Display Module to Input Percentage

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    I did a quick search to see if this has been suggested but I didn't look for too long. Sorry if it has been. The new password system and logic really made it seem like this idea would be possible in the future.

Say you wanted a rail to travel at 001% max speed. You would need to attach 100 activation modules to the speed controller and turn all of them off except 1. It would be a hell of a lot easier if we could attach a display module to the controller and just type a percentage we want to use to get the same effect. Would be a huge space and time saver.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    That could be expanded on quite a bit. Suppose you just link this "percentage" block to various other blocks, and the percentage indicates how many of those blocks should be enabled. Now you can easily scale down systems for power savings, and you could have someone play as an engineer who prioritizes and distributes power based on your current needs. Shields, thrusters, jump drive, scanner, weapons...you could easily turn off most of your high-alpha-strike primary weapon to conserve power and still be able to fire it at reduced damage potential. And this could be really interesting if connected to weapon secondaries and tertiaries to quickly change effect percentages, not to mention your example of rail speed controller.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Say you wanted a rail to travel at 001% max speed. You would need to attach 100 activation modules to the speed controller and turn all of them off except 1. It would be a hell of a lot easier if we could attach a display module to the controller and just type a percentage we want to use to get the same effect. Would be a huge space and time saver.
    Two words: rail rotators!

Reaction score
    That's not what he meant Mal
    but this is also an important function for the % display block.
    Also for the sensor block, not just rail speed controller

It would be nice if i don't need 1000blocks to give me 99.9% full notice for my logic jump drive

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    That's not what he meant Mal
    It was suggested to input the desired angle directly into a rail rotator block to allow for smaller steps than 45°, but schema didn't like that, since it wouldn't match the usual style (which is why I'm happy, that we can at least input text into displays directly, instead of binary ASCII code via activators). For the exact same reason we can't just input the desired percentage directly into rail speed controllers or sensors. Using displays linked to rail speed controllers, rail rotators and sensors would be a good compromise.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    That could be expanded on quite a bit. Suppose you just link this "percentage" block to various other blocks, and the percentage indicates how many of those blocks should be enabled. Now you can easily scale down systems for power savings, and you could have someone play as an engineer who prioritizes and distributes power based on your current needs. Shields, thrusters, jump drive, scanner, weapons...you could easily turn off most of your high-alpha-strike primary weapon to conserve power and still be able to fire it at reduced damage potential. And this could be really interesting if connected to weapon secondaries and tertiaries to quickly change effect percentages, not to mention your example of rail speed controller.
    I so want this kind of game play.

Reaction score
    And, if combined with the chat channels suggestion, this could allow you to send a fleet into deep space, give it (And a dozen others) attack commands or something, and then disable their thrusters. Later, with the press of just one button, set them all loose. Semi-automated fleets, anyone? Set them to attack the sector your base is in, and suddenly you have automatic defense fleets (When hooked up to logic based on the monitoring of base's shield strength).

If the base gets destroyed, then how about a vengeance fleet that automatically attacks your enemies' bases?