Docking Large Ships

Reaction score
    I'm trying to dock a very large ship to a station but I keep getting "Cannot dock target incompatible," I've looked everywhere and on every topic like this people say to use enhancers. Well, I've used hundreds of the things. The green box is visibly larger.

The ship itself is 212 long x 172 wide by 59 high. The docking area was originally slightly more than that. When I couldn't get it to work I added tons and tons of enhancers and now the docking area is much larger than the ship. I don't know what to do.

Things I have tried:

1) Adding more enhancers
    2) Removing blocks to expose core (yes it's in the center of the ship and not directly exposed)
    3) Tried various cockpit positions to place the beam right.
    4) Flailing the docking beam around like a lunatic in an attempt to actually get it to dock

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Make sure you are looking at the docking module when you use your core to dock. looking at any enhancer will not work, and also try doing it from closer so you know where the beam is hitting so it hits the right block.

Hope this helps!

Also, flailing it around will not help, you need to do a single click with it on the docking module.

Reaction score
    I have a problem with huge ships too. Mine is a bit bigger than PacotheFriendlyTakos but that is not the problem. When i try docking it says that the docking area is too small when it\'s bigger. Is it even possible to dock with huge ships?

EDIT: The bug fixed itself when i restarted the game

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    it sucks trying to dock huge ships to things.

when in doubt, ADD MOAR ENHANCERS!

like, a metric fuckton more of them.

Reaction score
    My mistake was that i tried docking with a huge ship that had a smaller one docked on. That bugs the game and you can no longer dock with anything until you restart the game.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    When you\'re docking in your ship, try using a cockpit towards the bottom of your ship, prefferably under your core. Think of it like this, you\'re not docking from your cursor, but instead your core shoots out a beam, similar to a salvage beam. That beam must connect with the docking node, and if you\'re not looking from your core, it\'s going to be quite offset from your cursor position. It can be a bit tricky at first, but when you get used to it, it will become a breeze. One last thing, try having your docking node jut out one block above all your enhancers, so it\'s much easier to hit that with the beam then just a block in a flat surface.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Ya, I have given up trying to figure out sizes for turrets and ships, it\'s a big old trial and error how big and what dimensions it needs to be until factual info about how the system works is released. A nifty note, your enhancers don\'t need to be anywhere near the actual module, as long as you use the \"c\" select and the \"v\" assign method.

Reaction score
    And of course all the docking enhancers need to be in 1 group, directly attached to eachother in X,Y or Z axis (not diagonally, and not considering docking module be the center of it).

Visual representation of the green box is normally exactly the size of ship that can be docked in it, when ship core is on top of the docking module. So if core was at the head tip of the ship, then you would need docking box twice as big as the ship.