Docked thruster uses

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Just encase someone hasn't mentioned this idea.

With the ability to use add the docked thrusters power to your main ship by inheriting, there are some useful design options.

Note: docking many small thrusters doesn't increase your power efficiency. The power consumption and thrust is equal to the same about of thrusters on the main ship. Or atleast the numbers shown during construction shows them as identical. Also the docked thrusters don't use onboard power first, but power from the main ship so using docked thrusters with there own onboard power doesn't work.

You can have a docked thruster as a booster to get a slower non-jump ship to combat quicker. The docked thruster would be using power normally put into weapons off the main ship. Can be jettisoned when you get to the battle. If you add a bobby AI it can also act as a heat seeker decoy (If the bobby AI is still required for this).

Reaction score
    outdated comment
    Docked thrusters currently get around the diminishing returns of large numbers of thrusters by allowing smaller groups to be docked to the main ship with no penalty whatsoever.

It's basically an exploit right now.

Last edited:

Olxinos

French fry. Caution: very salty!
    Reaction score
    Docked thrusters currently get around the diminishing returns of large numbers of thrusters by allowing smaller groups to be docked to the main ship with no penalty whatsoever.

It's basically an exploit right now.
    This should have been fixed for a moment now, have you re-tested it recently?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Not really I checked just encase. If you put 2 docked thrusters with 125 blocks each and inherit them they have the exact same thrust and power consumption as 250 blocks on the main ship. It seems to be setup so that it adds all the thruster blocks from all docked entities and considers it as one drive for thrust and power consumption or atleast that's what the construction stats says.

I admit I was trying to get around that limitation plus have them self powered to no avail.

Reaction score
    Not really I checked just encase. If you put 2 docked thrusters with 125 blocks each and inherit them they have the exact same thrust and power consumption as 250 blocks on the main ship. It seems to be setup so that it adds all the thruster blocks from all docked entities and considers it as one drive for thrust and power consumption or atleast that's what the construction stats says.

I admit I was trying to get around that limitation plus have them self powered to no avail.
    Huh looks like you're right, this must have been changed recently.

Good to know that at least some of these exploits are getting removed by schine

Tunk

Who's idea was this?
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Recently was almost 6 months ago, the issue was pointed out and fixed soon after a few of us demonstrated the issues with thrust inheritance being calculated on a per entity basis rather than overall.