DMSCS - Unofficial Modular Ship Classification System [NEW]

ImperialDonut

Overlord of the North Pole
    Reaction score
    10/2/2013 - Added the new automated sheet thanks to Raichor.

10/1/2013 - Overhauled a bunch of things with MichaelSeph's input.

10/1/2013 - Changed CIC coding to be much more recognizable.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alright folks, here's a brandnew ship classification system for you; it's modular, it's awesome and it finally takes the things that matter on your ships and stuffs it into a cool code and/or class name.

-= CIC coding =-

The most important aspect of the system is the CIC codes (or Class Indentification Codes), that take several stats and the type of your ship and combine those into a logical and ultra-compact string of about 8 characters to provide other players and yourself with instant info on your prized creation.

Although they might look a bit daunting at first, with even a tiny bit of practice, it should be childs-play to read the CIC codes, once you realize that most of the symbols are ascending ranges and have distinct formats.

-= Naming System =-

Now, for those of you who think a bunch of seemingly random characters just don't sound cool enough, we also have a class naming system. By combining the mass of your ship with its cost and specific role, you get two words out of the table, combine those and find the name of the class your ship belongs to, more advanced ships equal more badass names!

-= Downloads =-

Here's the full .xlsm automated file (don't forget to enable editing and features if asked):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12530493/DMSCS.xlsm

If you don't have or dislike using MS Excel, here's an image file with the same info:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12530493/DMSCS.jpg

-= Thanks =-

If you like it, spread the word, just start using it and hopefully the rest will follow.

If you don't like it, that's fine, it's why we have a comments section down there.

Special thanks to MichaelSeph for valuable input on mainly balancing and Raichor for automating the excel file for much easier use.

Enjoy classifying your ships, and fly safe!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    This looks pretty straightforward from my quick look (at work, and thus cannot look at it for long), and I suggest everyone adopts this system as a suffix thing on their uploaded ships at least so others can identify the capabilities of a completed ship you\'re sharing.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Pretty awsome,just too bad not everyone can use it,seeing as certain factions may have organized custom classes like [REDACTED] and [REDACTED].

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Master Builder Bronze
    nvm. i looked at the chart again, and i saw what was going on. xD i have a nimble 500m ship

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Good work on this, man! The CIC code is really useful as an universal classificator.

The naming system creates some pretty weird names tough, but not too much of a deal.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Go on this guys, start adding the proper tags to your ships, and try adding a link to here on it too :D So people know what\'s it about. This IS made between few official testers/mods (including me), so it\'s the closest to proper classification you get for now...

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    I\'d like to propose this idea: The Damascus (DMSCS) System. Because it sounds cool and ancient Damascus was known as a focal point in the bronze age to iron age change over. To this day many high quality iron alloys are reffered to as Damascus steel.

Reaction score
    This seems like the most accurate class system i\'ve seen, but it doesnt look like itwill catch on unless it becomes official, (seriously can we get an officialclass system XD

Reaction score
    This seems like the most accurate class system i\'ve seen, but it doesnt look like itwill catch on unless it becomes official, (seriously can we get an officialclass system XD