Display wedges, View screens, and Opaque on/off windows

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Display wedges. a display block that works at a wedged angle. mostly just needed in my opinion for the ability to use it in ships as a sort of. view screen. doesn't really even need to be able to have text put on them

View screens. i don't know if this is possible but if it is it would be a really cool and neat addition. blocks that you can link to a camera. and it displays the view from that camera on the block. the block would come in wedges and blocks. and the large the screen the more it would stretch the image across it.

Opaque windows. windows that when you activate them would go Opaque. not see through. the blocks themselves would remain there but the texture would change on them.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Display wedges. a display block that works at a wedged angle. mostly just needed in my opinion for the ability to use it in ships as a sort of. view screen. doesn't really even need to be able to have text put on them
    Display blocks are indeed in need for some expansion. Wedged variant of a block should be considered, but I'm more in favor for using them on stations, which requires font sizes based on line height (font size 2 = double sized fonts) for better visibility from distance, ability to change background texture/color, text scrolling and extended linkage to other blocks, such as rails, logic (if/then), storage etc.
    View screens. i don't know if this is possible but if it is it would be a really cool and neat addition. blocks that you can link to a camera. and it displays the view from that camera on the block. the block would come in wedges and blocks. and the large the screen the more it would stretch the image across it.
    Extremely unlikely. It takes a great deal of memory to render proxy displays in any game, and I wouldn't expect Schine engine to be an exception in that regard.

Opaque windows. windows that when you activate them would go Opaque. not see through. the blocks themselves would remain there but the texture would change on them.
    I agree. Basic Glass is a transparent alternative to Hull, and Crystal armor is a transparent alternative to Advanced armor. This "polarized glass" would be a great transparent alternative to Standard armor.

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Yea, I really would like to have a transparent version of standard armor, so that I don't have to either give my ships super weak windows or make the windows the strongest point. A polarizing version of all the glass wold be great.

As for the display screens, while an actual proxy display would be rather performance intensive, I have another idea. How about being able to have screens display stats on ships? Here is what I was thinking. One could link a display to a scanner. If a ship is within a certain range (based on the scanners range, but less than its detection radius), you could use the scanner while that ship is your selected target, and that would scan it. Then, the screen would display a wireframe image of that ship, with readouts on its shields, armor HP, and power, as well as perhaps more in depth information such as number of power and shield blocks, number of thrusters, Ect. If the ship is within scanning range, the readouts will update, but they will stay the same if the ship is outside that range. The screen could also display information and an image of your own ship, but you would not need to scan it. If they changed how screens work a bit, they could even allow you to zoom in and rotate a 3D wireframe diagram of the ship. Since it is all wireframe, it would not strain computers much. The only difficulty would be turning the ship into a wireframe I suppose, but I imagine it could be done.

TheBlueThunder

Algorithm of hacks
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    +1
    I like this idea, like CCTV mod of minecraft, it would be really cool to have in starmade when we wouldn't need to fly using the core we could use the core to connect with a wedge as the chair and use those displays as view screens.