Docked shield generator woes

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    I'm sure were all aware of the trick for getting around the regen soft cap. Dock a separate generator to your ship and use a power drain/supply beam to transfer power to the main ship. I thought I could do the same thing with shields in order to get around combat regen (at the cost of making my shield generators themselves virtually defenseless) but ran into a number of problems:
    1. A ship firing a shield supply beam at another ship is considered 'under fire' lowering its regen rate appropriately and making the whole thing worthless.
    2. A ship cannot drain shields from another ship docked to it, even if it is separated by several intermediate ships in a chain.
    The only way I have gotten it to work is by containing the shield generators in a perfectly fitted container and draining power from them, but they pop out if there are any sudden changes in direction or acceleration.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    1. A ship firing a shield supply beam at another ship is considered 'under fire' lowering its regen rate appropriately and making the whole thing worthless.
    Well damn i didn't know that, ruins my plans :mad:

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Sheild transfer, I like :) it's a bit like putting all power to shields I guess, kinda, maybe.

Reaction score
    Charge you modular shield before battle using a shield drain beam ( shield drain beam has 500 base value while recharger has base value 1000-> may be cheaper cost wise but not mass)

or place re-chargers to fill shield capacity (may remove after filled but would lose in battle recharge even if its only 10% of normal).

When in battle activate shield supply beam to transfer shields from the modular shield to the host ship or turrets; time limit of use determined roughly by total modular shield capacity divided by transfer rate.

Technique maybe more worthwhile for turrets than the host ship as it may be possible to completely fill a turrets shield capacity every second or every few seconds -> possibly increasing turret survivability.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    I've only used them in the opposite way - to provide shield regeneration to turrets on the ship. I've noticed that my ship will go into combat mode for shield regeneration sometimes, but seems to cycle out of it after a while.

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    Charge you modular shield before battle using a shield drain beam ( shield drain beam has 500 base value while recharger has base value 1000-> may be cheaper cost wise but not mass)

or place re-chargers to fill shield capacity (may remove after filled but would lose in battle recharge even if its only 10% of normal).

When in battle activate shield supply beam to transfer shields from the modular shield to the host ship or turrets; time limit of use determined roughly by total modular shield capacity divided by transfer rate.

Technique maybe more worthwhile for turrets than the host ship as it may be possible to completely fill a turrets shield capacity every second or every few seconds -> possibly increasing turret survivability.
    Sounds good for turret survivability but otherwise its just an overcomplicated way of sticking more shield recharger on a ship.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Yeah, unfortunately this was added to counteract this.

On the plus side, shield beams are a more viable weapon now because they reduce enemy recharge.