Do heat seekers use a missile up for each "swarm" entity?

Reaction score
    Do the heat seekers need more missile capacity modules or do they simply "split"?

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    They're not "swarm" missiles any more as of QF. Missile/Cannon (heat seekers) should be one missile capacity per missile, same as everything else.

However, previously, I believe they did split. There is a config option for that.

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Do the heat seekers need more missile capacity modules or do they simply "split"?
    Under vanilla settings, heatseekers just split. Missile capacity is only needed for the initial launch.

At some point, heatseekers were removed from the game under Quickfire settings and replaced with fast-firing lock-on missiles. It's been a while since I used QF configs so they may have changed it again.

In the game's "blockBehaviorConfig.xml", there does not appear to be a line that governs missile capacity used for splitting.
    However, It is possible to make non-split heatseekers by using the line; <Split style="skip"/> ...that would use up capacity.

Apparently you can also make splitting lock-ons using the line; <Split style="buff" value="x"/> (just replace "x" with the number of additional missile you want) ...but that would be broken AF unless you nerf the damage.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score

Apparently you can also make splitting lock-ons using the line; <Split style="buff" value="x"/> (just replace "x" with the number of additional missile you want) ...but that would be broken AF unless you nerf the damage.
    I'd expect splitting to also split the damage value and sphere size between them, but I could be horribly wrong.

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I'd expect splitting to also split the damage value and sphere size between them, but I could be horribly wrong.
    False alarm; I just tested it.

From the XML file.

<Split style="buff" value="9"/>

You are correct The "split" value in this example is a buff that increases the number of projectiles additively (+9 in this case) while dividing total damage by the total number of projectiles. (damage/10 projectiles)

EDIT: There does not appear to be a radius modifier anywhere but in the basic missile settings.

It may just be on my system but I find that multiple swarm outputs cause a bug that prevents all missiles from showing; regardless of graphics settings or even a clean install. Example; my "proving ground" test station has a turret that fires a heat seeker that splits to 10 normally. However, a ship with 8 separate launchers only fires from 2 arrays for a total of 10-12 missiles.

I've had this issue (on my system) for a while but never isolated the cause. YMMV.