DISCUSS! Hull Repair/Regeneration

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Systems I think should not be repairable, but hull definitely yes. I think it would be cool to have armour repairers like in EVE Online.

Reactions: Dellexe
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen
    Systems I think should not be repairable, but hull definitely yes. I think it would be cool to have armour repairers like in EVE Online.
    systems should be repairable (well make a new type of each block that repairs itself but for a high energy cost so if the shipt akes a fair bit of damage its gunna need to dock to something with a better power source)

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    it would be awesome if the astrotech beam could be linked to a storage block and replace missing blocks. Kind of like a mini ship yard. Then you could have mini repair drones that you could release.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    You shouldn't be able to repair systems outside a shipyard. Otherwise, why would you ever use a shipyard for repairs?

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    If it's more cost efficient to use shipyards, then why would anyone use mobile versions?
    For convenience. If I can use a tech drone or pilot my own mini repair ship that I keep docked on the mother ship to fix it right then and there, even though it would cost almost twice as much, then I may do that (depending on the amount of repairs required). Instead of having to go back to home base and wait for the shipyard to be vacant.

Or maybe I just need to get the armor back up in the middle of a battle, I may risk sending out a drone to repair my armor in the middle of a fight, if it means I can stay in the fight that much longer.

This could be a role for support ships as well. Every group in RPG's has a healer.
    There are many other games out there were it is more efficient to leave a battle, rest, and heal, than it is to use a potion of healing.

I'm sure there are many more examples that I can't think of right now.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Yeah it would be like a first aid kit. It's a lot better and more aiding to go to a hospital and have a doctor help you, but when that is not in the vicinity, i.e. mid combat or deep space, the first aid kit would be ideal for the time being.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I remember other space games where there was an onboard repair system. It repaired things very very slowly, and might not repair it all the way (maybe only up to 50% or 80% of the original system's efficiency), but it was an absolute thrill when a shattered system suddenly buzzed to life, and I wasn't quite so hopeless as before. In short, on-board repair was FUN.

You don't even need to use new blocks. Just re-use tech repair or even shipyard stuff. (Capital-class ships could have more repair efficiency than smaller vessels.) We don't even need new hull systems. We can simulate organic hull by slaving hull blocks (or rock blocks, or whatever) to the repair system, which would then modify the base values in exchange for repair-ability.

With block-slaving you could even mix-and-match which hull blocks were organic or not. For instance, you might want to slave the entire outer shell so that the overall shape can regenerate, but leave the underlying secondary shell as regular, unregenerating armor for increased HP values.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    You don't even need to use new blocks. Just re-use tech repair or even shipyard stuff. (Capital-class ships could have more repair efficiency than smaller vessels.) We don't even need new hull systems. We can simulate organic hull by slaving hull blocks (or rock blocks, or whatever) to the repair system, which would then modify the base values in exchange for repair-ability.
    I'd imagine people would want an organic hull because it would have more natural shades of colors as well... Plus, an organic hull that required plants to be produced (and allowing plants to be farmed) would be awesome.

Reaction score
    I mostly want an alternative to shields, other than simply having thick enough armour to be able to make it home, but then you have to pay for the defense in blocks every battle whereas shields is just energy. Granted, if you shield tanked in EVE and didn't bother to swap on armour/hull repairers then you still had to pay for your repairs in that game too.

I'm a tank/support/healer player RP wise, so I approve of finding an alternate method of defense that doesn't feel like I'd be throwing blocks away.

The only way to do that would be to abstract an 'armour health' value, which just means its the same mechanic as shields but with no sustained cost if your armour HP is full. The only meaningful difference this would make in defense is having alternate tank styles in your fleet so that your opponents couldn't equip only anti-shield guns and win, or only armour/block piercing ones. However, I don't like the idea of abstracting armour health value, then it takes away from the hull design of physically protecting your systems with several meters of plating.

I currently see little use for the Astrotech module, perhaps make it affect all blocks on the target ship but at a lower rate? that sounds like a massive lag headache thou. I'm tired and should go to bed, as I don't think I've actually added anything to this discussion, hopefully some of my rambling provides ideas for others.

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    The problem with shields vs armor is:
    Shields have an upfront cost, and are free thereafter, assuming your ship doesn't get totaled.
    Armor has an upfront cost, and by it's designed cost material to be useful.
    Basically material cost vs energy cost. But in Starmade energy is free.... hence the imbalance.
    and until energy costs fuel or something else, the imbalance will remain.

Reaction score
    a shield capacitor + charger is 2 blocks giving 110 shield HP

an ADV armor block has 250HP 75% damage reduction and 100 armor HP for a total of 650hp x2 is 1300

so its 1300 hp vs 110 hp when you are having a fight between shields and armor
    this is the point the dude with armor says GG and blasts through your shield boat in one second

regen would be awesome, but not a good idea if it can happen during combat because an armored ball is already nigh indestructible

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Out of combat emergency repair style? Sure.

Hull reappearing mid fight? Nope.

Reaction score
    i would like something like they have in FTD with little drones that fly and repair stuff with the resources you have onboard.

They can even repair in battle, because they have travel time and you need resources for them to work there by sacrificing block to cargo