Recognized Diseases on planets

serge1944

Grand Admiral of The Infection Initiative
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Diseases on planets to make some planets more chalenging and dangerous to explore.
    Thoes planet will contain the best blocks but you can effected and pass this to the entire galaxy.
    You will have to research for cures or ask locals that know about a cure.
    You can take this disease and use it as biological warfare.
    Some diseases can mutate you and give you benefits.

Reactions: Andem and NeonSturm
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I like this suggestion. We could also have a variant of disease that are AI hive mind nano-viruses which have taken over their creators and planet/ system. Gameplay wise, this would cause the bobby AI of your ship or your crew to turn against you if not sufficiently protected against the virus while going to the planet.

Reaction score
    A good idea. This will be especially relevant with new crew mechanics. There are already plans for a "morale" system. Overall health of a crew or population could factor into that.

Planets themselves should not have diseases. If you land on an unpopulated planet there is no reason to get sick. If you land on a planet with a large population and poor hygiene, you will likely have problems.

Anywhere were people exist, there is disease.

Reactions: jgames666
    Reaction score
    Broomsage said:
    Planets themselves should not have diseases. If you land on an unpopulated planet there is no reason to get sick.
    Gonna have to disagree there just a little bit.
    If there is LIFE on said planet, then it is possible to catch a Virus or Bacterium (collectively, disease) from one of the life-forms.

For Gameplay purposes, this should probably be limited to Fauna, rather than Flora (Plants), since all the planet types currently have Flora.
    (while I don't doubt in the least that the devs are designing animal life for all the world types, giving them options to limit something as potentially game changing as disease can't hurt)

And if Earth is any indicator, wild animals should be host to many kinds of parasite, (or symbiote) that we would not necessarily be immune to.
    EX: Fleas and Ticks on most forms of "furry" animals, Fungal infections, the common cold (rhinovirus is a stubborn thing).
    and Mosquitos. Those things have been the Typhoid Mary for far too many diseases recently.

Now, I fully agree with you regarding any world that doesn't have life on it. (especially so the proverbial "barren moon")

Reaction score
    But what about nonliving "diseases"? Like powerful and strange magnetic field emiting objects! Or nanobots! Or non-nanobots! Or radioactive material! I think this is more about certain areas having effects on the game than just diseases on a planet.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1455057331,1455055537][/DOUBLEPOST]
    (especially so the proverbial "barren moon")
    You know why that moon is barren? Because a plutonium asteroid hit it, or a futurisic borglike society landed a little nanobot there that took over the planet with copies of it's self(or made it's self into a humanoid shape, then took over the planet!). Maybe the planet has supermagnets dropped from the wreak of a giant supercarrier that can be used to make new things!

Reaction score
    But what about nonliving "diseases"? Like powerful and strange magnetic field emiting objects! Or nanobots! Or non-nanobots! Or radioactive material! I think this is more about certain areas having effects on the game than just diseases on a planet.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1455057331,1455055537][/DOUBLEPOST]
    You know why that moon is barren? Because a plutonium asteroid hit it, or a futurisic borglike society landed a little nanobot there that took over the planet with copies of it's self(or made it's self into a humanoid shape, then took over the planet!). Maybe the planet has supermagnets dropped from the wreak of a giant supercarrier that can be used to make new things!
    Or maybe it's barren just because conditions in space are generally inhospitable to life. LOL. However I get what you're saying. Not all non-inhabited worlds should necessarily be safe from possible harm either. There should be a balance between the two. (Danger and Safety)

Reaction score
    Or maybe it's barren just because conditions in space are generally inhospitable to life. There should be a balance between the two. (Danger and Safety)
    Definately, I think that there should be a 1 in 10(5?) chance to find a diseased planet, the disease could have neutral effects(or only affects other things(armor blocks are heavier in this planet(magnetics)) or could be negative(player is poisoned or unshielded ships take sun damage), or it could be positive(player steadily healed, ships slowly heal (as with astrotech)).

Reaction score
    Definately, I think that there should be a 1 in 10(5?) chance to find a diseased planet, the disease could have neutral effects(or only affects other things(armor blocks are heavier in this planet(magnetics)) or could be negative(player is poisoned or unshielded ships take sun damage), or it could be positive(player steadily healed, ships slowly heal (as with astrotech)).
    Those chances are an interesting thought. I think one in 5 would be a bit chaotic, but I like rare things to be more rare in most games. It gives you things to hunt for, So I'd have to say 1 out of like 30 - 50 planets OR have it in the server config like the special planet chance to spawn is now.

Reaction score
    Those chances are an interesting thought. I think one in 5 would be a bit chaotic, but I like rare things to be more rare in most games. It gives you things to hunt for, So I'd have to say 1 out of like 30 - 50 planets OR have it in the server config like the special planet chance to spawn is now.
    I was thinking it would be more of the chance te planet would have an effect, any noticable effect would probably be much rarer.

Reaction score
    How rare its is should be a non issue, it all about conditions. If you have 12 guys in a ship built for one, no bathrooms, no showers , no medical equipment you will absolutely get sick.

Gameplay wise, there should be a way for a crew to never have problems with disease. Its frustrating if everybody gets sick and dies because of negligence, its rage inducing if a disease just arbitrarily wipes out half of your crew.

I want a 100% you will get sick if you do this and a you can 100% prevent it if you do this.

Not realistic but makes for an interesting mechanic rather than a rage inducing random event.

Reaction score
    How rare its is should be a non issue, it all about conditions. If you have 12 guys in a ship built for one, no bathrooms, no showers , no medical equipment you will absolutely get sick.

Gameplay wise, there should be a way for a crew to never have problems with disease. Its frustrating if everybody gets sick and dies because of negligence, its rage inducing if a disease just arbitrarily wipes out half of your crew.

I want a 100% you will get sick if you do this and a you can 100% prevent it if you do this.

Not realistic but makes for an interesting mechanic rather than a rage inducing random event.
    I would like to see catastrophic diseases as a config option to allow diseases that can't be cured to exist. Also this would allow the occasional death of a crew member for unknown diseases, but there should be ways to reduce the chance of this happening. Sometimes diseases just can't be countered.

Reaction score
    Yes. We desperately need more danger in the starmade universe, and this is just one of the ways to implement that. Yassss.