drone measures.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Here are a few of the things I have learned playing with anti drone weapons.

First cannon turrets work, but drones target turrets first and they don't really miss. While the turrets often have trouble hitting the broadside of the Borg cube siting right next to them.

Beam turrets are like cannon turrets. Except their ability to hit a target might be slightly better. This is offset by the fact that they cant hit anything further away then 500 meters. Cannons will at least try to hit something at 1000 meters. (And when I say 1000 meters I really mean 995 meters.)

Guided missile turrets are some what better, at lest they hit their targets. However their very slow firing, so they are usually dead before they fire a second shot.

Now the missile+missile combo mounted on a ship will work rather well. However your friends better stay back because these little devils don't care who they go after.

Reaction score
    Has anyone tried mounting the turrets inside the ship to use the ships shields to protect the turrets?

Reaction score
    It works, but it's a really really really lame tactic...
    Yes It's a bit cheap, but could be mounted in openings on the side of the ship like on the Venator-Class Star-Destroyer's from StarWars, That way they wouldn't be totally invulnerable from outside fire.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    Has anyone tried mounting the turrets inside the ship to use the ships shields to protect the turrets?
    Yes. It requires a fair amount of extra work though, so should only really be used on larger turrets. My current projects all experiment with this to one degree or another, you can check 'em out on Genx if you like.

Thalanor

CEO Snataris Colonial Fleetyards
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Turrets inside ships surely won't work forever. Not a future proof strategy, and a cheap one, too ;)

Turret corridors and turret "pockets" in the hull are fine though. I design my ships so that even if turrets actually needed a line of sight to even notice a target, they would still work.

Reaction score
    I'm wondering how much shields a turret would need to withstand the damage from a few drones. Most of the drones I've seen are miniature 7*7*7 doom cubes and I doubt they'd do too much damage against a turret with 50 K shields.

I recess my turrets, so that the majority of the turret's body is sunken into the mother-ship's hull and the weapon output is right up the top (so the turret has a clear line of fire). It's a bit like the tip of an iceberg (that shoots penguins at you).