Docking area sideways

Reaction score
    I am trying to dock a ship but the actual area for the ship is sideways to what it should be

http://i.imgur.com/lyHq4iml.png

as you can see, ther blue box is sideways to what it should be for my ship. is this a bug or something in the game i dont know about?

Also, how do I embed a picture?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Odds are good you\'re just confused by the way docking works. We can\'t tell which way is \'forward\' for the thing you\'re trying to dock to, but you don\'t dock nose-to-docking-module (I\'m betting that\'s what you were expecting). Your ship core rests above the docking module and the direction you face depends on where the docking module is pointing, e.g. if it is on the top of the station and points up, your ship will be pointing towards the front of the station. The direction the docking module is facing always aligns with the up axis your ship will have when docked.

It appears to be designed so that fighters always \"land\" on a flat carrier deck no matter what side the docking module is on, but docking modules pointing to the front or back of the ship or station they are on will have especially weird docking angles. (I\'m guessing that\'s where yours is)

Reaction score
    so even though i am trying to dock it sideways, it still wants to dock it forwards?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    It doesn\'t care how you have the ship aligned. It\'ll only dock it the way the docking module is set up.

Reaction score
    i am trying to dock the tank to the side of a ship and expecting it to face into the center. But it looks like it wants to face the tank the same way as the ship

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Yeah. That would be what\'s happening. You just need to change how you have your docking enhancers set up so they\'re extending towards the front of the ship instead of towards its center, and so forth. Aim them in the same direction and rotate the tank so its \'down\' is towards the docking module and you\'ll be able to see how it will dock.

Side note: If the ship core on the tank isn\'t in the center for x or z, you may need more docking enhancers for those (but not y) due to the way they work. (You\'ll find out when you get them rearranged)

Reaction score
    Yeah, i couldn\'t change the way the enhanchers were facing because they would stick out the side. so instead I rotated the tank in SMEdit so forwards was sideways. now it fits perfectly http://imgur.com/qxp8DEg