does anyone alse miss the old turret system?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    it was easy and simple..now it is nearly impossible to make a little turret that that turn and aim all around

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    No not really.
    Was such a pain in the butt and they never looked... right.

Thalanor

CEO Snataris Colonial Fleetyards
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    The old turrets looked so ugly in comparison... it is entirely possible to build very functional turrets with the new system, however the learning curve has increased. Once you master it, you will build turrets that not only look awesome (and make mechanical sense), but also pack a powerful punch like in the old days.

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    noup,the new system is better,and you can fit smaller turrets in smaller spaces.

you can build 3x3x3 turret that CAN fit in 3x3x3 space.
    with old system you had 5x5x5 default area where you couldnt build inside,not even place a single block or it would go red

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    with old system you had 5x5x5 default area where you couldnt build inside,not even place a single block or it would go red
    Worse than 5x5x5, actually. It was 7x7x7.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Don't miss it at all. I like how the new turret system works. If you're having difficulty with it, Bench made an excellent set of videos that explains how the whole rail system works, including turrets.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    there was also the whole thing where the whole turret turned towards the enemy and clipped through your ship, and collided with everything it possibly could. Good times,

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    The only advantage to the old system I remember (apart from it's simplicity) was that you could make an ultra-small turret that was only 4 blocks in volume (3 if you dropped the AI block). Handy if you wanted to leave a nice surprise in your airlock for unwary boarders, but not much else.
    The new system is definitely more realistic and a better aid to immersion because of it.

you can build 3x3x3 turret that CAN fit in 3x3x3 space.
    Do you have an example of this? These days I'm unable to make an effective anti-missile turret that's smaller than 4x3x2. I used to have these things but they're impossible to build now:
    Space Jeep.png

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    I prefer the new system.

The one thing I miss about the old system is that it didn't lag servers/clients to death.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    As a person that has started trying to design good turrets for the first time with the new system, I do not miss the old system. Granted, its a bigger learning curve. I also find it a tad bit more difficult in that I have to work on 2 entities at the same time to get anything that looks like its one object. SO, until I get good at the new turrets, I went and modified one of SkylordLuke's Turrets. Its now self powered, and will soon be colored to match the ship. BUT seeing how it was put together really helped me get an idea of how to think about turrets from an artistic standpoint. TY BTW SkylordLuke.

It may help you get the hang of it to just take someone's turret apart to see how its done. Then build your own based off of it before you do a completely new design.

Reactions: nightrune
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4

This is mine, it's four long but I prefer to have the protruding barrel
    Thanks dude, that's a pretty nifty design! I may plagiari - err, I mean pay tribute to it ;)

Actually, design question: If you put the power generator on the base of the turret instead of the gun, will it still power the gun?

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Not only does the new system make turrets a hell of a lot more pretty but the "new" system also fixes things and makes other things possible like:
    Turrets canbe placed however you want, with the old system there were some sides where you for some reason couldn't place a turret.
    we got rid of the ugly green boxes
    we can now have the turret being able to retract
    you can place extremely small turrets in extremely small rooms.

I do see the point with the old system being more simple but the new one is really easy to learn and work with as soon as you get a small understand of how it works.

Reaction score
    I don't miss the old system at all. The new ones are a little more complicated, and take a bit more work, but the tradeoff of having better looking turrets, and not having them clip through the ship makes it worth it for me.

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    almost forgot I had this picture.
    Docking area isnt big enough, core is somewhat in the middle of the ship

so yes, the old docking system was absolutely great

Reactions: Lecic
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Thanks dude, that's a pretty nifty design! I may plagiari - err, I mean pay tribute to it ;)

Actually, design question: If you put the power generator on the base of the turret instead of the gun, will it still power the gun?
    Hmmm, that picture appears to be the prototype, you can see it doesn't actually have the rail docker where it should be... I need to get updated pictures.

You really could cut out the power all together as the drain from such a small gun should have next to no impact on the ship it's docked to.

Reactions: iAmCodeMonkey

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    stick a single shield recharger to use the base 220 shields from the core as well. :)
    And it is generally a good idea to have at least a single power generator to fill up that default 50k power the core provides, so you can go through the first like 5 minutes of combat before the point defense turrets tanks are empty. Just a thought.

besides, i could never do this with the old turret system:

or this:

Current turrets ^
    Its shooting at a stationary target while the base is spinning on just one axis

Old turrets^ the middle front turret didnt even wake up to pirates until half way through, and the ams didn't hit any missiles, aiming generally 90 degrees off from the missile they were trying to hit.

The old system really limited where you could place your turrets, and what overall shape they would have :/

and while they did work well for some stuff, like tanks

they always had that half-block floaty separation from the mount, and your better off at just doing stuff like this:

warthog like from halo, or have the barrel move up and down inside of of the tank turret.

(^not aiming at the missile yet still killing it, look at those bullet angles :rolleyes:o_O:()

A lot of the time they also have success!

(^Aiming more-so at the missile and stuff like good miniturrets:))

Used spoilers because of the amount of pictures

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Oh I guess I never did actually answer. No, I don't miss the old turret system, the new system is much more flexible and more capable. We can build turrets that have a much wider field of fire than the old system ever had, sure it was simple but it lacked shared shields and turrets always clipped into everything. Hopefully the new system will continue to improve with AI and logic updates.

I finally got around to making a new PD turret, it's only counter sunk a single block, has no floating elements and a full range of motion. I could easily compress it into a 3x3x3 (2 high if you don't count the recessed rail docker). Thanks to slabs we can have the rail docker flush with the layer of hull and just about never see it. This design is actually almost identical visually and is identical in size profile to my pre-rail point defense turret.

I do, however, find myself missing the old style for docking ships sometimes. It was easy to make a docking pad with a really large docking box and anything that fit in the box could dock, no questions asked. Now for "planetary" docking you really have to design your docks and ships around each other which just isn't an issue with turrets as they tend to sit flat on the hull anyway. Of course larger ships can benefit from USDs so they are not an issue but I do have some fighters that do not have any flat points on the bottom in order to dock.

Reactions: Blodge

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    The old turrets were just place-holders for whet we have now. Don't mourn them.

There are still simple small systems for anti-boarding: logic driven Dam-Pulse/Push-Pulse. Heck you can logic drive a single ship-cannon down a corridor (triggered by 'step-on' or area-detect mods) if you felt like it. Limitations are good for the imagination.

New turret designs just looks better. If you desire the freedom of movement don't get married to the idea that a turret-barrel must be connected physically to the base. Make the barrel float off-center, pivoting around the base's Turret-Rotator axis. Like the profile of a crane the base can swivel and the barrel has a full 360 degree rotation. This is zero-collision design, minimizing turret-lag.

On this subject I encourage all builders to commit to minimizing lag in their turret designs.
    -Avoid barrels that stick out and collide with mother-ship. If the barrels are needed for the aesthetic, mount them such that they do not hit anything near-by, including other turret-barrels.
    -Make turret-bases that don't have bits sticking out that collide with other tricky-bits.
    -There is a huge variety of designs that allow for 360 rotation of the barrel with no collisions. Currently the AI is dumb and wastes energy firing at its mother-ship while tracking a target. (No damage to the MS but can be hurting power consumption.) In these cases I may use a 'limit-bar' that prevents the barrel from going below the hull-line. The barrel may function as its own limit-bar but this does not allow for fine tuning the turret to it's station on the MS.

Here is example of a ball-turret with amazing field of fire and zero collision potential.
    My masterpiece: the Eye-of-Justice:
    Eye-O-Justice.jpg

Cheers,
    Luk

...sry no Vids yet.
    starmade-screenshot-0062.jpg Spec of my Eye.jpg starmade-screenshot-0354.jpg

Last edited:
    Reactions: Blodge