• Total voters
    Reaction score
    hi
    after spamming a endless stream of ideas on the suggestion page
    I taught id ask the public first before posting yet another idea

now what I see is that there are
    ppl that want to build
    ppl that like the industrial side of the game
    and ppl that want to pvp without the whole hassle of seeking a place setting up a base and do endless tests etc etc before finally getting to open fire on someone

the idea
    for the last group have a way to join enclosed battles with a time limit and a objective
    that can be a last man standing or a capture the flag ... (floating near a structure till the color flips to your side)
    it can be done with random match making or premade groups

like most rated battles you can climb and fall in rank
    and you get matched up against players of near equal skill

before you go in you as a pilot you need to select a ship
    for anyone new.. you can pick one of the isanth ships.. they are free and the repair costs can never surpass the battles reward
    as you get points and credits you can then spend them on player made ships and repairs

the player made ships get submitted onto a market place designed for this type of battles
    with weight and or size limits
    they can not be altered by fighters.. you will need to buy another design from the market

every builder that builds for this type of battle also gets a resource limitation
    so starting builders only have hull

but as people buy your ships you can trade these tokens for standard and advanced armor
    these do not get consumed on the construction of a ship but do get consumed on the construction of a
    design

so far my idea
    mby ill tweek it here and there as i get feedback

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I am thinking that the "Robocraft" arena battle mode would be good for the action side of Starmade.

I am thinking that various ships would be matched up by ship capability. The devs have already started a point system to "classify" ships; it's a work-in-progress, but as it gets better, it could lead to good match-ups. Skill would then make all the difference, and because matched-up ships would be fairly close in capability in theory, it would be less frustrating to lose, because it then becomes all about you and what skill you bring to the battle.

CTF would be a natural fit for Starmade. Simply switch the atmosphere color of a captured planet to the winning team's color when it wins an orbital battle or is able to hold a significant ground base for such a length of time. It would be best if there wasn't just one "flag" per side, but a whole solar system of planets (say, 5 per side). No defense in space, really, it would be almost all attack.

Maybe each captured structure/planet would increase the build rate of ships at the team's homebase. A planet would need a minimum of 3 ships on one faction and at least 2 ships, each one from any other faction (I'm thinking of more than just 2 teams per battle), before it would be capture-able. That way, you ensure that there is a big space battle, and not just a lame scenario, where one lone guy just hangs out in orbit until the planet flips over.

For every 5 wins, you gain some kind of skill rank. This pumps up your effective ship numbers, so that you go up to the next level of ship if you have enough skill, even if the ship you fly falls underneath that new level's numbers. That way, more experienced players get naturally floated up, out of the newbie battles after winning too much. Similarly, if you lose 5 battles, you should lose a skill rank, even going into the negative. That way, poor players can play in a battle that they match up with, even if they are flying a ship with numbers greater than that battle's ship level. Griefers will game the system and get into battles that they shouldn't, but it's hard to prevent that from happening anyway, so lets just go with it.

I don't think there should be any economics at all. The ships available for these battles should be available from Community Content, uploaded onto the server's blueprint system. The ship's systems and block count will be handled by the point system to keep it fair. The ships get built and rebuilt automatically, with the assumption that the team/faction would have built up their resources for the fight, prior to the battle, enough to rebuild as many ships as necessary for a prolonged engagement.

Reactions: wanzer

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    Yes I would like an Arena Block & Quest interface thingy. This has come up before a couple times so I guess it must be a good idea. :)

Yes to the development of ship-classes that would facilitate this idea.

Reaction score
    Just to offer an alternative opinion...

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, NOT EVERY SINGLE F***ING GAME NEEDS TO BE TURNED INTO A GODDAMNED MOBA!!!!!

That is all.

Reaction score
    I am thinking that the "Robocraft" arena battle mode would be good for the action side of Starmade.

I am thinking that various ships would be matched up by ship capability. The devs have already started a point system to "classify" ships; it's a work-in-progress, but as it gets better, it could lead to good match-ups. Skill would then make all the difference, and because matched-up ships would be fairly close in capability in theory, it would be less frustrating to lose, because it then becomes all about you and what skill you bring to the battle.

CTF would be a natural fit for Starmade. Simply switch the atmosphere color of a captured planet to the winning team's color when it wins an orbital battle or is able to hold a significant ground base for such a length of time. It would be best if there wasn't just one "flag" per side, but a whole solar system of planets (say, 5 per side). No defense in space, really, it would be almost all attack.

Maybe each captured structure/planet would increase the build rate of ships at the team's homebase. A planet would need a minimum of 3 ships on one faction and at least 2 ships, each one from any other faction (I'm thinking of more than just 2 teams per battle), before it would be capture-able. That way, you ensure that there is a big space battle, and not just a lame scenario, where one lone guy just hangs out in orbit until the planet flips over.

For every 5 wins, you gain some kind of skill rank. This pumps up your effective ship numbers, so that you go up to the next level of ship if you have enough skill, even if the ship you fly falls underneath that new level's numbers. That way, more experienced players get naturally floated up, out of the newbie battles after winning too much. Similarly, if you lose 5 battles, you should lose a skill rank, even going into the negative. That way, poor players can play in a battle that they match up with, even if they are flying a ship with numbers greater than that battle's ship level. Griefers will game the system and get into battles that they shouldn't, but it's hard to prevent that from happening anyway, so lets just go with it.

I don't think there should be any economics at all. The ships available for these battles should be available from Community Content, uploaded onto the server's blueprint system. The ship's systems and block count will be handled by the point system to keep it fair. The ships get built and rebuilt automatically, with the assumption that the team/faction would have built up their resources for the fight, prior to the battle, enough to rebuild as many ships as necessary for a prolonged engagement.
    +10000000
    Love the idea, but I would start out with much smaller scale battles, like 2-3 on 2-3 in a really big asteroid belt(no, you cannot mine, but you can salvage your way through an asteroid) because for now we just don't have enough players on any given server to do that kind of thing.

Just to offer an alternative opinion...

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, NOT EVERY SINGLE F***ING GAME NEEDS TO BE TURNED INTO A GODDAMNED MOBA!!!!!

That is all.
    This could be an alternate server format, galaxy/sandbox, or battle arena(whatever we call it). It doesn't need to be something in current regular game.

Reaction score
    This could be an alternate server format, galaxy/sandbox, or battle arena(whatever we call it). It doesn't need to be something in current regular game.
    correct

that's my aim ,I am a builder not a fighter and I hate it when content gets changed instead of added.

This post was also a response on some of the posts about people wanting more action.
    Sooo Im thinking of a way people can get a quick yet balanced fight and get builders involved in some way.
    And yes moba games provide fast action for the masses.

I do not want to turn this game into something else
    I just like everyone to have something to chew on.

Reaction score
    Just get a server admin on some server to lock a sector or 9, and start a large-scale battle with admin-spawned ships.

Or do that on your own SP world and watch the AI duke it out....which is always a combination of interesting and repetitive.

Reaction score
    Just get a server admin on some server to lock a sector or 9, and start a large-scale battle with admin-spawned ships.

Or do that on your own SP world and watch the AI duke it out....which is always a combination of interesting and repetitive.
    I think part of this thread is adressing the lack of players. Unless you've got a server with the combined player activity of about 10 or 12 Shattered Skieses, you just wouldn't hvae enough people, and you would have no infistructure or upgrade/create system, and no solid, indistructible maps. I want a really dense asteroid belt. I want open space. I wana massive looking station* that you are flying a small fighter through. I want titan v. 5 smaller ships battles. I want space station turret fights. It would be nice to have a server type for this.

One thing that would keep the players up would be to make this just one server. Everyone was on it. With this you would have at least 5-6 people on at once, so you could make constant differnt battlegrounds, one at a time, where people could chose from the blueprints they had avalible. Select a ship blueprint, put it in a shipyard(this could limit ship size and power), make the ship. If there was ever more than 10 people on you could do fleet fights or larger games with more people.

*This would just be a bunch of really big corrodorlike halways, with 5-6 layers of advanced armor on each side so people could break and dent a few blocks. The thing would have a limited ship size, so no one would be blasting through walls.

Reaction score
    correct

that's my aim ,I am a builder not a fighter and I hate it when content gets changed instead of added.

This post was also a response on some of the posts about people wanting more action.
    Sooo Im thinking of a way people can get a quick yet balanced fight and get builders involved in some way.
    And yes moba games provide fast action for the masses.

I do not want to turn this game into something else
    I just like everyone to have something to chew on.
    A fair point... but the risk you run is of splitting the player base. Half of everybody runs to the new MOBA mode and now there's not enough people playing either mode. (Saw this happen when Robocraft went MOBA)
    And then there is the risk/issue of splitting the developers time. Every man-hour spent working on the new mode is a complete and total waste in the eyes of the players in the original mode. (Looking at you, Elite Dangerous Xbox CQB mode)
    If people want to play a spaceship MOBA, they are welcome to go do so (try Fractured Space, its pretty sweet!), but don't turn Starmade into one, please.

Reaction score
    A fair point... but the risk you run is of splitting the player base. Half of everybody runs to the new MOBA mode and now there's not enough people playing either mode. (Saw this happen when Robocraft went MOBA)
    And then there is the risk/issue of splitting the developers time. Every man-hour spent working on the new mode is a complete and total waste in the eyes of the players in the original mode. (Looking at you, Elite Dangerous Xbox CQB mode)
    If people want to play a spaceship MOBA, they are welcome to go do so (try Fractured Space, its pretty sweet!), but don't turn Starmade into one, please.
    I see

perhaps add some blocks so server owners can setup something ?
    we already have race portals

Reaction score
    perhaps add some blocks so server owners can setup something ?
    I am by no means an expert (or even an amateur) when it comes to custom server settings, but I think it would be possible to set something like this up now, it would just be a little convoluted to set up, and there would have to be a live manager/referee player with admin powers actively running the matches.

Actually, now that I think about it, that could be kind of awesome if someone (with admin powers) set it up within the larger context of an active server. Create a Colosseum-like space... charge players a small entry fee to participate... have an area for other players to watch... take bets on the combatants... offer ships/resources as prizes to the winners... could be pretty sweet, but it all hinges on having an admin with the time and patience to run/manage the whole thing (build the arena/sector/station, spawn in the ships for the combatants/teams, officiate the matches, etc.)

Reaction score
    I am by no means an expert (or even an amateur) when it comes to custom server settings, but I think it would be possible to set something like this up now, it would just be a little convoluted to set up, and there would have to be a live manager/referee player with admin powers actively running the matches.

Actually, now that I think about it, that could be kind of awesome if someone (with admin powers) set it up within the larger context of an active server. Create a Colosseum-like space... charge players a small entry fee to participate... have an area for other players to watch... take bets on the combatants... offer ships/resources as prizes to the winners... could be pretty sweet, but it all hinges on having an admin with the time and patience to run/manage the whole thing (build the arena/sector/station, spawn in the ships for the combatants/teams, officiate the matches, etc.)
    a good admin is often a lazy admin
    give us the blocks and we start building :3

perhaps a list of admin only blocks

containment field bubble block
    with parameters like bubble size and to what group it belongs

flag block
    with parameters like capture time, if its recapturable or not, and to what group it belongs

match block
    with parameters like max match time, if all flags are captured by one team is it a win?, if of all participant's one or one team survives is it a win for that participant or team? where does everyone get rejected once the match is over ? and ofc what group..

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    You know, we already get virtual sectors from shipyards. If we could just invite others into our virtual sectors.... if anyone needs me, I'll be in the suggestion forum.

Reaction score
    I like the idea of matches with size and/or mass restrictions. I just started playing and was looking into joining a server and most of them dont encourage open pvp nor do I think thats necessarily always fun. I think staged pvp would be a great alternative