Docking nightmare.

Reaction score
    I had a look before a posted but there is so many sugestions i given up so i make this thread and see if people like my idea.

I have currently mastered Turret docking , but ship docking is a pain in the Ass sorry Schema but it is.

Anyway i had a idea while sitting on the crapper as all good idea come from lol.

The idea is a code change use the current system of docking units and expanders ect but make a standard pattern to how they work, for example we place a docking unit onto a hull we change its direction works fine but one thing the gui does not show you is what way they object would dock to it. simple add another arrow of different colour say blue to show the direction that the object will dock to as often many times people have problems with that.

Expanders when placing an expander on any side of your docking unit you will notice that the box expands in all directions unless directly underneath but even then if you place on the sides it will expand in all directions this is fine but can be really hard to design a nice dock especially when dealing with hangers.

Solution, place a docking unit and make it so underneath the docking unit will only expand the height and the sides expand the direction of the docking box so if you made a little + symbol the docking area will be = large all the way around by the value of what the docking expander has, if you place a docking unit and have one directly below it and then make your + shape of docking expanders it will just mean that you have expanded around the docking unit by 1 expansion value and 2 down that means the height would be 2 units of the value of expander" height been 3 times expander 2 times value of the expander"

I think that would be simpler.

I hope people like this idea, if you have any questions or ideas on improving the docking system with out changing the blocks as i think the blocks are a good idea just work a little wacky or maybe you could tell me what i am doing wrong?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Place ship core at center of ship. Place enhancer in following order y, x , z. Also after building docking area dock ship core then build ship. If you are placing blocks below core undock place blocks then re-dock. Help keep oriention correct