do shields block 100% damage.

Reaction score
    Strictly speaking amcs vs shields. I keep finding little snippets of hull damage on my current project and I'm wondering if it's old damage from a battle back when my shields weren't fully implemented or if when an amc hits one area continulously if it does do slight damage to hull after some damage reduction modifier from a shield

Reaction score
    From what I understand, it will block all AMC damage from hitting the hull.

What I wonder is if a missile has enough damage to overwhelm a shield, will it? Or will it still do no damage?

Reaction score
    ya I\'m not sure on that either. I was just wondering about AMC v Shield since (up until recently anyway) pirates could only use AMCs. so that\'s really the only damage I\'ve had to contend with on single player. So I prolly got that damage from back when my ship was just starting

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    i have the same problem. whenever i get into fights my shields never deplete but i always find atleast 1 block thats been blown away or r damaged.

it seems to be some kind of bug since ive found no evidence that its a feature. however i do see this as a possible feature if it was implemented right

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I have fired missiles that can completely annihilate smaller fully shielded ships, so i guess they can damage shields significantly, even if it is not by that much.

Reaction score
    . But does the missle apply its area damage as well? so for example if a missle damages a 3x3 surface, does the damage apply to the shield at every square of the surface? or just the base damage of the missle on the shield as a whole?

Reaction score
    I think you might be right about it being a bug. I just can\'t feasibly see my current array of maruading pirate ships (the ISANTH VI and a few small ones fom Vecorden industries and Admino shipyards) being able to pierce through my dreadnaught\'a shields. even when I was in development I gave it about 70k worth of shielding and it got eaten through once on account of my stupid turrets from my base and my other ship. But I keep finding little niccks here and there that I thought I had gotten

Reaction score
    I\'ve found it that weapons will pierce shields and even faction-protected homebases on a very slight and random location. When I first started this game, I set one of the stations as my home base, idled there (and of course they didn\'t kill me), they blasted a few holes in my home base.

I\'ve also heard of reports that they sometimes shot through shields, but I\'m not quite sure if that\'s true, since it never happened to me.

Perhaps you ran near the sun? Sun damage ALWAYS affects the Hulls, and NEVER the shields.

Reaction score
    It\'s been sittin in the orbit of my base planet since I started it.But I did notice that when I started up my game today the ship\'s shields were down and charging up. Do ships have zero shielding on server startup? cuz that might\'ve been it. I had a weird occurance once when I had pirates attacking my base before I even spawned in

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Yes, power and shields go to zero when the server is offline, then when the server is online it recharges its power/shields.

Reaction score
    You guys should read news more carefully :p Especially this one:

http://star-made.org/content/starmade-009396-docking-area-fix-shooting-direction-fix

A very old bug that finally got fixed. The bug messed with the direction lasers are shot on clients if fired from another sector. That made it look like players and AI were aiming at completely nothing while they are actually shooting at you. The bullets would still hit on server and players would lose blocks without them seeing getting actually shot.

Only thing that can pass shields is sun damage (don\'t know if intentional). Any other block damage even through 5% shields is a bug that should be reported.

Reaction score
    Yeah I\'m not sure that this is really relevant.

The issue is that sometimes ships take damage even when shields are up.

I just experienced this today, I build my first capital ship with 1.6 Million shields and I had a massive fight where my shields got to 250k-300kish before the battle was over, after the battle I looked at my ship and noticed that I had taken damage. I lost maybe like, 15 blocks total so nothing serious, but I also had over 100 blocks damaged. I\'m not sure how that could have happened, I wasn\'t near the sun and my shields never depleted.

It must be a pretty common bug.

Reaction score
    That\'s exactly what Schema was talking about in the news post. Shields value is not synced with server. If server registers hit but you don\'t, then your ships shield value is different on server than on your screen. You think shields are not gone but on server they are, and that is why blocks get destroyed.

While the projectile orientation might be fixed now, there might linger a bug that is about ship being on more than 1 sector at the time.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    If it\'s a problem with sync, then you\'ll get from 40% shields to 0% (as an example), and the recouver shield timer would have started by the time the client and server syncronize. But that\'s not the case.

Reaction score
    The ship will take hull damage from the sun, through the shields.

The shields do not work on the sun rays.

Reaction score
    Shields do not synchronize at all. It\'s only based on projectiles hitting or not. And they hit differently on server and client.

Reaction score
    So you\'re suggesting that shields are displayed separately across the server and the client. Meaning, my client-side shield display really doesn\'t matter, because the server\'s reading supercedes my client\'s readout.

I would prefer this be done one way or the other. Server-side, so the server sends updates to my client, or client-side, so my client sends updates to the server.

But I can\'t help but doubt your theory, because then if I lose blocks on my client, it is possible that I may not have lost blocks on the server. Or vice versa.

Not really sure how it all works, would be nice to know though.