Suggested Display Module Improvements

What would you like to have display modules showing?

• Armor Status (current/total)

Votes: 15 71.4%
    • Hull status (current/total)

Votes: 14 66.7%
    • Total Ship Blocks (current/total/destroyed)

Votes: 7 33.3%
    • Storage (current/Max)

Votes: 12 57.1%
    • Ship speed (current/Max)

Votes: 11 52.4%
    • Weapon damage

Votes: 4 19.0%
    • Set displays trough logic

Votes: 9 42.9%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    I think that it would be a great improvement if there were MORE variables that could be shown on the display modules. One in particular I want is to be able to show Current and Maximum storage on the ship.

If you have any suggestions that aren't in the poll, please post them bellow.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Hey J05H912, In this video you can see various tricks with display blocks, at 1:36 you can see how to display the variables power, power capacity, shield and shield capacity.

If you aren't able to watch the video due to lack of time or anything else, here is a typed version of that part:
    if you type [power] in the display module it will automatically show the current power
    [powerCap] to show power capacity (capital sensitive)
    [shield] for current shield
    [shieldCap] for shield capacity.

Hope that will do :D

Reaction score
    He's asking for more variables that are not implemented yet.
    I would add info about the armor and hull. Also the total blocks of the ship and the blocks left (to know how many of them have been destroyed). And of course a percent for all the current/max values (like showing the % of shield, energy, armor, etc).

Reaction score
    Hey J05H912, In this video you can see various tricks with display blocks, at 1:36 you can see how to display the variables power, power capacity, shield and shield capacity.

If you aren't able to watch the video due to lack of time or anything else, here is a typed version of that part:
    if you type [power] in the display module it will automatically show the current power
    [powerCap] to show power capacity (capital sensitive)
    [shield] for current shield
    [shieldCap] for shield capacity.

Hope that will do :D
    was hoping for more things other than those :)

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Why can I only select 3 things in the poll?! I WANT THEM ALL!

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Purchased!
    The speed of the ship has a representation in the UI, the display module should have other values, armor, hull, storage ... and why not ... the damage of a weapon When you link With her computer, Interact with logic like rails, change the text using other displays ...

Recognized - Display Module change with Logic Signal

Reaction score
    The speed of the ship has a representation in the UI, the display module should have other values, armor, hull, storage ... and why not ... the damage of a weapon When you link With her computer, Interact with logic like rails, change the text using other displays ...

Recognized - Display Module change with Logic Signal
    I was thinking for people that aren't piloting the ship for the speed. (eg people walking around in it)
    [DOUBLEPOST=1462115870,1462115762][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Why can I only select 3 things in the poll?! I WANT THEM ALL!
    It's now 4. LOL

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Purchased!
    I was thinking for people that aren't piloting the ship for the speed. (eg people walking around in it)
    That´s what i mean.. people spend 70-75% time on building space ships/stations, 20% time on wwalking around and maybe 10-5% time flying with it, display modules have more uses when the player see it walking, not flying :) ... but its only my personal opinion

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor
    [DOUBLEPOST=1462115870,1462115762][/DOUBLEPOST]
    It's now 4. LOL
    STILL.NOT.ENOUGH

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Purchased!
    I have started using the display modules for holographic signs around my station but have never used them for anything else and cannot imagine myself using them for anything else.

BJammin

Part-Time Eldritch Abomination
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    As far as RP-oriented builds are concerned, being able to use these extra stats on displays would make them sooo much nicer.

ToasterBorst

Formerly known as Weishaupt
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Wired for Logic
    SkylordLuke is this in the frequently suggested megathread already? Should be.

As for more variables, I want them all. Love my display modules, working on a "holograffiti" pack amongst other things. :)
    There is a lot that can be discussed about displays, though I think if the team was ready to address it then we'd already have more variables. So for now, I kinda sit on the discussion and keep evolving my ideas and techniques.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Would be great when displays were able to show , what cameras shows , while you sit in you captains chair, but this is not possible, is it ?

Reactions: kikaha
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I want displays to show everything. I'd really like it if it could do a breakdown of cargo, and through C-V linkage displays can show certain combinations of cargo stores and exclude some if needed. That would make warehouses very nifty.

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I agree that there should be more variables to display modules. There is a similar thread, Display Module, which I had responded to previously. Personally, I think a complete solution would be preferable. My reply there had 7 positive likes or agrees. I'll repost it here as a quote. Let me know what you think. :)

Math is essential. Perhaps something like $calc(%variable1% - %variable2% + %variable3% * (%variable4% + %variable5%)), also %INT(), $round(), etc.

I also suggest having a variable for every stat of the ship that is currently available in the DEL menu. And in addition, add local variables, which return values for systems the display module is connected to. For example, if you connect a display module to a damage beam computer, the variable %Modules% returns the amount of damage beam modules connected to it. %damage% is the average damage per shot (added together, in the case of damage beam). %damage(1)% is the damage value of the first group per shot. %damage(2)% is the damage of the second group (if there is a second group, otherwise it returns nothing). Other examples of local variables would be, %reloadtime%, %Groupings%, %cooltime% (this would give a value between 1 and 100 for the percentage left to recharge on weapons or charged for a scanner/jump computer). For the sake of clarity, I would suggest limiting the number of of weapons/effect/whatever computers the display module can connect to be only 1.

If we want to go even further, we can have a scripting system as well. There could be "If/than/else/elseif", "for" loops, custom variables, and perhaps even functions (or methods as they are called in java). Though I think custom variables and functions should be set or scripted in a new block called a "Computer" and NOT in a display module. The display module would need to connect to a computer in order to call the function or custom variable. All functions would need to return a value in order to work - it could even be a blank value.

For example, when using a computer, you would have different tabs available to edit. One is the "variables" tab. In that, you can type something like "MyVariable=Word" or MyVariable=$calc(%shieldCap%-%shields). Then in an attached display module, the player can simply type "%MyVariable%" for it to return whatever it is set to, calculating the value if it need be.
    Another example would be if a player opens up a computer, switches to the "Functions" tab, and creates a function. Here would be an example script that would be designed to display different info, depending on the state of the shields.

1. The player places a computer, opens the computer an adds the following to the "functions" tab:
    MyScript{
    If $calc(%shieldCap%-%Shields%) == 0 {
    Then { return "SHIELDS ARE DOWN" }
    ElseIf $calc(%shields%/%shieldCap%) < 1 { return "Shields are at: " $int($calc(%shields% / %shieldCap%))
    Else { return "SHIELDS ARE FULL! YAY!" }
    }
    2. The player places a display module and connects it to the computer.
    3. The player edits the text of the display module and types in simply: $MyScript

The result would be that the display module shows "SHIELDS ARE DOWN" if the shields are at 0. If somewhere in between full and empty, it shows the percentage of shields. And if full, it shows "SHIELDS ARE FULL! YAY!."

Of course, the options I discuss here could be implemented from simple to complex, but these would help improve the usage of display modules dramatically.