Discussion on Ground Units

Reaction score
    Question: For those with Anti-Personnel Security Drones, how, if possible, do you get them to roam on the ground, and not just fly off when they detect a threat.

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I can't speak for the others but my security units are actually turrets shaped like tanks/power armor. You could, however, put them on a 3rd entity set up on rails to make 'patrol routes'. Unfortunately, they won't stop when a hostile is detected (not without a LOT of extra logic).

My security units are best used at entrances and pinch points inside a base to deny access by deterring/killing enemies trying to enter a restricted area.

Reactions: greatmatt
    Reaction score
    Ah okay, thank you.

If nothing else, this gives me an idea to make a little mech suit instead of a space scooter for getting around.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    E="Thadius Faran, post: 318596, member: 303591"]
    [/QUOTE]

Well now that is just about the sexiest thing I have ever seen

Hey+gurl_807c0d_4501490.jpg

greatmatt

Conqueror of Worlds, Voice Of The Singularity
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    @Dr.Whammy They are quite cool, though sadly not that usefully ingame...yet, hopefully the devs will redo ground/astronaut combat and the marine and utility armor become useful rather than mostly novelty, as it wouldn`t be very usefull for boarding combat as it sadly cannot use the torch beam, since it is technically a ship. Therefore, it is relagated to mostly looking cool and being some basic anti boarding defense(hmmm putting it on rails and modifying the arm so it can shoot more turret like...or perhaps going with a track based flat toped system to patrol around my corridors...hmmm)

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    @Dr.Whammy They are quite cool, though sadly not that usefully ingame...yet, hopefully the devs will redo ground/astronaut combat and the marine and utility armor become useful rather than mostly novelty, as it wouldn`t be very usefull for boarding combat as it sadly cannot use the torch beam, since it is technically a ship. Therefore, it is relagated to mostly looking cool and being some basic anti boarding defense(hmmm putting it on rails and modifying the arm so it can shoot more turret like...or perhaps going with a track based flat toped system to patrol around my corridors...hmmm)
    Umm... You asked for a copy of these things right?. Did you actually test the units I gave you?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Felt a little inspired after reading this to make my own power suits. Even decided to rig up a drop ship with some open bays to drop the suits mid-atmos. Though I haven't started the ship yet I did managed to whip up a suit real quick. It's based on an older attempt at a mecha.

To be honest though in the current state of the game I don't even use dropships anymore. I actually use telepads. Small discs that hold a teleporter which is linked to a larger mothership. In the event I'd like to visit a planet I simply deploy one onto the surface and freely move back and forth. Which is extremely convenient.

To make life easier on myself I included a recovery system as well to pull the pad back up onto the mothership once I'm done with the planet.

If I really wanted to use a ground vehicle though I think the game would need just two changes before it were feasible...
    1. Friction! So stuff can actually move on the ground.
    2. Vehicle cores that scale down blocks. That way I'm not building something in a hyper confined area to try and make it somewhat to scale.

Reactions: Levarith
    Reaction score
    Built this little guy. Thoughts? Damage is against a shielded target. Haven't tested unshielded yet.

left arm 2 cannon/1 cannon/2 punch =27 damage per shot
    right arm 2 missile/2 punch = 537 dmg per shot starmade-screenshot-0002.png

Reaction score
    Built this little guy. Thoughts? Damage is against a shielded target. Haven't tested unshielded yet.

left arm 2 cannon/1 cannon/2 punch =27 damage per shot
    right arm 2 missile/2 punch = 537 dmg per shotView attachment 34942
    Microsuit. Mine are 5 blocks tall, by 5 wide. Might actually be bigger - they make copious use of slabs and are primarily anti-astronaut weapons. Although if you're stuck on a planet without a ship or the materials to get one, and these start raining down, well, you're doomed. Sorry, but you absolutely are. Unless you've got your own terrain-shredding antipersonnel weaponry on hand, that is. They also come equipped with a shield generator block, to make use of the ingrained 220 capacity, making it significantly more difficult for astronauts to kill them than it would otherwise be. Heck, they might have enough to make it impossible for astronaut weapons to destroy them, at least the basic pistol. And they're made of advanced armor, which might as well be indestructible as far as astronaut weaponry is concerned, lol.

greatmatt

Conqueror of Worlds, Voice Of The Singularity
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I abandoned my old shipyard thread and made a new one completely dedicated to more RP stuff like satellites, ground units (ground, air, sea), colony modules, planet-to-orbit systems, etc... this is all i can show for now, in a few weeks i shall have 9 completely new ground units... ALL HAIL PLANETARY WARFARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Scypio
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    AFS Archelon

I love the maschinenkrueger model kits, the problem is they do not translate well into starmade. All my attempts at power armor look quite dumb.

That said, this Utility Armor. was an amazing concept and i love using it. it is great if you use it to tunnel around planets: you destroy blocks you hate with the lazer, and mine useful materials with the salvage beam.

it has given me ideas for a radar jammed boarding suit. so far my designs look too ugly, and do not fit in hallways.