Docking! Redone!!

Reaction score
    Advanced Docking Proposal

By:Arstotzka Defense Ind.

Docking Proposal Summary

To better enhance docking we at ADI propose to either scrap current code and models, or create new Advanced Docking Systems.

Main Systems

-Advanced Docking Computer

-Base system to all docking systems past the basic docking computers and extenders. Allows for access of UI panel for named:Docking.

-Advanced Docking Port

-GUI

-Connector +

-Connector -

-Module Computer

-Docking Cockpit

Select

-Main Ship Core

Select

Secondary Systems

-Advanced Docking Cockpit

-Used in association with the ADCom or the MCom to attach to target block for better lineup of docking ports

-Advanced Docking Target

-Used as target for ADCoc

-Docking Port

-Used with -/+ values to create a magnetic pull between ships or modules, also acts as conduit for power and commands

-Docking Thrusters

-Docking thrusters work like maneuvering thrusters IRL. thrusting .001 thrust in any direction, do not increase power when attached with more than one thruster

-Module Computer

-Computer used to manage multi-ship co-ordination. Creates window in Docking section of UI that shows what ship is currently the main ship core. Ships cannot access other ships resources and power/thrust/firepower/armor without this device.

-Docking Cockpit

Select

-Main Ship Core

Select

UI Panel Docking

sections

-Basic

-Advanced

-Module

-Ship Core Main

-Docking

-Choose Docking Cockpit

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Advanced Docking Computer
    I don\'t get what you are trying to have done here. A Gui for docking? What gain would this offer?

Docking Port/Docking Thrusters
    Doesn\'t the current docking beam do this?

Module Computer
    What resources are you talking about? Adding power or thrust would only lead to new balancing issues as there would be some ships now made only for power or only for thrust efficency, wouldn\'t this defeat the purpose as currently docking does not add mass to the docked ship. As for firepower, isn\'t that what already happens?

Undetailed areas
    How complex are you wishing docking to be? Maybe I am not seeing things as you intended them and drew wrong conclusions. Could you explain the advantages of your system compared to the current?

Reaction score
    The system is soposed to work more like in real life docking, were ships actually have to be locked together either with clamps or magnetically

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    He\'s go a point. Just add in a docking module in the hangar, add one on the ship, put the computer in the ship hotbar, (such as where the weapons computers and such go) select the computer, and make the docking module on the ship and the one in the hangar connect by clicking the module in the hangar while the docking computer active.

Reaction score
    My point is is that this makes making ships slightly realistic mandatory

You have to use magnets or clamps to dock ships, when two docking targets conect, you can use the full armament of that ship,the power, engines, and sheilds

In real life if we were to build a large ship we woudl build it in giant modules, and put the together to make one ship that is absolutley massive

Just like they plan to do for a mars mission or a mission to jupiter, this just makes building those big ships that much easier

Vii

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    You made this long list of docking blocks and didn\'t really express what the simple point of it all is?

Reaction score
    Hey that would be really cool. That way one have more controll of the docking ports. Something i would really like.

Reaction score
    Really neat, but completely unnecessary, its a voxel-based sandbox, not KSP. Its not a smiluator its a Sci-fi/Fantasy Space Opera game, if they want magical docking so be it, I think the game benefits from it. This idea would be better suited for a mod or 3rd party overhaul -- making something more difficult is not always for the best... but the docking system could use a secondary allignment selection, I built hangers with omni-directional ports and now they all face forwards when something docks with it.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Making the docking it\'s own unit AND have it use the EXISTING mechanism already in place is imho a no-brainer.

In my haste (and unwillingness) I didn\'t see anything about directional docking beam, so i would like to point out that directional weapons (including the docking beam) would be a nice addition to the entire system, not just here for docking.

But to end this with the original subject, yes, make docking have it\'s own unit just like the existing weapon system.

Reaction score
    With a docking block required for each ship, one could choose the orientation at which they connect. As it is now, you cannot connect two ships parallel to eachother (example: http://www.xeromusic.com/mvgalaga/galagawave2.jpg) without one being ontop of the other. It could even make walking between ships possible if the blocks are positioned right next to similarly shaped doors on each ship.

I too would also like to see more directional blocks. I\'m dissappointed that blocks such gravity, weapons, and cockpits can currently only be made to work in one direction. I\'d really like to be able to build M C Escher style space stations using cleverly oriented gravity blocks, (http://mathcentral.uregina.ca/beyond/articles/Art/relativity.jpg) and ships that can mine and fire downward without facing downward.(http://parentpreviews.com/legacy-pics/independence_day.jpg)