Displayed speed isn't the actual one

Reaction score
    I made a little test to check whether the speed displayed is... well, the real one. Basically, how much time does it take to run the length of a 6km ship, considering the server speed is 225km/h.

In theory, 6km is 6.000 meters (no, I must be joking?! o_O), and 225km/h is 225 / 3.6 m/s, or 62.5 m/s. In this case, the acceleration is extremely high to make sure it doesn't impact the final result that much. So, 6.000 / 62.5 = 96 seconds.

Now, I tried it, and managed to do it in... about 28 seconds. Maybe even a bit less than that. Which is kinda funny considering that 96 / 3.6 = 26 seconds, that's almost 28 seconds. So basically the speed displayed is... in meters/seconds?

Mmh, time to change the unit? :3

PS : I don't know if that's the best place to put it, that's not really a suggestion, nor a bug, so... a mod can move it at his/her discretion :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    change the unit in what way it isn't changing to imperial only a few countries use imperial. or do you mean something else

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Do you mean the calculations for the speed on starmade is wrong

Reaction score
    Put simply, when it says your speed is 200 kilometers per hour, it's in fact 200 meters per second.

Reaction score
    So basically the speed displayed is... in meters/seconds?
    True. You're not the first one to notice this. I guess that in the time before the bug tracker it was not important enough to keep track of, but I guess we could record it now. However, I believe that at some point we will get "StarMade units" for better immersion.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    However, I believe that at some point we will get "StarMade units" for better immersion.
    Star metres :)

How do you want realistic acceleration on planets if same acceleration would bring you to max speed and is similar to warp 9 in-between sectors?

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Star metres :)
    We could go the original Battlestar Galactaca route, and use metric-sounding custom names. I nominate the (drumroll please) speed/distance term:
    Starcron

With all the usual metric subunits: microstarcrons, kilostarcrons, etc.

The name could be both the distance, and the distance in seconds, so it could double as a speed name. Why a new speed name? Well, we could explain it away with technobabble. Maybe say it is the unit that accommodates space/time dilation, gravimetric distortions, relativity, etc., and just happens to correspond with m/s...:rolleyes:

A quick search check of the term "starcron":
    A fuel system cleaner (startron)
    A special browser related to Starsports (starcron)
    An acrylic topcoat paint (starcron)

In short, nothing embarrassing, or easily litigious.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I am in favour of "x jumps" for long and "0..1 sol" for short distances.