Docking

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Would love to have some ideas as to whether or not this is a bug, I shall be including a screenshot

My ship is just under the docking area i've been trying to get it to dock onto, however, it keeps saying the docking area is too smal (this is with and without ships docked onto it). Other ships are able to dock onto it, but they are smaller ships. if i remove the enhancers in the 'Y' direction, the docking preview box is no longer 5x70x5 it becomes 70x5x5, if i then remove the enhancers in the 'X' direction, it changes from 70x5x5 to 5x5x70. This tells me that the docking area has been built correctly, however, only one direction is taken into consideration, rather than all 3.

Is this purposeful, a yet implemented feature, or a bug?

--Humroben--

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Could you take another screenshot which has a clear view of the enhancers and how they are connected to each other, and has the docking module selected so that the enhancers connected to it are highlighted with the purple outline?

(If you have lines of enhancers running in different directions which are not connected to each other, perhaps that is the problem. Try making an L or 3d L-equivalent shape.)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I turned it inot a 3-D representation of an \'L\' and here is the result

btw, this is the same on linux and windows

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Is that the docking module in the middle of all three? That doesn\'t seem to work.

By the way, the green box is not always accurate.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    the docking area is large enough to hold my large ship, yet it says the area is too small, i\'ve even done a measurement, and yes, that is the module in the middle

Reaction score
    Try creating a new ship, with just like 5 blocks all in a straight line. See which way those blocks are docked to the docking port.

Make sure you are enhancing the width and length correctly.

You might have to rotate the docking block so the ship docks in the correct direction.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    the docking area can hold a ship that is 100x100x100, my ship is 92x26x47

Reaction score
    In my experience the docking enhancers need to touch eachother and wont actually work if they have to go through the docking module. Also check the direction of the station, since your area is square this shouldn\'t apply to you, but for general knowledge the ships always dock in the same facing as the station/planet/whatever, so make sure your docking box isn\'t sideways. Another thing I\'ve noticed is if for example you just remove the docking module and replace it with an enhancer then drop the module underneath and manually connect the enhancers to it, it doesn\'t work, I always have to remove everything, then module down first, select it with C, then drop enhancers.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    This is not how docking modules work, unfortunately. There is a certain # of blocks from the ship\'s core in every direction which is permitted. With no extenders, it is 5. So you could have an 11x11x11 ship fit in a standard docking module with no extenders, but only if the core was dead center. If not... an 11x11x11 ship with the core in the front for instance will not fit because the back is more than 5 tiles away from the core.

This is likely the problem you are experiencing.now, and as was said, the green outline doesn\'t depict this either. It was determined experimentally. You will simply have to add more extenders in whatever direction the core is offset from center - but you may be able to remove some in the others as the green box is not accurate, and if your core is near the middle there, the actual bounding box may extend a distance beyond the green box in that direction.

I have not determined how much each extender adds yet, as I\'ve been working on fighters, etc, recently.

Reaction score
    this is a problem ive had before. the enhancers cant all attatch to the dock that way (like any logical person would, unfortunately). each axis has to be attached to a seperate spot. each axis should be attached sideways to the dock, not coming out of it directely. the enhancers dont technically have to be attached to the dock itself, so if you move them around a bit, it should work. in this arrangement you already have set up, they wont work. i think its because the dock only recognizes one axis because all the docking enhancers are coming directly out of a side of the dock.

sorry if i didnt explain well, i have a screenshot to show, but i dont know how to post it without first posting it somewhere else online.

Reaction score
    ps, like the ship.

also, trying to dock a ship to a station may be useless. if your ship has its own docking ports, chain docking isnt allowed, so you wouldnt be allowed to dock anyway.

Reaction score
    Your setup in screenshot is kinda like

E
    E
    E
    DEEEEE
    E
    E
    E

Needs to be

--E
    --E
    --E
    DEEEEEEE
    --E
    --E
    --E

So the docking module isnt preventing the srips of enhancers from touching eachother

Reaction score
    Exactly as Raelimar say. You had 3 groups of extenders. Docking unit will only use 1 extender group which has largest dimensions.