Display block: option to transfer value of variable instead of reference

Thalanor

CEO Snataris Colonial Fleetyards
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Let A,B be display blocks.
    A has "[shieldPercent]" written on it. An activation block next to A is linked to B and switched on. B will now have "[shieldPercent]" stored as data, too (still displaying the number, but the data is not the same as the number as string).

I suggest there to be a "reverse escape": \[shieldPercent] will transfer the value of shieldPercent at the time of the transfer. B would then have "100.0" written on it, or some other value.

Possible uses:
    - LOGS. Navigation logs (lists last 10 sectors visited), Shield logs, ....
    - Another way to query for certain specific values. Comparing a display block with "100.0" on it, and a display block with "\[shieldPercent]" on it would be TRUE if shieldPercent actually was 100.0 at that time. Works the same way with cloaked, jammed, docked.... or even check if your ship is in your home sector!
    - Stuff.

Reactions: Lone_Puppy

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    There's another thread with similar suggestions. I was hoping the value of the variable was transfered so I could use the sector value for auto navigation. Sadly, it did not turn out that way. :(

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    This needs to happen. I just tried to use regex to turn [shieldPercent] into a status bar, only to find out you can't use regex on these variables. :(

Bench, is this the kind of feature upgrade that we can expect to see in the future?

Thanks

TheGT

Chief Janitorial, Second Legion, Fourth Squadron
    Reaction score
    Support professed, I would love to see this in game.