Docking: Soon pls?

Mered4

Space Triangle Builder
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Hey folks!

First off, here's a link to a relevant thread on the subject, of which I am sure you are all aware.

http://starmadedock.net/threads/the-docking-paradox.4033/

Second, here is my personal suggestion on docking units:

Instead of dimensions, let's use mass. The more enhancers, the more mass/blocks you can put on the dock. I'll leave the other details to be decided later - this just seems the most logical course of action for the simple issue.

The second part of this suggestion will solve the other problems with docks - mainly, the use of docked ships to add extra durability to your mothership., which leads to internal docking module designs, which leads to clipping out the wazoo. The solution is simple: remove the motivation to make these modules by making them less efficient than just a single solid ship. I know, I know - I'm encouraging we buff power and fix the missile mechanics for docked entities. Heresy, right?

Once you hit the power cap, making an efficient ship is literally ( no longer possible. Thus, making a modular design with multiple smaller, more efficient ships powering a titan makes a ton of logical sense. In my Titan, the Leviathan, I do just this by placing around ten modules that each provide 750k power regen to the ship. It's a bonus of around 215k per module. That's TWO MILLION extra power regeneration, on top of the ~5 million that could have been provided by power blocks alone. I do not use the slightly less popular method of surrounding your core with heavy shield modules, which is just spammy and dangerous for servers.

Titans aren't the only problem, mind - I use these modules all the time in smaller ships to boost their efficiency and artificially inflate their weight class. My latest ship, the Dream Runner, is 34k mass, and equipped with some fairly powerful torpedoes and cannon arrays. It would not be able to field these weapons without the modules present inside my ship. They more than double the power regeneration of the vessel. These weapons allow me to go toe-to-toe with and even destroy ships of 100k+ mass, but without the cost of say, my Death Star at 200k mass.

Given the tools, the community will push the limits of the system. If you eliminate the benefits to pushing the wrong limits, we can solve the problem by reserving it for edge cases and exceptions.

Here, have a proposal:

Schema, can you guys PLEASE start taking a serious look at fixing the docking system? I know it will be difficult and a ton of folks won't be happy, but most of us just want it fixed.

Schema pls.

Reaction score
    Yes, please do the docking system! We all know you're very busy with other systems, but get the core systems *fully* sorted out first. We want our maiden voyage to be like a huge airship which people flock outside to see, not a small balloon that a few people take notice of!

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Hey folks!

First off, here's a link to a relevant thread on the subject, of which I am sure you are all aware.

http://starmadedock.net/threads/the-docking-paradox.4033/

Second, here is my personal suggestion on docking units:

Instead of dimensions, let's use mass. The more enhancers, the more mass/blocks you can put on the dock. I'll leave the other details to be decided later - this just seems the most logical course of action for the simple issue.

The second part of this suggestion will solve the other problems with docks - mainly, the use of docked ships to add extra durability to your mothership., which leads to internal docking module designs, which leads to clipping out the wazoo. The solution is simple: remove the motivation to make these modules by making them less efficient than just a single solid ship. I know, I know - I'm encouraging we buff power and fix the missile mechanics for docked entities. Heresy, right?

Once you hit the power cap, making an efficient ship is literally ( no longer possible. Thus, making a modular design with multiple smaller, more efficient ships powering a titan makes a ton of logical sense. In my Titan, the Leviathan, I do just this by placing around ten modules that each provide 750k power regen to the ship. It's a bonus of around 215k per module. That's TWO MILLION extra power regeneration, on top of the ~5 million that could have been provided by power blocks alone. I do not use the slightly less popular method of surrounding your core with heavy shield modules, which is just spammy and dangerous for servers.

Titans aren't the only problem, mind - I use these modules all the time in smaller ships to boost their efficiency and artificially inflate their weight class. My latest ship, the Dream Runner, is 34k mass, and equipped with some fairly powerful torpedoes and cannon arrays. It would not be able to field these weapons without the modules present inside my ship. They more than double the power regeneration of the vessel. These weapons allow me to go toe-to-toe with and even destroy ships of 100k+ mass, but without the cost of say, my Death Star at 200k mass.

Given the tools, the community will push the limits of the system. If you eliminate the benefits to pushing the wrong limits, we can solve the problem by reserving it for edge cases and exceptions.

Here, have a proposal:

Schema, can you guys PLEASE start taking a serious look at fixing the docking system? I know it will be difficult and a ton of folks won't be happy, but most of us just want it fixed.

Schema pls.
    skooma pls

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Mmm, skooma. I don't know, the volume docking mechanic works, but mass might be mor viable. Not to mention allow better turret/fighter cradling, and even shipyard gantry operations. It would be nice not to be so square see? Lol.

Reaction score
    The whole point of using enhancers for dimensions is to prevent clipping between docked ships.

However I do think it's about time to implement being able to choose which direction your stuff faces when docked
    (ironically, this was supposedly added more than a year ago but nobody figured out how and it was probably never fixed)

Mered4

Space Triangle Builder
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    The whole point of using enhancers for dimensions is to prevent clipping between docked ships.

However I do think it's about time to implement being able to choose which direction your stuff faces when docked
    (ironically, this was supposedly added more than a year ago but nobody figured out how and it was probably never fixed)
    Clipping isn't the only issue - docking ports themselves are extremely inflexible in size and shape.